Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I have enjoyed all your wonderful information throughout the years but seldom end up posting. I took a look at a Sharp M20X today. I am upgrading from a DS1 (SVGA DLP). I took my DVD player to the demo (Panasonic RV80) and My IScan (DVDO). When running the video direct from the DVD player to the M20X by S Video I can use all the modes, 4:3, 4:3 boarder, Stretch, and Smart Stretch. But when I hooked up the DVD player to the IScan then to the M20X by a VGA cable I couldn’t use any of the Stretch modes. I really don’t want to loose this feature. As I understand it, it is better to have the projector stretch the image than have the DVD player down convert it to a 4:3 image. Plus the picture looked much better through the Iscan than going direct with the S Video so I know I still want to use the IScan.

My first question is does the NEC LT240 have the same problem.

Second if I used a VGA to Component breakout cable from the IScan to the M20X or LT 240 sending them a component feed would this work and allow me all stretch modes.

After seeing the M20X I am really anxious to see the LT 240 if the picture is really even better.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Gary,

I do not have any experience with an IScan, but I do have a progscan DVD player, which should come close. Yes, the M20X can use the stretch modes on progressive (480P) component input. Assuming the IScan can output component instead of VGA (RGB) video signals, then it should be fine. From what I understand, an external scaler that can output a VGA signal in the pj's native resolution (1024x768 in the M20X's case), and that signal is passed through un-modified by the pj, then you may get the best possible picture that way. The internal scaler is not _always_ the best, but is is often not bad. I can not help with the LT 240 questions. I have enjoyed my M20X after receiving it last summer, and now only occasionally lurk on the boards :).

Mike

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
The 240 will stretch anything coming into it via VGA without problem. I couldn't tell a difference between letting the projector do the stretch (i.e. sending it a 1024x576 signal) and doing it in the source (1024x768 with letterboxing) when playing DVD's.

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Quote:
My first question is does the NEC LT240 have the same problem.

Second if I used a VGA to Component breakout cable from the IScan to the M20X or LT 240 sending them a component feed would this work and allow me all stretch modes.
This is how I have my LT-240 set up:

Progressive DVD player to projector - RCA-to-VGA breakout cable.

IScan (for non-DVD sources) to projector - VGA-to-RCA breakout cable, attached with male-to-male RCA adaptors to another RCA-to-VGA cable running into the projector.

I have total aspect ratio control with no problems this way. If you were to connect the IScan directly to the projector with just a VGA cable, that would not work properly unless you break off the sync pin on the cable.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys:

I have pulled the trigger and ordered an LT240. If plugging the IScan straight into the LT240 doesn’t work. I think either telling the IScan to send out a component signal through the VGA, or try as Josh Z suggested and do a breakout from the IScan and back to VGA. . Hopefully just plugging in the IScan to the LT 240 will work just fine. It should be here by the end of the week so I guess I will know for sure very soon now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just wanted to post a thanks to Josh Z. I asked him which pins to break off to make the cable work. He did the research and sent me a detailed e-mail, I am most grateful. I just received the projector and will give it a go tonight.

It's people like Josh that make this forum something special.

GJ

·
Registered
27,938 Posts
Awwwwww, shucks!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick note on how it went. I only had a little while to play with the 240 last night. I sent just an RGB signal straight from the IScan to the 240 to start. I had full aspect control and it worked like a champ! If I can pull myself away from watching movies I'll try and post a review of sorts next week. This thing is very versatile and should work very well with my constant area screen approach.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.