AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start downloading every program known to man and spending countless hours on them, opinions about DVD profiler? Is this, or does this seem to be the best DVD organization program out there? I've downloaded it and have used it and it seems pretty good, including the report generating section. I don't mind trying others, but loads of people have mentioned this one title so far. Does anything come close? Right now, I just have the free registration.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I looked at a few of them and ultimately chose DVD profiler. I don't really see any others that I'd even consider, based on usability, interface, and ease of use updating the website.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I too came to the same conclusion and am using DVD Profiler.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Just going to throw in my recommendation for DVD Profiler. Definitely not perfect* but the best I've seen, and much better than the alternatives, which all seem to rely on website parsing.

As for is the upgrade worth it, basically all it gets you is higher quality cover art (there are a couple other features). However what I did, was to scan all my covers as I ripped my DVDs, so the upgrade to pro was not worth it for me (I have better scans than I'd get from Pro I imagine).

*The only issue I have is the inconsistency of some of data, especially for less mainstream titles (Anime) especially box sets/series.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info here!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
Just going to throw in my recommendation for DVD Profiler. Definitely not perfect* but the best I've seen, and much better than the alternatives, which all seem to rely on website parsing.

As for is the upgrade worth it, basically all it gets you is higher quality cover art (there are a couple other features). However what I did, was to scan all my covers as I ripped my DVDs, so the upgrade to pro was not worth it for me (I have better scans than I'd get from Pro I imagine).

*The only issue I have is the inconsistency of some of data, especially for less mainstream titles (Anime) especially box sets/series.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have tried another program that I think blows away DVD Profiler. I've been using it for about a week now and it becomes more powerful every day. Also, the output functions are awesome. The reporting isn't as good, but is programmable. It's really good stuff and I recommend you check it out if you are looking for a good catalog/organizer type software for your DVD collection. The program is called "Movie Collector" by a software company called Collectorz.com. The website of course is www.collectorz.com . It's a great program and very powerful. See ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeligny
Before I start downloading every program known to man and spending countless hours on them, opinions about DVD profiler? Is this, or does this seem to be the best DVD organization program out there? I've downloaded it and have used it and it seems pretty good, including the report generating section. I don't mind trying others, but loads of people have mentioned this one title so far. Does anything come close? Right now, I just have the free registration.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Interesting... They also have book, music, comic, MP3, photo, and game collector programs. Unfortunately, every single one of them is $40. That's definitely not worth it to me. Perhaps a product that integrates all of them combined for maybe $50, and I'd buy it.

These programs (even the paid, pro version) also don't even automatically upload to the web. They can output to HTML, but then you have to set something up to programmatically transfer to a web server, etc. Why do that when I get it automatically from DVDprofiler for free? This seems like a good option for those who really want to organize their non-movie collections, but for movies I'll stick with DVD profiler until collectorz.com decides to be more reasonable about their pricing.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DVD profiler uploads to a web server of your preference or only theirs? I used DVD profiler for a little while, to which have no HTML output and you can indeed send your profile and info of movies to your web account on their servers...but what about your own web server? Maybe this was some thing I missed?

Also, I like to keep my music/movies/books/photos all seperate to begin with. having them all bundled into one program or organizer some times is a little hectic. Not to mention while it may be really nice for movies, it might not be as good for books. I'd rather have a software title dedicated to one thing so it will give you %100 of what it's suppose to do.

I'm still going to check back DVD profiler and see about the web server uploading thing you were talking about. Either way...outputting to HTML and then uploading them probably only takes a couple minutes more of your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimj
Interesting... They also have book, music, comic, MP3, photo, and game collector programs. Unfortunately, every single one of them is $40. That's definitely not worth it to me. Perhaps a product that integrates all of them combined for maybe $50, and I'd buy it.

These programs (even the paid, pro version) also don't even automatically upload to the web. They can output to HTML, but then you have to set something up to programmatically transfer to a web server, etc. Why do that when I get it automatically from DVDprofiler for free? This seems like a good option for those who really want to organize their non-movie collections, but for movies I'll stick with DVD profiler until collectorz.com decides to be more reasonable about their pricing.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Quote:
Also, I like to keep my music/movies/books/photos all seperate to begin with. having them all bundled into one program or organizer some times is a little hectic. Not to mention while it may be really nice for movies, it might not be as good for books. I'd rather have a software title dedicated to one thing so it will give you %100 of what it's suppose to do.
If you have separate software titles that do similar things and are made by the same company, and they are merged and it doesn't look seemless, then I'd say the software designer didn't do a very good job. At the very least amount of work, you can put each separate program in one section of an all-encompassing program, and put a tab strip at the top, and you select what program you want, and everything else changes with it. I guess what I'm mainly getting at is that there are many much more complex programs for sale for less than $40, and they seem to just be separated to make more money (which isn't bad in itself, but what they're asking, IMO, is an unreasonable price).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdeligny
DVD profiler uploads to a web server of your preference or only theirs? I used DVD profiler for a little while, to which have no HTML output and you can indeed send your profile and info of movies to your web account on their servers...but what about your own web server? Maybe this was some thing I missed?
DVDProfiler updates their own website, and it doesn't have a native option to transfer it to your own website. However, I'm not sure why you'd absolutely want it on your own website, if they provide the hosting. I guess if you wanted to, you could run a one-line command to mirror the site onto your own web server, but I don't see much point in that.
Quote:
I'm still going to check back DVD profiler and see about the web server uploading thing you were talking about. Either way...outputting to HTML and then uploading them probably only takes a couple minutes more of your time.
If I go to the store and by a movie or two, I don't want to have to enter it in, and take a couple of minutes to export and load to the web server every time. My wife has to do this too, and I'd have to give her a list of instructions.. It's enough just to have her remember to go to Online->My Profiler, and click Next->Next->Finish. (It's easy to forget since it's a separate step after you add the DVDs to the local database, but it does only take literally a few seconds)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I own and have several active domains. I wouldn't want to use some one else's for my information. I would like to use my own...in case I want to make some personal changes or customizations. Don't worry, DVD profiler will start to charge customer's use of the space and those functions if they haven't started already. You have peaked my interest though...so can you tell me the URL where your movie list is so I can check it out for myself? I assume it's off of DVD profilers website some where....I just wanna check it out.

Thanks!

Quote:
DVDProfiler updates their own website, and it doesn't have a native option to transfer it to your own website. However, I'm not sure why you'd absolutely want it on your own website, if they provide the hosting. I guess if you wanted to, you could run a one-line command to mirror the site onto your own web server, but I don't see much point in that.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Slightly OT, but does anyone know if DVD profiler or a similar program can output code to something like girder or even the dvd software.

Basically if one was to have electric screen masking and when the movie started the dvd program got code of some sort from the database to check the aspect ratio and send out the signal to adjust the masking accordingly.

I'm pretty sure Kaleidescope systems have this but cost a fortune.

·
Registered
244 Posts
DVD profiler does include the aspect ratio when you export your database to xml so if the software in question was able to access that information and use it as a variable to control you masking I think that it would work. I am playing around with XLobby on my laptop to decide if I want to build an HTPC and from the looks of things I should be able to access that info within Xlobby. If that is the case I could add a command that would be sent to a usbuirt or probably girder when I play the movie that would mask apropriately. It's great that you asked this, I hadn't thought of it before, but I think that my ideal setup will be an HTPC controlled constant height setup, now that I have this seed in my head I will plan on playing with it some. I don't have girder or USBUIRT now but I could play around with accessing the variable.

It should be possible.

Good Luck,

Brian

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Quote:
DVD profiler does include the aspect ratio when you export your database to xml so if the software in question was able to access that information and use it as a variable to control you masking I think that it would work. I am playing around with XLobby on my laptop to decide if I want to build an HTPC and from the looks of things I should be able to access that info within Xlobby. If that is the case I could add a command that would be sent to a usbuirt or probably girder when I play the movie that would mask apropriately. It's great that you asked this, I hadn't thought of it before, but I think that my ideal setup will be an HTPC controlled constant height setup, now that I have this seed in my head I will plan on playing with it some. I don't have girder or USBUIRT now but I could play around with accessing the variable.

It should be possible.

Good Luck,

Brian
I'm going constant height so it's just side masking.

Zoom Player allows you to execute a program (batch file would work) when you play 4x3, 16x9 Letterbox, 16x9 Anamorphic. Its 2.35 thats the problem. Thats where the database could come in handy.

Even just pushing one button is easy but if you want to make it family friendly you need something totally automated, so it's just put in the dvd and it does the rest.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Come on...you rave about profiler and the fact you can upload your list automatically to their website so can you please paste the URL so I can check it out? Don't tell me it's only accessible via a username/password. If it is, then what a waste if you ask me. I have been loving Movie Collectorz Movie program and also loving the HTML output to MY OWN domain and do have all the control after that to modify and change the source of course. I even have multiple lists up. One is a simple list for real movie buffs to browse very quickly through and the second (the default one) includes more information visually to give the user more infomation quickly. Check it out once again if you like. Both of these are un-modified HTML from the program itself. And yea, the INDEX# is where the movie is in my 400 disc changer....

www.photopiks.com/dvd

Quote:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.