AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What benefit can I get from this assuming I have a Mitsu 65907, DISH 6023 and Sony DVP-S9000ES?

Will it double the output of the DVP and the DISH 6000?

WHat application is it best?

thanks

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have a Mits 55857, I use my DVDO to double Satellite, DVD's, and anything else that I play through my Tv. The Mits line doubler is horrible. Way too many jaggies, the DVDO is very smooth and solid. So, it will do what your Mits is doing, just better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey Gregg! I'm about to purchase either an RCA 38 incher direct view 16X9 or the new Sony 34 incher direct view 16X9 set. I am unfortunately limited to only an analog coaxial cable input for TV signals. Will the ISCAN Pro accept such an input or do you know of some sort of converter cable for it? Another alternative might be to run the cable into an old VCR and then use either an S-Video or RCA cable out of the VCR into the ISCAN. Do you think the ISCAN will help with analog cable in such an application? Thanks in advance to Gregg or any one else who chooses to respond. Waving!

------------------

Cobra

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The iScan Pro will scan double analog cable well. If your goal is a progressive picture and your TV can handle 480p, it's the best easy way to achieve that with an analog source.

Try to find a vendor with a 30-day money back or start by just trying the built in scan doublers on the RCA and Sony sets. I personally think they both suck, but you might like them Cobra.

Mark

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Cobra, as I understand it, the DVDO does *not* have a tuner, though. You'll need something that gives you a composite or S-Video signal. The DVDO "Pro" also has component inputs, which would be nice for a DVD player with interlaced component outputs.

I believe I remember that the inputs are auto-sensing, also, so you could hook up a couple of sources (like a DVD to the component and a VCR/tuner on the S-Video), and the box will switch to the one generating signal.

Anyway, that's all from memory; be sure to check the specs.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Suprabilis,

The Dish 6000 will scale everything up to 1080i or 720p for display. Some people think it is a little soft, but I watch everything upscaled to 720p on my Panasonic and it looks beautiful.

What I'm saying is, if you are going to get the Dish 6000 anyway, you may want to check this out before investing in an external scaler.

Brian

·
Registered
33,434 Posts
To the guys that have the IScan, would you describe the picture it produces as "soft"? Since I've seen this effect with many line doublers, I'm wondering if this is a side effect of the IScan process.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks to Mike and Rogo, and any others who have posted in regards to my ISCAN PRO issue(s). I will probably connect my ISCAN to the VCR and come out of the VCR into the ISCAN. I am also interested in any replies to Ken's question on the ISCAN rendering a soft image. Thanks in advance all . . . Waving!

Cobra

------------------

Cobra

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I have a DTC-100, DVDO Iscan V2, Toshiba 2109 DVD player, and Denon 3300 that does all of the switching. I don't think the DVDO softens the picture. My DTC-100 viewed via the RGB on NTSC really softens the picture. Most DirecTv NTSC stations are overly compressed,.. probably Starz 520 is the only station that I think I get a DVD quality picture from. The DVDO really shines with my DVD player,.. I bought the 723 JVC DVD player, and the Toshiba 6100(model?) to compare, and they both went back. I couldn't really see the improvement over the DVDO and my old DVD player. So, both players went back. Once and a while I'll resort back to the Mits line doubler, just to remind me why I spent $500 on the DVDO.

As mentioned the DVDO only has S-video, and composite inputs. The pro has component inputs. So, you'd have to use a VCR to decode the cable and put it through the DVDO via composite or S-video.

I rate the DVDO as the best "I couldn't stand watching NTSC without it upgrade".

Now back to HDTV.

DVDO V2

Toshiba 2109

Mits WS-55857

Denon 3300- I actually use my second room out on the Denon to go directly to my TV,.. that's what I use to compare the DVDO's picture with. It also helps with PIP.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I am considering adding a "DVDO iScan Pro" to the equipment described below ...

TV: Sony Wega KV-32XBR400 (480i/480p/1080i)

HDTV DirecTV+OTA: ProScan PSHD-105 (Same as: RCA DTC-100)

RGB-to-component converter: RCA VHDC-300

Receiver: Onkyo TS-DX484 (DD5.1 & DTS)

PVR: Philips 14-hour TiVo HDR112SA

DVD Player (NOT Progressive Scan): Sony DVP-S360

Dual Deck VCR: GoVideo GV-4600

QUESTIONS:

1.) If my TV does NOT allow its line-doubler to be disabled, can I still get the same benefit from it?

2.) Would the standalone TiVo need to be left out of the loop?

3.) Can the "DVDO iScan Pro" be used for everything (cable, satellite, OTA, DVD, VCR) without needing to plug/unplug everything? It looks like I'd need at least two paths:

PATH-1:

DVD -to- DVDO iScan Pro -to- TV.

PATH-2:

Satellite/cable/OTA wires from wall -to- ProScan -to- TiVo -to- VCR -to- DVDO iScan Pro -to- TV

Where does the Onkyo Receiver come into play?

Maybe I think I'm just too confused to bother.

------------------

Rick W. Scogland

My Email Address:
[email protected]

My Home Theater:
The Scogland Home Theater

Remember "Actual Reality" ... it puts virtual reality to shame, and it's like you're actually there!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Hi Rick.

The DVDO will give you 480p. I'm not familiar enough with your TV to know what it does with a 480p signal. If it scales it to 1080i, I'm not sure what the results would be.

My plan for integration of the DVDO is to run all my "normal" NTSC sources through my home theater preamp, which does audio and video switching. The "monitor" output will go through the DVDO to the TV.

The component-output DVD player (interlaced) will go to the DVDO's component inputs, and the S-VHS connection on the preamp will be left disconnected for the DVD input. I think that should give the desired result when I switch to DVD -- the audio will go through my preamp for DTS/AC-3 decoding, but the DVDO will detect no signal on S-Video and will switch over to the component output.

The HD output of the Dish 6000 will go directly to one of the other inputs on the TV, so in that one case I'll have to switch inputs on the TV.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The DVDO iScan v2 is often criticized as being soft. However, the DVDO iScan Pro is a significant improvement, and produces an impressive picture, and I doubt if it would be soft by anyone's standards. The DVDO iScan Pro has composite/s-video/component inputs (one each) and component output, which can be switched to either RGB or Y Pb Pr.

Cable TV almost always looks bad on HD-ready sets, apparently. It just stinks. With a DVDO iScan Pro, the least compressed channels on DirecTV can look good, and their pay-per-view channels approach DVD quality (or at least used to.) The 3:2 pulldown blue light kicks in on not only movie channel movies but also a lot of regular shows, like Babylon 5, and that's when the DVDO really shines. Interlaced DVD looks quite good line-doubled by a DVDO iScan Pro, but a HTPC totally smokes it for DVD playback.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

DirecTV + Sony SVR-2000 TiVo upgraded to 128 hours basic quality

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mike, I like your plan for how to integrate the iScan Pro. My DVD player (Sony DVP-S500D) has two S-video outputs, two analog audio outputs, one optical and one coax digital audio, in addition to component. As you suggested, I can run audio only to my receiver (digital, in my case). Then I can run S-video and analog audio from the DVD player to "Line 2" connections on my VCR and Replay.

My question is this: with good-quality outboard doubling and reverse 3:2 pulldown like the iScan Pro, what's the best choice for a direct-view HDTV, 36" or larger? I'm considering the XBR400, XBR700 and the 38" Loews. I've heard some good things on this forum about the Hitachi 36", although I haven't seen one yet. Any other candidates worth considering?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.