AVS Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 6829 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by escon /forum/post/0

snip...................

With just that in mind, I sense that I am getting more audio "breaks:, that is, the sound just fading out for half a second or so then I used to in the middle of programs - so nothing to do with the plops and shrills issues some are having and not during silent or rather quiet audio passages. But, I really have to carry out some more exhaustive testing to verify that before I can be sure that this is not just a broadcaster's problem. I guess a lot of time is spent to determine what it's NOT, so that bit by bit you get to or home in on what it IS.

Phil.

Well, using a different device I have been experiencing an occassional "plop" now as well as more drop-outs. So, this echos the findings of other people - it is device dependant. I gather from comments made by DVDO that they are aware of the problem and are trying to nail it down.

Afraid this posts doesn't help much in doing that, other than to confirm that the problem appears to be when the data stream type is Dolby Digital . When I had the digital output of this device set to PCM format, the problem was not there. In this instance, the connection is via Coax, Audio 4.

Phil.

·
Registered
382 Posts
First, thanks to DVDO for the great response on the IR issue. Was not expecting all the options. Much appreciated and sincere thanks.

E-mailed DVDO per Josh's instructions less than 10 hours ago that I wanted to replace the lens myself and got first a confirming e-mail and then another e-mail that the lens will be shipped on 1/11/06 via UPS.

Also, in the e-mail was attached a PDF with the instructions for replacing the lens just in case the printed instructions were not included in the package--but, more importantly, to also review the instructions in case I wanted to change my mind about installing it myself. (That's class, IMHO.)

The instructions indicated to follow the procedure closely so as not to void one's warranty.

Looks like a simple procedure to me--if I'm careful--but you should be your own judge. There are pictures included for each step, which are very, very helpful.

I'll probably use both the paper version of the PDF and the electronic version (to zoom the PDF to around 300% on some of the pictures to make up for lack of detail and contrast from my printer on the PDF.)

For those considering the lens removal, I'm sure we'll have reports here very soon on how it went for the first batch of people receiving the first batch of replacement lenses.

Wish I could post the PDF here for those considering the replacement. Josh--will the instructions be posted soon on the DVDO website?

Thanks again.

- Gerry

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
What's the issue with the IR lens? Is that what is causing the problems with the IR receive? How difficult is this to replace? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
35,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT /forum/post/0

What's the issue with the IR lens? Is that what is causing the problems with the IR receive? How difficult is this to replace? Thanks!

From the instructions it appears the lens was not "wide-angle" enough to pick up anything other than an almost straight on signal. By that, I mean that the IR receiver is not being replaced, just the lens on the faceplate.

For anyone who has opened the VP30 to install a SDI card, replacing the lens looks to be as simple a job as well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Has anyone got the ccf as yet that could post or email it? I know Josh and the guys will post it soon, but no doubt they're working flat out on the audio problem and I'd really like to get my Pronto setup tonight. If anyone has a link or could email it, that would be great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another possible issue that maybe related to the audio problem: When I connect my HR10-250 via HDMI, I get audio from optical/coaxial only from HDMI 3 and HDMI 4. Optical/coaxial is completely silent from HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. I do get a picture from 1 and 2. This occurs with HDCP on or off. Has this occured to anyone else. Sorry if this as been already addressed.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm glad to see a fix for that IR response problem, it was really bothering me. I was beginning to think I was going to wear the buttons on the remote out, just trying to do simple things.

Just being curious, is having a firmware upgrade so the VP30 will accept 1080P something that will happen, or "maybe" happen?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxm001 /forum/post/0

Another possible issue that maybe related to the audio problem: When I connect my HR10-250 via HDMI, I get audio from optical/coaxial only from HDMI 3 and HDMI 4. Optical/coaxial is completely silent from HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. I do get a picture from 1 and 2. This occurs with HDCP on or off. Has this occured to anyone else. Sorry if this as been already addressed.

Have you tried unplugging the unit for a few minutes then plugging it back in (kind of like rebooting a computer)? I lost the audio over HDMI but this restored it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Has anyone setup the VP30 with a Harmony remote yet? When I added it to my Profile via the VP30 it had in its database, there are lots of problems.

One, it doesn't think it needs to be turned on or off (during help it just says "Ensure switch box is on" isntead of "is the switch box on now") and the inputs didn't work and i had to manually learn them all from the remote.

Also, on another issue, can the VP30 pass through audio when nothing it attached to the video source? I have the Xbox360 vga cable going directly to my TV, but I have the optical audio going to the VP30. I have assigned the 2nd optical audio to the HDMi4 soure (which has nothing connected to it) but when i select that source with the xbox on, no audio comes out.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone seen an issue with a video source not being auto detected? I have a D-Link DSM-520 Media player and the VP30 will not auto detect it when it's on; even when I have it set to #1 priority in the auto detect sequence (and no other sources turned on). I've tried using its svideo, component and HDMI outputs and the VP30 doesn't detect any of them. The HD+ had no problems with the same setup. If I manually select the VP30 video input for the D-Link, it works and doesn't drop it (with auto standby enabled). After locking on to the signal, if I choose "auto" again, the VP30 looses it. Are the detection thresholds the same on the VP30 as they were on the HD+? Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
no one else is seeing these color issues ?? My set is perfect spot on Color Decoder wise when directly inputting these said devices, per my post above when adding the VP30 in the chain things get nasty and quick

-Gary

·
Registered
26,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigile /forum/post/0

Also, on another issue, can the VP30 pass through audio when nothing it attached to the video source? I have the Xbox360 vga cable going directly to my TV, but I have the optical audio going to the VP30. I have assigned the 2nd optical audio to the HDMi4 soure (which has nothing connected to it) but when i select that source with the xbox on, no audio comes out.

I'm fairly certain the scaler won't pass any audio if there isn't a corresponding video signal coming in with it.

·
Registered
683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

no one else is seeing these color issues ?? My set is perfect spot on Color Decoder wise when directly inputting these said devices, per my post above when adding the VP30 in the chain things get nasty and quick

-Gary

Gary,

These strange color patterns show up with our setup only when changing the color space on either the input or output from defaults. We have the HDTivo's HDMI feeding the VP30 with the Input color space set to "auto"(YCbCr444) and the output (HDMI-->DVI) set to RGB.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I got my VP30 yesterday and am playing with it. My first step is to get all of the RS232 codes operating. That seems to be coming along very nicely with one exception.

I can not get the Remote control (IR) working through the RS232 port. Supposedly (according to the HD+ Automation manual) one sends a command (code "30" and a command ID of "A2"

I send the following: (STX)3005A2(NUL)B(NUL)(ETX)

I get back: (STX)02022(NUL)F8(ETX)

Which is the Error: Invalid Packet ID (Query Command etc.)

This implies that the Packet ID of "A2" is incorrect but is what is documented. The one byte data value I send is "B" whose Ascii equivalent is 66 and in hex that would be 0x/42. The code for "power on" in IR is decimal 66, and the code stated in the HD automation manual is 0x/42 so it all seems to make sense.

Is "A2" the correct code for IR remote control operations through the RS232 interface?

Anyone? Thanks

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
that is correct, same with me, all input devices are set to auto input color

the VP30 shows correct colors when inputting a 444 signal and outputting RGB

the problem is when inputting RGB and outputting RGB, the colors are seriously FUBAR

I have HDMI sources which only output RGB and I have another HDMI source that allows me to switch between RGB and 444 on it's HDMI output(I have the color decoder patterns for all devices), that is how I narrowed the problem down to RGB input and RGB output having the seriously skewed colors

Component and all inputs(except HDMI RGB) show near perfect color decoding

I am positive that someone could confirm this problem in no time with my info here and have it showing on their display

-Gary

·
Registered
22 Posts
peteS,

It's been put up on the DVDO site ! Look under Support - Automation
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS /forum/post/0

Has anyone got the ccf as yet that could post or email it? I know Josh and the guys will post it soon, but no doubt they're working flat out on the audio problem and I'd really like to get my Pronto setup tonight. If anyone has a link or could email it, that would be great.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butchyboy /forum/post/0

Has anyone seen an issue with a video source not being auto detected? I have a D-Link DSM-520 Media player and the VP30 will not auto detect it when it's on; even when I have it set to #1 priority in the auto detect sequence (and no other sources turned on). I've tried using its svideo, component and HDMI outputs and the VP30 doesn't detect any of them. The HD+ had no problems with the same setup. If I manually select the VP30 video input for the D-Link, it works and doesn't drop it (with auto standby enabled). After locking on to the signal, if I choose "auto" again, the VP30 looses it. Are the detection thresholds the same on the VP30 as they were on the HD+? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Butchyboy,

This may very well be an issue. I have experienced the exact same problems with my setup. Even tried turning off " Auto Standby " in Config without any change.

Hopefully it's a software fix !

·
Registered
446 Posts
choddo2006: I've been using DVDO scalers and Panny PHD plasmas together for years in UK.

Best solution is to use analogue output from DVDO to panel, and BNC connections are the best: you get 50Hz material with no frame rate conversion, you can also get 48Hz to remove judder on Region1 DVDs if you wish.

The VP30's analogue output is EXCEPTIONALLY good, and combined with BNC input on plasma is indistinguisable from DVI connection in my setup.

StooMonster

·
Registered
26,635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

the VP30 shows correct colors when inputting a 444 signal and outputting RGB

the problem is when inputting RGB and outputting RGB, the colors are seriously FUBAR

I have HDMI sources which only output RGB and I have another HDMI source that allows me to switch between RGB and 444 on it's HDMI output(I have the color decoder patterns for all devices), that is how I narrowed the problem down to RGB input and RGB output having the seriously skewed colors

I have an Oppo DVD player sending RGB to the VP30 by DVI-to-HDMI cable, and the VP30 set to output RGB to my projector by HDMI. I don't have any color issues like you describe.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/0

I have an Oppo DVD player sending RGB to the VP30 by DVI-to-HDMI cable, and the VP30 set to output RGB to my projector by HDMI. I don't have any color issues like you describe.

Ditto.

1941 - 1960 of 6829 Posts