AVS Forum banner

3121 - 3140 of 6829 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Li On,

Check the data rates in the VP30 for the serial port. It must be set to 19200. This is different from earlier versions of the firmware load process. If the VP30 serial port rate is set to something else, what you describe is what will happen.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon /forum/post/0

Check the data rates in the VP30 for the serial port. It must be set to 19200. This is different from earlier versions of the firmware load process. If the VP30 serial port rate is set to something else, what you describe is what will happen.

I run at a rate of 57600 on both the VP30 and TT and do software updates all the time with no problems. One thing that is different is that the VP30 serial port rate now defaults to 19200 instead of 57600 (although this doesn't appear to matter for the update as long as you have TT set to 57600 - I just tried this to be sure). The hardware flow control setting is absolutely required (but this is apparently set correctly according to Li On). The only way I've successfully done updates is with the TT setting at 57600 and hardware handshaking.

- Dale Adams

·
Registered
3 Posts
Come on UK Guys lets ask again !

Any news on UK order procedures for the Precision Deinterlacing Card for the VP30 with the Introductory Discount.?

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Li On - make sure you check every setting and box in tera term as per the online instructions. I missed one the first time thru (sorry - forget which one) and had same results as you. went back, reread instructions, found the setting buried in a sub menu I missed, put a check in the box, and all went as it was supposed to.

tho, if it makes any difference, I'm lucky enough to have a serial port on my computer - no adapters or convertors probably helps.

·
Registered
516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li On /forum/post/0

How to update the VP30 software/firmware? My friend's unit is on 1.00

I downloaded the 1.05 .abt file and Tera Term Pro for PC. Install the Tera Term, config it according to the http://www.dvdo.com/update/update-vp.php (Transmit: CR+LF, Flow Control: Hardware etc). Select "Software Update" on the VP30 and got the "Please load the .abt file now..." prompt in Tera Term.

Select "Send File" and make sure Binary mode is selected. And select the 1.05 abt file to transmit. Tera Term starts the transmition and count the transmited unit. But the VP30 front panel still shown "Load .abt file now.." and never change to "Loading...*" as shown on DVDO's web. After a while the Tera Term finish the send file, but the VP30 is still at "Load .abt file now..". I unplug the VP30 power and tried again with same result.

What to do now? Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

Make sure you follow the instructions on the download page for configuring tera term, in particular make sure you switched to CR+LF, and flow control to hardware. Even with that, the USB to serial connector that I got didn't work (failed at around 840K of the transfer) and had to unhook the VP30 and haul it next to a machine with a real serial port to do the transfer.

eric

·
Registered
49 Posts
I currently have the HD+. It was my first processor, so I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of improvements. Like may others, the most glaring need was a way to improve the quality of the images from SD signals. I was also curious to see how much it would improve DVD and HD images as well, so I started with the HD+. Before I decide to spend more money to upgrade, I have been waiting to see what updates DVDO was going to make to the VP30 or if they were going to come out with a new product that would dramatically improve image quality and compete with some of the more expensive processors.

I was wondering if DVDO could not provide us example images to show the improvements between the HD+, VP30, and the VP30 with the new Deinterlacing card. (Like some of the other vendors have done) I think that would be a big help in making my decision and might help with customer expectations. I apologize if those images are already available or if it is not possible. They could use examples from standard test DVDs or favorite scenes that many people would be familiar with. (Maybe that wouldn't work because of copyright laws, but they could come up with something to demonstrate the improvements) If it really works, then it should help convince people to purchase the upgrade.

·
UHD Addict
38,017 Posts

Quote:

Li On,

It takes a long time to update at 57Kbs, it must take forever at 19kbs.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/0

It takes a long time to update at 57Kbs, it must take forever at 19kbs.

eight minutes? certainly no more than 10. I couldn't even find an option on the VP30 to go faster than 19. Based on the warnings, I wanted top speed myself, but 19200 (?) was the fastest option on the menu. And it really didn't take that long - had I known it was that easy and painless, would have done it sooner.

·
UHD Addict
38,017 Posts
I thought it defaulted to a higer rate. I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Just got my PJ back and rehooked up everything. Now when the VP30 outputs [email protected] (essentially pass thru from cable box) the image is set at 4:3 and shows just a zoomed in portion of an upper left side of the image. Really odd. Wasn't doing this before. When I go directly to the PJ from the cable box with the same connection all is well. Any thoughts. Nothing had changed on my VP30. Hadn't even had it in use for 2 weeks now. Running 1.03 software (still getting fading audio--not complete from optical)

Andy

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Andy - are you sure you don't have the format set at 4:3 somewhere in the Vps signal chain? I'd go do a double check - sounds like a zoom and pan problem. Also double check synch, just in case that changed.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yeah I checked but could not find anything out of the norm. I don't think its the cable box since directly into the PJ the picture is fine. When I go to format and try 1080p60 all is fine but switch to 1080i60 and the pan and zoom thing occurs without any other changes in parameters. It's really odd. I just unplugged the VP30 and I'll try it again later.

Boy I really wish Dale had more to do with the VP30. The HD and HD+ were never this buggy.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
True - I had thought he was involved when I dropped the trigger - was saddened when he came into this thread from [email protected] and told us he had nothing to do with it. (paraphrasing, I know, but I don't want to search 105 pages.) Still think you might have a pan/scan input linked to your 1080i format. Check your inputs. I just watched a Fleetwood Mac dvd, that was letterbox - non anamorphic. Switched input to "letterbox", viewed it fine. Switched to hd, watched some sd tv, then came back in a couple days to watch a dvd. VP30, correctly, was still set to "letterbox" - I was tipped off when Jessica Alba looked chunky.
-ok Cartman, big-boned.

Point being, had you been watching something in stretchovision at that format 2 weeks ago, and put the input format to 4:3, the VP will remember that until you change it. Sometimes the cool features of this unit come back and bite you in an unexpected fashion.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
AaronWT, FlyingVee, Dale

The key factor in loading firmware is that the speed, protocol, and flow control settings match between TT and the VP30. When I got 1.05 I was running my VP30 at 57600. I use the RS232 control features extensively. When I tried to load 1.05, TT was set to 19200 ergo did not work. As soon as I put the VP30 at 19200 to match TT all worked well. I decided to leave it at 19200 since that is (at least as of 1.05) the default setting after a reset to factory defaults.

·
Registered
541 Posts

Quote:

AaronWT, FlyingVee, Dale

The key factor in loading firmware is that the speed, protocol, and flow control settings match between TT and the VP30. When I got 1.05 I was running my VP30 at 57600. I use the RS232 control features extensively. When I tried to load 1.05, TT was set to 19200 ergo did not work. As soon as I put the VP30 at 19200 to match TT all worked well. I decided to leave it at 19200 since that is (at least as of 1.05) the default setting after a reset to factory defaults.

I set the baudrate on the VP30 (with 1.05 on it at the time), from the default 19200 to 57600 BEFORE I set the menu to firmware upgrade and that worked very well too - now 1.06 but still having audio problems
At 19200 it would take a loooog time. Took over 10 min at 57600!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
With regard to firmware load times, I just go and do something else for 20 minutes. It is not like I change the firmware every hour or so. I guess the bottom line is that I am lazy. If it defaults to 19.2 I will use it that way.

I had a nice long discussion with Josh at EHexpo this afternoon. He reiterated that they are working on the audio and HDMI issue and will solve it (eventually; my comment not his).

I made two recommendations to him.

(1) make the scaler have plug in modules for the inputs. That way you could put in as many of a specific type as you need (within reason - lets say a max of 12). Ideally I would like the switcher to be a separate box (same form factor if possible so I could stack them) connecting to the scaler via a digital interface. The interface cable being anything from 6 inches to 30 feet. That would make it flexible and future connectivity proof. It would also make it easier (in some sense) to revise/correct an interface. Maybe some other company will build a switcher like that (Gefen?).

(2) Fib to HDMI input devices. As long as the single connected display is recognized as HDCP compliant tell every HDMI input device that there is a compliant display currently connected. Do this no matter what input device is selected to feed the scaler. This will keep a stable handshake and compliance data stream going to each HDMI input device. Most such devices have no problem as long as you do not keep dropping the display causing the box to reinitiate a startup handshake. I feel that is where I see a lot of the problems. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I ordered the new video card yesterday and received an email saying the card would not be shipped till the second week of april.

Also, is there that big of an improvment having my Onkyo DV-SP800 upgraded to SDI? The component hook-up through the VP30 is awsome as it is!

Jeremy

3121 - 3140 of 6829 Posts