AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone told me that my Sony 1270 with a DVDO would improve my picture greatly. Frankly I'm dissapointed. The "S" input with the DVDO looks brighter and sharper (albeit with scan lines). I am rear projecting through a soft polavision screen (?) I hat to go back to s video and remove the doubler but I'm not thrilled with the results. I just had the projector ISF calibrated. Any suggestions?

Neal

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm disapointed with both the lack of sharpness and brightness. If I reset the color temp to the factory preset, it get's noticeably brighter but the picture is flat and off color.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Neal, did the ISF tech calibrate the projector feeding it a 480p scan rate? If so, was the DVDO in the signal path or some other source? Ideally the DVDO should be in the signal path for best cal results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dennis, I'm don't understand your question but here's the setup. Digital cable via coax into a replay TV unit, replay into my sony reciever, svideo out of reciever into the DVDO and finally VGA out of DVDO into 5 bnc connector directly into the projector. Hope this answers your question.

Thanks, Neal

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think the question Dennis posed was a good one. Did the ISF technician use a signal from the DVDO to calibrate the projector? Or did he just use test signals generated by his own equipment... possibly because you did not own the DVDO at the time of the calibration?

If the technician did use the DVDO for the calibration then he is either incompetent or your projector has recently had a failure of some sort. I used to have a similar setup to yours and the results were wonderful. I owned a Sony 1272 and for the first 4 months I owned the projector I used a DVDO V1 with it. While the 1272 is not exactly the same as the 1270 I think that my results are not totally dissimilar.

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
Hey Neal,

First, most projectors benfit more from a scaler than a line doubler.

DVDO is a company (or rather, was a company). WHICH of their line doublers do you own? It's possible you got the early V1 models, which are not as good as the latest ones.

In either case, you need to calibrate your display for the line doubler (i.e., you have to change contrast, brightness, sharpness, etc. to match the signal from the line doubler).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.