AVS Forum banner

4641 - 4660 of 6829 Posts

·
UHD Addict
37,438 Posts
Sweet!. Yes the DD 5.1 audio is working with the Sony 975 over HDMI now. I have the A1 connected to my receiver for the 5.1 PCM so I'm not sending any audio to the VP30 any more.

My HDTiVos are working also. Just recently the audio went out on both my HDTiVos over HDMI with DD. They went out about two weeks apart. I thought it was the HDMI board but it must have been something else because after the 1.08 update I'm getting the 5.1 DD over the HDMi again to the VP30. This is excellent.

I don't plan on using Panorama since I like to see 4:3 content as 4:3 but I guess alot of people will welcome it.

This is defintely a worthwhile firmware upgrade.

Thanks DVDO.

Make sure you write down your settings before the upgrade. They were reset for me going from 1.07 to 1.08. I wrote mine down just in case so I'm glad I did that.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Almost there

I was hoping for an non-linear stretch for 16 x 9 media to 2.35:1 for us anamorphic and "scope" screen folks. Maybe next time around, Josh ??

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
enjoy the firmware guys, I have been using it a little while and things are pretty peachy if you ask me

those that waited for NLS will be happy

anyone that can, please report how your Toshiba HD-DVD is doing thru the HDMI into VP30 and coaxial/optical output

-Gary

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,645
Gary - You should be able to get dts 5.1 out of the HD-DVD player (through the VP30), given that you have the HDMI audio output set to bitstream.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,646

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnisiv /forum/post/0

Thanks for the update Josh! One question, what would cause the Panorama option to be grayed out?

Regards,

Nisi

If the Frame AR set to 16:9. this will happen.

If you press the 4:3 button on the remote both the Frame and the Active AR will be set to 4:3/1,33:1 and then you can access Panorama.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,647

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR /forum/post/0

Almost there

I was hoping for an non-linear stretch for 16 x 9 media to 2.35:1 for us anamorphic and "scope" screen folks. Maybe next time around, Josh ??

It is certainly something that we can consider. If you have an idea of how you would like that image non-linearly stretched, please send me that model ([email protected]).

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
No matter what anyone else says or thinks, I believe that DVDO is the most responsive company to thier user community I have had the pleasure of dealing with. They may not satisfy everyone all of the time, but the sure do try to.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The LED brightness function seems to be different. It appears the the status LED is dimmed with the display. In 1.07 you could dim the display without turning off the status LED. I can't do it with 1.08. What does the Normal option in the LED menu submenu do? It doesn't appear to do anything.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
guys, for those who have installed the 1.08 version, would it be possible to post some pictures of the 4:3 (normal) vs 4:3 using panorama? so we can see the NLS in action?

Unfortunately I don't have a display which I can use at the moment....

many thanks,

Marcelo

·
Registered
94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/0

Aaron - I am looking forward to your feedback.

Hi Josh,

I see there are lots of new features in your 1.08 report but no mention in your report that the audio drop outs and remote control bugs have been fixed. Did I miss soemthing or are they still outstanding bugs??

If so any idea when we can expect these as I still think those should be top priority.

Hans

·
Registered
328 Posts
Josh

I can't begin to tell you how dissapointed I am to see no mention of audio fixes in the 1.08 firmware. I don't know if the audio drop-out issue is addressed but just not listed, but the problem with the VP30 sending out a 96kHz PCM "click" when it sees no input is still just the same in 1.08. This problem has existed since day 1, and in some amps produces a loud click or pop, but with my Denon amp switches it into a "direct" audio mode. This problem has been confirmed by other Denon owners on this forum.

The reason I'm posting this message in this public forum is that I've never been able to get a response directly from DVDO about this problems. I've reported it with every single beta release and never had a response. When many of us reported audio problems still existing with 1.07, you posted a note telling us they were top of your priority list and to send you our reports and details. I, like many other no doubt did this, but have never had a response. If you know about this and it will be fixed at some stage, please let us know. If you have a list of audio issues that have been reported but you can't address, again please tell us.

I, and I think many others here, are just looking for feedback and a focus on fixing existing problems rather than adding new features. The audio problems for me make the VP30 unusable as an audio switcher. Since one of the key features for me was it's adaptive lip sync capabilities (which I can't use), this is extremely furstrating.

The VP30 is my third DVDO product. In general, your technology is superb and your trade in program is fantastic. I preordered a ABT102 and received (I think) the first in the UK and it's just brilliant. In the past, you guys have also been great at responding to questions and have continued to deliver exactly the right products long before anyone else at a compelling price. I'm a committed DVDO customer, but the "black hole" of communications around the audio problems and also the IR problems is really beginning to get me down.

pete S

·
Registered
369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/0

Added Scaler Based Horizontal Oversampling for Analog Output

The scaler now does horizontal oversampling when the analog output is being used. The DAC oversampling is fixed at 2x.

Excellent timing Josh! I've just had to unplug my last HDCP enabled connection from the VP30 (SkyHD, there have been a few 'incidents' of it breaking HDMI inputs on plasmas, amps and scalers so I'm not taking any chances till the bug/fault is figured out and fixed.) so was thinking of putting my LCD TV back onto the analog output which will allow me to plug the PJ back in on the HDMI (without the expense of buying another switch/dist box).

However my brain is a little fuzzy on the use of the word 'oversampling' in a VP context, I'm guessing it's a good thing but what can I expect to see?

·
UHD Addict
37,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS /forum/post/0

Josh

I can't begin to tell you how dissapointed I am to see no mention of audio fixes in the 1.08 firmware. I don't know if the audio drop-out issue is addressed but just not listed, but the problem with the VP30 sending out a 96kHz PCM "click" when it sees no input is still just the same in 1.08. This problem has existed since day 1, and in some amps produces a loud click or pop, but with my Denon amp switches it into a "direct" audio mode. This problem has been confirmed by other Denon owners on this forum.

pete S

I had no problem with my Denon 3805, Denon 2807, or Denon 3806 which I am currently using. When the VP30 receives no signal all my Denons were silent. I never heard a click or pop and they have defintely never gone into "Direct" audio mode unless I put it in that mode. Could this have something to do with the difference in power between the US and England?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi Aaron

Thanks for the feedback - I've had others confirm the Denon problem on here before, so it's interesting that it's not generic. If DVDO will tell me if they can or can't repro it, that would be great to know. Perhaps I just have a duff unit - although there are lots of post on hear about people reporting clicks which may well the be same thing.

If DVDO can't repro it, then perhaps I should try and get it swapped out, but need some guidance first. So, Josh, any comments?

Thanks again Aaron

Peter

·
Registered
424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR /forum/post/0

Almost there

I agree. I think a general non-linear stretch should be made available for all modes. When you use the zoom feature and set vertical zoom to 56 to eliminate black bars on 2.35:1 material on a 16:9 plasma for example, you should be able to choose whether that zoom is "linear" or "non-linear". If you choose "non-linear", it could do the same type of thing that the panorama mode is doing (don't stretch at all in the middle and stretch more and more as you approach the edge): simply modify the amount of stretch to correspond to the amount of zoom chosen.

That... and please fix the zoom bug where the horizontal zoom percentage does not correspond to the same zoom in the vertical (posted earlier).

BTW, thanks for the update DVDO! I'm in the software business so I know that updates tend to bring out even more requests, but that doesn't mean we're not grateful for what we have! Josh, I would appreciate a reply to my zoom bug here. Could you please confirm that it is/is not a bug and whether or not you plan to address it.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The way the Panorama is implemented it doesn't perform any useful function for me. I am using D* and my HD-DVR sends a 16:9 regardless of whether it is a 4:3 picture or not. When the VP see a 16:9, the frame AR, active AR, and Panorama are grayed out and can't be used. So for any 4:3 material that is sent via D* it has no function. I expect it will be the same for other satellite and cable providers.

The only time I can get it to work, is by sending it a 4:3 from my DVD player. But in this case, it appears to only stretch horizontally.

Please tell me if I'm wrong or doing something wrong.

Thanks

4641 - 4660 of 6829 Posts