AVS Forum banner

1921 - 1940 of 6829 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My DVDO VP30 is in transit.

Tim at DVDO sent me the Pronto ccf for the unit and thanks. I also now have the means to generate the IR codes based on IR format and keycodes, but am curious as to what is the precise frequency of the remote? Your code set (which Tim sent me seems to be very clean, altough the prior ones were not.

Do you have any idea when the full automation manual for the VP30 will be out.??

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/0

One of the things with the update I received was that I needed to make the output 59.94Hz to work correctly. If I left it at 60Hz it wouldn't work right. It would work intermittently. Has this been correted or is this the same update I received in December?

The problem you're seeing is related to the fact that both the input and output are interlaced. An interlaced signal has alternating pairs of fields, with one containing the even numbered lines and the other containing the odd numbered lines. As long as the input and output field rates are the same, an even(odd) input field produces an even(odd) output field. The 1080i bug is a hardware problem that resulted in an even input field producing an odd output field and vice versa.

When the input and output field rates are not the same, there's a potential problem. Since there is no longer just 1 output field for every input field, it will not be the case that an even(odd) input field produces an even(odd) output field. At some times, due to the frame rate conversion hardware repeating or dropping frames (well, fields in this case), the processing will produce the desired even-to-even and odd-to-odd input/output field relationship, but at others it will produce an even-to-odd and old-to-even relationship. When the non-matching field sense occurs you will see a degradation in the image, and the processor will drift in and out of this mode.

The only real way around this is to have a full 1080i deinterlacer which first produces a 1080p signal from the 1080i input, and then uses that 1080p frame to generate the 1080i output. Even this only works really well with film sources, and you will see an image degradation with 1080i video sources (albeit less than with the current VP30).

As a result of all this, you really need to keep the output rate locked to the input rate. While I can't state this with 100% certainty, I believe that you will not see a 'fix' for this issue with the VP30. Again, note that this will only occur with an HD interlaced input and an interlaced output - i.e., 1080i to 1080i.

What's the reason you're unlocking the output from the input?

- Dale Adams

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
question for owners.

what added functionality are you getting from the vp30?

i don't understand.

are your standard definition tv programs now looking like widesreen dvd? are you able to make 4:3 look like 16:9 without odd shaped, too wide characters?

if its just one cable advantage wouldn't a switch work? beyond that most already have top notched scalers in their pj, right?

so where are you fitting in the new functions provided by the vp30?

·
UHD Addict
37,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Adams /forum/post/0

The problem you're seeing is related to the fact that both the input and output are interlaced. An interlaced signal has alternating pairs of fields, with one containing the even numbered lines and the other containing the odd numbered lines. As long as the input and output field rates are the same, an even(odd) input field produces an even(odd) output field. The 1080i bug is a hardware problem that resulted in an even input field producing an odd output field and vice versa.

When the input and output field rates are not the same, there's a potential problem. Since there is no longer just 1 output field for every input field, it will not be the case that an even(odd) input field produces an even(odd) output field. At some times, due to the frame rate conversion hardware repeating or dropping frames (well, fields in this case), the processing will produce the desired even-to-even and odd-to-odd input/output field relationship, but at others it will produce an even-to-odd and old-to-even relationship. When the non-matching field sense occurs you will see a degradation in the image, and the processor will drift in and out of this mode.

The only real way around this is to have a full 1080i deinterlacer which first produces a 1080p signal from the 1080i input, and then uses that 1080p frame to generate the 1080i output. Even this only works really well with film sources, and you will see an image degradation with 1080i video sources (albeit less than with the current VP30).

As a result of all this, you really need to keep the output rate locked to the input rate. While I can't state this with 100% certainty, I believe that you will not see a 'fix' for this issue with the VP30. Again, note that this will only occur with an HD interlaced input and an interlaced output - i.e., 1080i to 1080i.

What's the reason you're unlocking the output from the input?

- Dale Adams

The VP30 says the input is 60Hz not 59.94 and the iscan HD+ didn't have this problem. So I figure if the HD+ did it right the VP30 should be able to. I am using two HD TiVos for a 1080i input over HDMi.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt /forum/post/0

The VP30 says the input is 60Hz not 59.94 and the iscan HD+ didn't have this problem. So I figure if the HD+ did it right the VP30 should be able to. I am using two HD TiVos for a 1080i input over HDMi.

Although the VP30 says the input is "60" Hz, it's probably 59.94 as that's the standard frame/field rate. (Sounds like this could be a software bug.) In any event, unless you have a very good reason to not run in the locked mode, you should do so. That will prevent any inadvertent dropped or repeated frames. As long as you're in locked mode, regardless of whether the input is 60 or 59.94 Hz, the VP30 will generate one output frame/field for every input frame/field and will not drop or repeat frames.

The hardware in the iScan HD+ is the same as the (updated) VP30 hardware, at least with respect to this function. It should perform exactly the same. If it's not, then they're likely not set up the same way or perhaps there's something different in your setup. Is that the case or are you really seeing a difference in behavior between the HD+ and VP30 (i.e., both are in locked or both are in unlocked mode but perform differently)? If so, let me know and I'll ping the engineer who made the latest update to fix the 1080i problem. I don't think there's anything different - there isn't supposed to be - but there could always be some other issue or bug.

- Dale Adams

·
Registered
369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/0

I would like to address several issues.

A fourth option is available to those who feel comfortable removing the front panel on their own. Instructions will be provided to simplify this procedure. Please note that we do not expect you to do this fix on your own and that is why we are offering to do the fix ourselves.

Hi Josh,

I've not noticed the IR issue yet but I'm still experimenting with the VP30 so it's sat on the floor about 5' from me. Just wondering what the best plan is for international owners, seems a little excessive to ship the thing back from the UK just to change a lens.

I think I'll be able to manage it myself but I'll wait for the detailed instructions, I presume this will not effect warranty?

I've also not got as far as wiring up audio so don't know if those issues will effect me.

If a return is required then I may wait a while, just in case any other issues aren't resolvable via firmware.

Looking forward to the CCF file, save me a little time.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Guys...

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the Xantech IR routing gear (emitters, receivers, emitter hubs (blocks)), work perfectly with the V30.

Just another option to consider

BG

P.S. - There are posts from alternate IR routing vendors with like solutions in the thread...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Any experience / suggestions for best parameters for a 50" Sony plasma KDE50XBR950 fed via component?

Native resolution is 1365 by 768. Manual says the unit accepts 480i/p, 720p, and 1080i, and is silent about whether it will accept a native rate feed.

Sources are Hughes 250 and Denon DVD at 480i, both via component, both through a Mosquito in front of the VP30.

·
Registered
26,651 Posts

Quote:

The instructions will be shipped with the lense and posted on the website. I need to write them and take some pictures first though.

Briefly, it requires that you remove the top cover (9 screws) and the front bezel (3 screws). The front bezel pulls off of the chassis with the buttons attached. Next, you remove and replace the lense. Reinstall the front bezel, insuring that the buttons are aligned and work correctly before reinstalling the screws and top cover.

Doesn't sound too complicated. I'd be up for it.

Josh, any word on the long delays and video static when switching between input sources or resolutions? The HD+ did not have this problem.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,930

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN /forum/post/0

[email protected],

This is why I still buy DVDO. Thanks for the prompt response. Since I'm local I'll email you my info. BUT regarding the IR issue, is there an option for locals to SAVE DVDO some money by brining the unit to you and perhaps picking it up? Just a thought.

Andy

Sure, this is also an option. Please send an email to [email protected] letting us know when you will be bringing it in.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,931

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailean /forum/post/0

Hi Josh,

I've not noticed the IR issue yet but I'm still experimenting with the VP30 so it's sat on the floor about 5' from me. Just wondering what the best plan is for international owners, seems a little excessive to ship the thing back from the UK just to change a lens.

I think I'll be able to manage it myself but I'll wait for the detailed instructions, I presume this will not effect warranty?

We will handle this issue through our international distributors, so there will be no need to send your unit back to us.

·
Registered
192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brigont /forum/post/0

Guys...

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but the Xantech IR routing gear (emitters, receivers, emitter hubs (blocks)), work perfectly with the V30.

Just another option to consider

BG

P.S. - There are posts from alternate IR routing vendors with like solutions in the thread...

I found the Zantech emitters with feedback (blink) didn't work and needed

to swap it out with a non feedback one. Works great now!!

·
Registered
519 Posts
I've been talking to my dealer about how I'd like this set up as they do a pre-config service matched to the screen I'm also buying from them, and there's one thing he's not 100% sure about yet. I'm sure he'll be checking with dvdo or the UK disti but I thought I'd ask on here out of curiosity...

I've got mainly SD sources to start with and I'm sure some of them for a while yet:

1: Sky+ satellite box (RGBSCART 576i @ 50Hz)

2: DVD (RGBSCART passthru 576i @ 50Hz)

3: xbox (s-video 576i @ 50 or 480i @ 60)

4: PS2 (ditto)

5: Gamecube (ditto)

So the options seem to be;

1. Output everything on a single DVI cable, but the Panasonic PHD8 will only allow pixel matching on 60Hz sources over digital so the 50Hz sources would come in at 720p and the screen scaler would come in. Since probably 75% of my content for the next year will be in that format, it's not an ideal return for the $2000 scaler

2. Output 60Hz sources (from the consoles basically) to DVI. Output 50Hz (consoles and everything else) to VGA which can be pixel matched. Is this one even possible? Can I say "if 576i/50 comes in on port A (xbox), then send it out at 1024x768 on RGBHV, but if [email protected] comes in on that same port, then send it out on DVI?

3. One alternative solution might be to replace the cables on 3, 4 and 5 with component which would be either 480i or 480p at that point. I think the UK xbox needs hacking to output 480p and not all Gamecube (a US one) games support it either.

I'm beginning to think option3 is the way to go, but does anyone have an opinion? Thanks.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Josh could you guys look into a pretty serious color bug for me if possible, I am suprised no one else is seeing this

I have discovered the root of my color issues:

I have my VP30 set for 1080i output, I am using RGB Colorspace output to a DVI display with HDMI to DVI cable, my input colorspace for all sources is set to auto(so the info screen shows the correct input info)

with this setup above the internal color setup patterns are perfect and are spot on, this is good

here is the problem:

When inputting HDMI devices with RGB colorspace the colors are all skewed, the green is severly undersaturated and too forest colored, the Red is oversaturated alot, the yellow's matrix is way off into brown, magenta and cyan are very slightly effected

I have a device that allows me to toggle between 422 and RGB on the HDMI output(the JVC HM-DH5u D-VHS)

All these color problems disappear when outputting 422 from the 5u into the VP30 the colors remain true to the internal test patterns

when you flip the switch to RGB on the 5u HDMI ouptput, the trouble above comes into play

all my sources could be set to 422 output and things would be peachy

the problem is that I have sources that are set to RGB HDMI output and cannot be changed

basically inputting RGB and outputting RGB is showing serious color problems

the sources that put out RGB on the HDMI output and screw up the colors on the VP30, show perfect color when directly input into my display

If you guys could look into this, I and many others would appreciate it very much, if you need any help making the problem show up in testing let me know and I would be more than happy to do anything

Thanks Josh and DVDO guys

-Gary

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Where can I get more info on what the specifics of this bug are? I looked on the dvdo website but didn't find anything.

jcg

Quote:

We will have the software with the 1080i input->1080i output bug resolved posted on our website by tomorrow evening at the latest. Thank you GaryM for your support.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,936
jcg - Dale descibed this bug further up the post:

The 1080i bug is a hardware problem that resulted in an even input field producing an odd output field and vice versa.

We will not have this posted on our website tonight as I previously stated, but if you would like the software please send me an email ([email protected]) and I will get it to you within 24 hours (probably much less).

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,937

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Montemayor /forum/post/0

DVDO guys, can the VP30 be upgraded via firmware to accept 1080p?

The VP30 hardware does support 1080p pass-through on the analog and digital inputs. There will be a software upgrade for this feature when it is available. We do not have an exact date at this point, but when we do I will post it here.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Josh - did you get outvoted, or have the options changed. I opted to have you change the lens for me, since my unit also has audio problems. Sent email as instructed on last page. Just received an email saying dvdo is sending me a new lens to stick in myself. That is NOT what I desired. Whazzup?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,939
Jon - Nothing has changed, and you can still choose any of the options that I listed. The email that you received just documented how to replace the IR lens. If you have spoken to tech support about getting a replacement unit, then that is what is going to happen.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Cool - sorry to be excited. And glad to have you back, even if it means you are back at work, instead of at CES

1921 - 1940 of 6829 Posts