AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the direction of the Pro is clear, for better or worse, and the tradein to Duo has been published on the website, I wondered if anyone who'd made the switch had comments on the change. In particular, what features and functions have you suddenly realised you were missing and did you notice any difference in the PQ.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS /forum/post/18300440

Now that the direction of the Pro is clear, for better or worse, and the tradein to Duo has been published on the website, I wondered if anyone who'd made the switch had comments on the change. In particular, what features and functions have you suddenly realised you were missing and did you notice any difference in the PQ.

From a theoretical standpoint, the only PQ difference that one should notice is from using the CMS on the Duo, which the Pro doesn't have. All of the other algorithms should be identical between the Pro and the ABT2010 chip in the Duo.

I think the differences in feature set have been pretty extensively covered in the DUO and Pro threads.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot /forum/post/18300852

From a theoretical standpoint, the only PQ difference that one should notice is from using the CMS on the Duo, which the Pro doesn't have. All of the other algorithms should be identical between the Pro and the ABT2010 chip in the Duo.

I think the differences in feature set have been pretty extensively covered in the DUO and Pro threads.

Thanks. The only function I'm aware of that's different between the Pro and the Duo from a PQ perspective is the MNR - which is reputed to be much more advanced on the Pro, but wondered if there were others. On the feature/functions side, it's quite easy to read the lists, but am curious if there were things people realised they missed once they got the Duo. For example, the Duo doesn't support output profiles. Now, with the Auto setting etc. for the Duo on things like framerate etc. this looks like it isn't a real problem, but in real life, does it present problems in real life situations with multiple sources. It's hard to think of all of the possible options and scenarios until you lay your hands on one.

ta

pete S

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Do they both process 36 bit color the same?

I have seen it mention that the Duo locks faster when changing inputs or if channel surfing from SD to HD and from 1080i to 720P cable.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew /forum/post/18301348

Do they both process 36 bit color the same?

I have seen it mention that the Duo locks faster when changing inputs or if channel surfing from SD to HD and from 1080i to 720P cable.

No - Pro doesn't to deep colour - that's Duo only. But then, my display doesn't accept it anyway, so not a big deal at the mo. I've also read the quicker switching - which probably makes sense as the Duo is newer tech..

I guess I (and probably other pro users) are trying to understand if there's any hidden gotcha's as to why to not move to the Duo. I know the obvious stuff (e.g. no custom timings, no per input per format setting saving) etc. and don't want to get into another "downgrade my $3500 processor to a $1200 one" debate as I think that's been discussed already. Just looking for some real world - I did it and I hadn't realised that this would be a problem - or, of course, I did it, and it all worked beautifully. TBH, above limitations aside, and given the clear "no major upgrades" message on the Pro - a sideways step to te Duo seems to be the only route to take.

·
Registered
395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS /forum/post/18300440

Well, I just pulled the trigger on upgrading my VP50PRO to the Lumagen XS instead. Hated to part with more money but I couldn't just downgrade/upgrade/sideways-grade or whatever it is of my VP50PRO to the Duo.

Talking to the folks at Lumagen was a delight when ordering. Very helpful with tips and explaining the process and their guarantees and support. Felt very comfortable and very human--and yet they know their stuff technically also. I felt appreciated as a new customer.

Also am getting the XS with the SDI module for my modded Denon 3910. Turns out I'm the first one to order that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Will the duo do most everything a Pro will for constant height projecting using a prismasonic lens? I'm almost sure it will do 2.35:1 with some shift capabilities but I thought I would just ask a quick question. I'm thinking about using one of these and moving my Pro to an older plasma. Thanks.

·
Registered
616 Posts
As far as my ISF friend informed me, the pro is better for a constant height projector. He can easily switch different aspect ratios and he indicated the Duo can't. I can't confirm.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
duo will not do CIH stuff, I am thinking duo plus pro
, for those that already have the pro and want CMS and greyscale, the videoeq pro is 1200$, upgrading to XS would be around 1500$, I can get a duo for much less than either of those

-Gary

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Gary - I am thinking about going with an XS too. My calculator tells me to do that would be $2000. $1500 trade value towards a $3500 machine. Can you elaborate on the Duo's lack of one button aspect ratio change for CIH?? What all do you have to do to jump from one AR to another?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I was curious if the Duo could shift a 2:35 image down to the bottom of a 16:9 screen. I ask in the Duo thread but I guess nobody knew. Since then I've been told it could not, but the person that told me didn't know it could be done on the pro, until they tried it. I know some people use to talk about that in 30,50 and pro threads, so I don't think I'm the only one that uses that. I just prefer it be all black on top rather than bars top & bottom.

I know at this time or maybe never the Duo don't have profiles, but I just wanted to know if it could shifted in any way. I take it the shift on the Duo acts like the pan on the Pro.

Output Setup -> Aspect Ratio -> Display -> 16:9,Output Setup -> Aspect Ratio -> Screen -> 2.35,Input Aspect Ratio -> Frame AR -> 16:9,Input Aspect Ratio -> Active AR -> 2.35,Output Setup -> Aspect Ratio -> Shift -> Vertical -> 131

That's bascially how to do it on the VP50pro.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS /forum/post/18300953

Thanks. The only function I'm aware of that's different between the Pro and the Duo from a PQ perspective is the MNR - which is reputed to be much more advanced on the Pro, but wondered if there were others. On the feature/functions side, it's quite easy to read the lists, but am curious if there were things people realised they missed once they got the Duo. For example, the Duo doesn't support output profiles. Now, with the Auto setting etc. for the Duo on things like framerate etc. this looks like it isn't a real problem, but in real life, does it present problems in real life situations with multiple sources. It's hard to think of all of the possible options and scenarios until you lay your hands on one.

ta

pete S

Regarding the MNR, as I understand the information that I have (which comes from very reliable sources) is that all of the processing algorithms in the Pro and ABT2010 chip (which provides the processing for the Edge and DUO) are identical. So there should be no PQ difference between the two in that respect.

As far as output AR and profile flexibility, the Pro outperforms the DUO in that respect. Of course the usefulness of this will differ from user to user.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I think where you will notice A difference in picture quality Between the 50Pro & Duo

is if you utilize Dual HDMI outputs of the Duo, 1 HDMI Direct to Display Device & HDMI 2 to the Sound Processor thus Bypassing the passthrough of the Sound Processor,

Which from my experience when passing the Video through the PRE-PRO does most definitley degrade the picture quality noticeably...

Cheers..

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad /forum/post/18303073

I think where you will notice A difference in picture quality Between the 50Pro & Duo

is if you utilize Dual HDMI outputs of the Duo, 1 HDMI Direct to Display Device & HDMI 2 to the Sound Processor thus Bypassing the passthrough of the Sound Processor,

Which from my experience when passing the Video through the PRE-PRO does most definitley degrade the picture quality noticeably...

Cheers..

I won't say that all pre/pros will leave video information unscathed, but it really depends on the individual piece of equipment - there's no hard and fast rule about any receiver or pre/pro WRT how they pass video data. There are plenty of pre/pros and receivers out there that correctly pass whatever they're handled.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Mike you could prolly sell the pro for 1500$(with hd-sdi module) and then buy a radiance from a dealer for much lower than 3500$, I think I could make the switch for less than 1250$
and the XS has a SDI input module

-Gary

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/18303688

Mike you could prolly sell the pro for 1500$(with hd-sdi module) and then buy a radiance from a dealer for much lower than 3500$, I think I could make the switch for less than 1250$
and the XS has a SDI input module

-Gary

Hi Gary

Do you really think people will still pay $1500 for a Pro (even with HD-SDI) now that DVDO have announced no new features etc. for the Pro and a tradein for the Duo. I'd reckon the most you'd see would be Duo tradein money - i.e. the same as you'd pay for a new Duo - about $1000. There's currently a Pro on ebay for $499 with 1 day left.

pete S

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryWaz /forum/post/18301432

Well, I just pulled the trigger on upgrading my VP50PRO to the Lumagen XS instead. Hated to part with more money but I couldn't just downgrade/upgrade/sideways-grade or whatever it is of my VP50PRO to the Duo.

Talking to the folks at Lumagen was a delight when ordering. Very helpful with tips and explaining the process and their guarantees and support. Felt very comfortable and very human--and yet they know their stuff technically also. I felt appreciated as a new customer.

Also am getting the XS with the SDI module for my modded Denon 3910. Turns out I'm the first one to order that.

I too have looked at the XS route, but it's not really an option for me because of the lack of PReP. I live in the UK, and our satellite boxes output 576p for SD, and the DI is done in the box using a horrible onboard chip - the results are terrible. So, PReP is a must have for me.

·
Banned
27 Posts
Pete,

I am assuming that you are referring to the output of a Sky digibox. I need Prep since I have a Meridian DVD player. However the Sky problem can be fixed.

I personally use a media center setup. However IIRC the Sky box, whilst not user configurable to output in interlaced, can be forced to if sent an EDID from the display/sink telling the Sky box that all it can accept is interlaced. The Lumagen, I think, can be configured to output a custom EDID which will override the display EDID and force the Sky box to output interlaced. From what I have heard the interlaced output is a true direct interlaced output as opposed to being deintelaced and the re-interlaced for output.

It may be worth you doing a little research on this as it may solve your problem.

Myself I might just accept the deinterlaced output from my DVD player and go ahead with the Lumagen anyway. I am extremely dissatisfied with DVDO, their poor customer service, broken/empty promises, refusal to honour European guarantee, price gouging of European customers and to top it all off now not even offering the Duo 'Upgrade' outside of the US.

I wonder what deals Gordon Frasier at Convergent can offer us....

Cheers,

Tony.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony-Howard /forum/post/18304037

Pete,

I am assuming that you are referring to the output of a Sky digibox. I need Prep since I have a Meridian DVD player. However the Sky problem can be fixed.

I personally use a media center setup. However IIRC the Sky box, whilst not user configurable to output in interlaced, can be forced to if sent an EDID from the display/sink telling the Sky box that all it can accept is interlaced. The Lumagen, I think, can be configured to output a custom EDID which will override the display EDID and force the Sky box to output interlaced. From what I have heard the interlaced output is a true direct interlaced output as opposed to being deintelaced and the re-interlaced for output.

It may be worth you doing a little research on this as it may solve your problem.

Myself I might just accept the deinterlaced output from my DVD player and go ahead with the Lumagen anyway. I am extremely dissatisfied with DVDO, their poor customer service, broken/empty promises, refusal to honour European guarantee, price gouging of European customers and to top it all off now not even offering the Duo 'Upgrade' outside of the US.

I wonder what deals Gordon Frasier at Convergent can offer us....

Cheers,

Tony.

Hi Tony

Yep -Sky HD's the problem. I did look at this ages ago, and thought the conclusion was the opposite - i.e. that it reinterlaced the already deinterlaced output but, like I said, that was ages ago and I can't remember for sure. I see that Gordon's offering £1000 tradein on an XD, but that's still £2700 more to fork out - there's no XS tradein that I can see, and it's still a big extra lump of cash.

pete S

1 - 20 of 44 Posts