AVS Forum banner

3261 - 3280 of 6829 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailean /forum/post/0

Hi Bill,

I tried a couple of converters (plugin and 3" hanging cable type) on the end of my existing DVI-DVI cable but didn't have much luck, in the end I swapped over to my DVI-HDMI cable and reversed it so I was using the DVI at the PJ end and HDMI straight into the VP30, worked a treat.

Did you test out the DVI cable with the converters attached on the other gear?

Yeah, the cable is fine. I did discover last night that if I connect the VP30 (converted to DVI) into my DVI switcher and let the switcher drive the cable to the projector, everything works perfectly.

I still don't understand why, if the VP30 can drive a 36' HDMI cable, it can't also drive a 33' DVI cable without locking up. According to my pinout charts, it's a pin for pin connection between the two connectors. Nothing fancy.

Perhaps the HDMI transceivers in the VP30 have a current limiting mechanism which it isn't handling correctly?

Josh, do you know?

--Bill

·
Registered
390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXT /forum/post/0

I am running 2.35:1 CIH, switching to 4:3 and 16:9 results in having the side masks in a faint but very noticeable gray hue, it appears as if projector light panel leaks outside of the mapped region. VP30 states that images are not actively mapped to these area, which is great, but is there a way to completely darken, perhaps 0,0,0 color to the mask areas? So, when I switch to watch a 16:9 or heaven forbid, 4:3, I won't see any hints of light to the mask areas.

Have you set border level to 0 in the output setup menu?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaniH /forum/post/0

Have you set border level to 0 in the output setup menu?

You actually want to set it to -16. A border level setting of zero is the black level (16 for an 8-bit signal, 64 for a 10-bit signal), and you probably want to get it blacker than black. -16 is as low as it will go and this will give you a Y or RGB output level of literally zero.

- Dale Adams

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Adams /forum/post/0

You actually want to set it to -16. A border level setting of zero is the black level (16 for an 8-bit signal, 64 for a 10-bit signal), and you probably want to get it blacker than black. -16 is as low as it will go and this will give you a Y or RGB output level of literally zero.

- Dale Adams

Blacker than black...I like that. Will try -16 tonight, I guess 0 is not default cause I didn't mess with it initially.

By the way, what constitute a 10-bit signal, HD?

I got ABT102 on pre-order and I am told mid April, can't wait.

Thanks guys,

Steve

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXT /forum/post/0

Blacker than black...I like that. Will try -16 tonight, I guess 0 is not default cause I didn't mess with it initially.

Zero is the default setting for the border level, but as explained earlier that's a level of black, not an absolute numerical value of zero for the digital video pixel data. Black is not a value of zero for the pixel data.

Quote:
By the way, what constitute a 10-bit signal, HD?

The output of the VP30's image processing is a 10-bit signal. The VP30 has 10-bit DACs which are fed the full 10-bit output resolution. HDMI also has a 10-bit option and the full 10-bit resolution is available there as well (at least for YCbCr 4:2:2). There are some input devices which will send out a 10-bit signal over HDMI, but I believe most are still 8-bit. Future HDMI devices will support 10 and 12-bit resolutions for both 4:4:4 YCbCr and RGB.

- Dale Adams

·
Registered
738 Posts
yeah ,,, VP30 just arrived!!! sorry had to do it"

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I once had a bumper sticker that read "He who dies with the most toys wins". I came home one day to find my wife's car with a new bumper sticker that read: "The woman who buries the man with the most toys really wins!"

·
Registered
738 Posts
barrygordon,

She's Right

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Okay I ran some tests. With audio running around the VP30 I get no audio dropout from the DVR's connected via HDMI, unless the picture is also tearing up.

With Audio running through the VP30 and watching a pre-recorded show, or using the replay capability of the DVR and backing up past where the audio dropped and replaying it, I did not once get an audio drop the second time (on replay).

My conclusion now is that in my case it is the VP30 dropping audio and not the DVR's. I am now still running the audio through the VP30 for better lip sync, but am getting ready to set up the lip sync delay (fixed) in the Audio processor and perhaps go the other way. the VP30 no longer gets the benefit of the doubt on the audio drop problem.

·
AVS Advanced Member
165 Posts
Hi guys, thru HDMI can the VP 30 fully process the 12bit component of the pioneer 79 or just the component colourspace?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I upgraded my VP30 with V1.05 hoping that the firmware update would solve the HDMI handshaking issues with my BenQ PE8700 (the VP30 would never automatically set up a link when the BenQ was turned on, something my HD+ never had issues with). The firmware update solved that problem (thanks), but introduced another. Now my Sony NS975 DVD player HDMI audio is no longer recongnized (I had to plug in an audio digital cable to get sound again). I have tried soft and hard factory resets to no avail. I also continue to have random losses of video connections to my Sony HD-SAT300 via DVI (requires a restart of the VP300 to get a picture again).

The HD+ was a wonderful product, I went to the VP30 to get switching for multiple HDMI/DVI sources. Here is to hoping that a firmware update will solve these obviously difficult to debug HDMI connection issues.

A fan of DVDO but not a fan of HDMI, Layne

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I have a benq PE8700 and never had any issues with it. I connect it to the VP30 via and HDMI/DVI cable. I do have HDMI issues but thay are not relative to the projector (Display) but rather to the input sources.

The benq is 1:1 pixel mapped to the VP30 and shows a stunning picture on all my digital inputs with almost as good a picture on component. In fact to see the difference you have to walk up to the screen.

·
UHD Addict
38,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayneJohnson /forum/post/0

I upgraded my VP30 with V1.05 hoping that the firmware update would solve the HDMI handshaking issues with my BenQ PE8700 (the VP30 would never automatically set up a link when the BenQ was turned on, something my HD+ never had issues with). The firmware update solved that problem (thanks), but introduced another. Now my Sony NS975 DVD player HDMI audio is no longer recongnized (I had to plug in an audio digital cable to get sound again). I have tried soft and hard factory resets to no avail. I also continue to have random losses of video connections to my Sony HD-SAT300 via DVI (requires a restart of the VP300 to get a picture again).

The HD+ was a wonderful product, I went to the VP30 to get switching for multiple HDMI/DVI sources. Here is to hoping that a firmware update will solve these obviously difficult to debug HDMI connection issues.

A fan of DVDO but not a fan of HDMI, Layne

I have to use v1.00 to have my Sony 975 dvd player pass the 5.1DD/6.1 DTS over HDMi.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I own the Optoma H78DC3, Oppo 971 with SDI mod, Pioneer 79avi, and the VP30 and was wondering where I go to find the procedure for 1:1 pixel mapping. I keep hearing about the importance of this procedure but I have not run across any source for how to do it. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Set the VP30 to output 720P and then set the H78 to Native (not 16:9).

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Do as suggested. Then use the test patterns supplied in the VP30 config menu to check it out. The two key patterns are the horizontal and vertical line patterns where every other line is on.

I set the VP30 output to match my display (1280x720p) and got vertical to be perfect. It then took me a while to figure out what I needed to do to get the projector (Benq PE8700) to stop helping (running its internal scaler). For some reason an aspect setting of ANA on the projector as opposed to wide is what did the trick. I found it by accident. Once you get the 1:1 mapping it will stay that way always, independent of input. At least in my case it does. the suggestion to set the H78 to native sounds right (causing the PJ to stop scaling). Report how you make out

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
I'm getting close to buying the VP30 but before I do that I was wondering what issues the VP30 still has and are there any show stoppers?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D /forum/post/0

I'm getting close to buying the VP30 but before I do that I was wondering what issues the VP30 still has and are there any show stoppers?

You are kidding right? 110 pages and you are asking if there are any show stoppers. Please.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I was able to get my hd+ to work with a non hdcp compliant display using a hdcp stripper before the input. Now, with the vp 30, I cannot get it to pass a signal using the same set up. Must be the hdmi thing.

I'm sick of all the issues that copy protection has caused for me. I've bought several movies two three, even four times. Now I can't even watch the ones I have.

I think the vp30 will have to go back.

what good is a fantastic vp is you can't get a picture from it?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
hdmi is a show stopper for me.

3261 - 3280 of 6829 Posts