AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many here, I think I want to edit DVDR recordings on a computer instead of the recorder itself. I downloaded Handbrake to import the recordings to my computer as MP4 files - a bit slow, but it works. Now all I need is some editing capabilities. Don't need anything fancy, just the ability to delete unwanted sections, insert chapter markers, and perhaps fade to or from black.

Is there any freeware available for simple stuff like this, along the lines of what Audacity is for audio?

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
22,560 Posts
If you want to have a DVD-video as your output, you shouldn't be converting to MP4 1st, you just lose quality.

Most DVD-video authoring software can import a DVD or even DVD-RAM directly. I record on RAM and import to TMPGEnc-Author for editing. I just copy the main VRO folder from the RAM disc to HDD and open that in the software.

The only thing you need to know is what format your DVD-R is using and be sure to close the disc.

Also note that any time you introduce things like fade-in/fade-out you may force re-encoding of the entire video in some software. But MPEG-2 does not NEED to be re-encoded so you want something that leaves the video untouched if possible. TMPGEnc-Author has smart encoding so it only re-encodes those parts that require it. Changing audio codec also forces a re-encode of the video.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m recording on a hardware DVD recorder using DVD+RW discs. I don’t really see a process for finalizing a disc with this recorder, just erasing them for re-recording.

When I loaded the disc into my computer drive tried to copy and paste the video to a folder, all I got was a couple of folders labeled “VIDEO_RM” and “VIDEO_TS” that I couldn’t do anything with (or least I couldn’t figure out what to do with them). With Handbrake I was able to import the recordings as a MP4 video. Do I need another process for importing?

BTW, the source material is VHS tapes, so loosing picture quality isn’t an issue at this point. But if there’s a better way to do this I’m interested, in the event that I ever need to transfer from a better source in the future.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
22,560 Posts
Losing image quality is always an issue, and even more so when the original content is poor. A common misconception, and the worse it is the more you have to lose in quality. You should be able to import those discs into most any DVD-video authoring software, and you can just copy the folders onto HDD.

If the disc is not finalized, you can't access it on PC, but you appear to have been able to do that, so they are likely finalized automatically. Not being finalized means that the recorder will allow you to continue to add titles and content, once it's finalized you can no longer do that. On some recorders, RAM and -RW discs can be used in that way and don't need to be finalized.

The selection and use of DVD-video authoring software may be outside the scope of this forum. There are certainly lots of options and places to read up on them. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/20853255

@ Wayne There's a free software program called DVDFab HD Decrypter that you can use to copy your DVD+RWs to the pc hard.drive. No encoding to MP4 necessary.
http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter.htm

Then use TMPG DVD Author for editing it.

If the disk is not protected there is no need of DVD Fab or any other decryption or ripper software. I can put the optical disk in the drive and use TMPGenc DVD author directly to import the desired title(s) into the project.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
^ I've had problems using TMPG DVD Author importing content from my Mag 2160 recorded discs directly, so I didn't want to recommend it to him all by itself.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I've successfully used TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 to import finalized DVD-Rs for editing, but it would not import from DVD-RAMs. The reader is a Samsung 22x DVD-RW DL drive. Should a DVD-RAM work, or should I be using a DVD-RW?

·
Registered
22,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMas /forum/post/20854285

I've successfully used TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 to import finalized DVD-Rs for editing, but it would not import from DVD-RAMs. The reader is a Samsung 22x DVD-RW DL drive. Should a DVD-RAM work, or should I be using a DVD-RW?

I use version 3, you need to use the "source wizard" to access DVD-RAM or DVD-VR discs or files.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Earlier this week I downloaded a program called Freemake Video Converter that had good on-line reviews. It claims to accept the RM and TS files I got from the DVD+RW disc. Perhaps between that or the DVDFab program Kelson recommended I’ll be in business. Been a busy week - hopefully I’ll have some time to play with it this weekend.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.