AVS Forum banner

1881 - 1900 of 6829 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN /forum/post/0


Ditto with my situation.

Gentlemen,


Does the "shrill" problem occur only with toslink connections to the VP30 inputs? Has anyone treid using the Coax inputs for the same source? I think we need to tie down where excatly the problem is and is not. Seems from posts so far that it is independant of which connection (opto or coax) from the VP30 to your receiver/amp, so that pushes the problem back to the type of input connection into the VP30 and/or the type of device you have.


Does it happen with devices connected to the other video inputs? Is it dependant on which audio input you assign to a particular video input, i.e does it go away or is it still there when you associate different audio channels with different video channels? Does it appear immedeiately when you pull the toslink input out of the VP30, or is it triggered soley by the lack of an active audio stream from the device. I'm referring here to comments that it only happens when playing legit DVDs. How is this different though from playing copied DVDs?


Maybe if we can narrow the problem down a bit, we might get a quicker response and fix from DVDO.


Phil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by escon /forum/post/0


Gentlemen,


Does the "shrill" problem occur only with toslink connections to the VP30 inputs? Has anyone treid using the Coax inputs for the same source? I think we need to tie down where excatly the problem is and is not. Seems from posts so far that it is independant of which connection (opto or coax) from the VP30 to your receiver/amp, so that pushes the problem back to the type of input connection into the VP30 and/or the type of device you have.


Does it happen with devices connected to the other video inputs? Is it dependant on which audio input you assign to a particular video input, i.e does it go away or is it still there when you associate different audio channels with different video channels? Does it appear immedeiately when you pull the toslink input out of the VP30, or is it triggered soley by the lack of an active audio stream from the device. I'm referring here to comments that it only happens when playing legit DVDs. How is this different though from playing copied DVDs?


Maybe if we can narrow the problem down a bit, we might get a quicker response and fix from DVDO.


Phil.

I have three devices connected to the VP30 right now with no audio problems when switching:


RP-91 connected to SDI, toslink

Oppo connected DVI to HDMI line 1, coaxial, using 720P

Samsung HD tuner, DVI to HDMI line 2, toslink, using 720P


I use toslink to my Onkyo receiver.



My problem is the remote. It drives me crazy with its 7 to 8 foot range!!! I sit 12 feet away and my arm just isn't quite long enough even when leaning forward.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,061 Posts
I have not encountered any audio problems with my unit so far. This is a single input config, a Denon 2900 connected to the VP30 via coax.


Edit: Forgot to mention my VP30 outputs the digital audio to a Denon 2805 via coax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayB /forum/post/0


I have three devices connected to the VP30 right now with no audio problems when switching:


RP-91 connected to SDI, toslink

Oppo connected DVI to HDMI line 1, coaxial, using 720P

Samsung HD tuner, DVI to HDMI line 2, toslink, using 720P


I use toslink to my Onkyo receiver.



My problem is the remote. It drives me crazy with its 7 to 8 foot range!!! I sit 12 feet away and my arm just isn't quite long enough even when leaning forward.

Buy youself a MX500 remote or this remote http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880100611


Both work a good 50ft or more with fresh batteries (I can aim at the ceiling and control my system). Best remotes ever made easy to use plus you can name the on-screen titles anything you want.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D /forum/post/0


Buy youself a MX500 remote or this remote http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16880100611


Both work a good 50ft or more with fresh batteries (I can aim at the ceiling and control my system). Best remotes ever made easy to use plus you can name the on-screen titles anything you want.

I already have one!! It's programmed for my DVD players and receiver and HD tuner.


But I just like using the original remote for the VP30, as I did for the HD+.


If the MX500 works, wouldn't it be the VP30 remote that is at fault, not the IR receiver as some are saying? Or at least a combination of the two. I hope DVDO can just come out with a new remote to fix this. This is a more surprising flaw not to have been discovered and fixed before release than the audio problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJayB /forum/post/0


snip...


My problem is the remote. It drives me crazy with its 7 to 8 foot range!!! I sit 12 feet away and my arm just isn't quite long enough even when leaning forward.

Couldn't agree more. Not only that, the butons often require unequal pressure - my up arrow/direction button requires a very firm push to get it to put out a signal. I have IR repeaters, but even with these, this remote has the shortest range of them all (and I have 8 of the blighters)


Can't say I like the ergonomic design either - not that that is any different to the HD+ remote, but it feels lighter. It slopey bottom means that it slides off the table when it's only just hanging over the edge. Must have been trying to save a few pennies on this one.
I think a replacement Remote is really the only decent thing to do. What about it Josh?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrygordon /forum/post/0


I am now wondering how much video delay the scaler is causing.

Somewhere in one of these DVDO threads, Dale or Josh outlined the delays according to processing, it might even be at the DVDO site. Dale Adams has been posting in the Denon 5910 thread, you might try PMing him.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35,301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by escon /forum/post/0


Couldn't agree more. Not only that, the butons often require unequal pressure - my up arrow/direction button requires a very firm push to get it to put out a signal. I have IR repeaters, but even with these, this remote has the shortest range of them all (and I have 8 of the blighters)

Have you tried putting the repeaters directly over the eye in the VP30? I first had mine just to the side and it didn't work well, I then placed it right over the eye and the remote works from over 20' away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan /forum/post/0


Have you tried putting the repeaters directly over the eye in the VP30? I first had mine just to the side and it didn't work well, I then placed it right over the eye and the remote works from over 20' away.

Oh yes, that was number one item on the menu so to speak. Mine too will work at just 7m (sorry 20ft) away. But all others (remotes) happily work another 10 feet further. So, my personal main bugbear with it is the imprecise feel and action of the buttons.


Otherwise, the only bug I've struck so far, is the occassional out of the blue resetting of the output parameters, causing me to loose picture completely. Sometimes the resolution is changed, another time it went from HDMI to analog output. Hasn't happened the last couple of days though. Wasn't sure at first if it was my Harmony 880 playing up (me having misprogrammed it), but I think I've discounted that now. Doing a few too many things at the same time at the moment what with a complete re-cabling etc etc, so have to be careful not to confuse cause and effect and misappropriate blame.


With just that in mind, I sense that I am getting more audio "breaks:, that is, the sound just fading out for half a second or so then I used to in the middle of programs - so nothing to do with the plops and shrills issues some are having and not during silent or rather quiet audio passages. But, I really have to carry out some more exhaustive testing to verify that before I can be sure that this is not just a broadcaster's problem. I guess a lot of time is spent to determine what it's NOT, so that bit by bit you get to or home in on what it IS.


Phil.

.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/0


The BNC input will accept 480p/576p/720p/1080i/[email protected] 480i and 576i are not accepted resolutions on this input. As you pointed out the component inputs will accept 480i and 576i.


Josh or anyone, Could you please suggest the best option for connecting the RGB (PAL) output from the standard Euro Scart plug from PVRs.. DVB etc (576i).. if converting 576i RGB to RGBHV is not going to work, as this is an important requirement for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
A couple of things. First, someone asked if the audio problem is only on toslink. Nope, my dvd player is hooked up via coaxial, and has the same pop and high pitch tone that others are reporting.


Second, I talked to Josh briefly at their booth at CES, and they are definitely aware of the problem reports, and trying to track down the source of the audio problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintstone2513 /forum/post/0


Josh or anyone, Could you please suggest the best option for connecting the RGB (PAL) output from the standard Euro Scart plug from PVRs.. DVB etc (576i).. if converting 576i RGB to RGBHV is not going to work, as this is an important requirement for me.

Use a SCART to RGB cable and run an extra cable from the Video output of your PVR ( you should have a spare lone RCA video connector on the back) to the extra RCA connector next to the RGB component connectors on the VP30. This tells the VP30 that you are feeding it RGB and not YUV. Works brilliantly on my Humax PVR-Smart twin tuner PVR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintstone2513 /forum/post/0


Thanks, I take it you mean using RGBs, I'll have a look for a scart to rgb cable + 1 comp connection for composite sync
.

Yep, should be no trouble getting one in your country. Here in Oz and in the USA it's a no can do. I imported one (that is RGBs) from Italy actually, only to find that one of the RGB lines was kaput. Besides, it was also a pretty low quality cable - thin, fragile and high capacitance leads. That's when I thought, 15 odd euros later, hell why not use one a good RGB only cable that I could get locally and just add the Sync line to it with a few cable ties. Definitely worth getting a good quality cable though - don't go for a run-of-the-mill one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBergan /forum/post/0


A couple of things. First, someone asked if the audio problem is only on toslink. Nope, my dvd player is hooked up via coaxial, and has the same pop and high pitch tone that others are reporting.


Second, I talked to Josh briefly at their booth at CES, and they are definitely aware of the problem reports, and trying to track down the source of the audio problems.

Yep agreed - I have tried just about every combination of input/output to/from the VP30 from my DVD or STB, whether it be TOSLINK, coax, etc etc - the shrill is ever-present in the circumstances as outlined in my original post (ie, when DVD player on, but no audio being played. So no shrill when audio-stream is present such as movie menu screens or movie itself. Shrill occurs during "warning/copyright" screens, or other such "silent" parts of the DVD, ie no bitstream).


really really annoying - very glad to read your second statement above, re: Josh being aware and looking into it.


many thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by escon /forum/post/0


...............With just that in mind, I sense that I am getting more audio "breaks:, that is, the sound just fading out for half a second or so then I used to in the middle of programs - so nothing to do with the plops and shrills issues some are having and not during silent or rather quiet audio passages. But, I really have to carry out some more exhaustive testing to verify that before I can be sure that this is not just a broadcaster's problem. I guess a lot of time is spent to determine what it's NOT, so that bit by bit you get to or home in on what it IS.


Phil.

.

I have the same issue. I had thought that it was a problem with my cable provider, but now I am not so sure..........
 

·
UHD Addict
Joined
·
37,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandemik /forum/post/0


Yep agreed - I have tried just about every combination of input/output to/from the VP30 from my DVD or STB, whether it be TOSLINK, coax, etc etc - the shrill is ever-present in the circumstances as outlined in my original post (ie, when DVD player on, but no audio being played. So no shrill when audio-stream is present such as movie menu screens or movie itself. Shrill occurs during "warning/copyright" screens, or other such "silent" parts of the DVD, ie no bitstream).


really really annoying - very glad to read your second statement above, re: Josh being aware and looking into it.


many thanks

I am not having this problem fortunately. I am using the optical out to a Denon 3805. The inputs are two HDtiVos and a Sony 975 both by HDMI and the OPPO is using a coaxial input for the audio. I have heard a pop a couple of times but this is after well over 100 times of switching. My only complaint so far would be the few seconds it will take to re-sync when switching inputs. and of course the remote, but that doesn't affect me when using the DVDO remote since the unit is straight ahead from my seating position at 10 feet so it works as long as I point it toward the VP30. I'm just not used to pointing the remote at a device since I can point my Harmony 680 in almost any direction and my components will receive the IR signal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by escon /forum/post/0


Yep, should be no trouble getting one in your country. Here in Oz and in the USA it's a no can do. I imported one (that is RGBs) from Italy actually, only to find that one of the RGB lines was kaput. Besides, it was also a pretty low quality cable - thin, fragile and high capacitance leads. That's when I thought, 15 odd euros later, hell why not use one a good RGB only cable that I could get locally and just add the Sync line to it with a few cable ties. Definitely worth getting a good quality cable though - don't go for a run-of-the-mill one.

Ok. Thanks, I found a good cable from Keene electronics. Just another question,

I can't see if the analogue inputs have a passthrough option to analogue out, does it have to be processed and converted to somthing else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by choddo2006 /forum/post/0


Flintstone, which Keene cable is that? The SCART-4 phono jobbie? You got the product# ?


Thanks


SBB62

(I need to post 5 posts before it alows me to put URLs in)


SCART TO 4 PHONO RGB COMPOSITE SYNC (1.8M)


High quality scart to four phono plugs. Gold plated connections.

Application: RGBs (composite sync)
 
1881 - 1900 of 6829 Posts
Top