AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the right forum, but it is obliquely DVD recorder-related.

I travel a lot, and bring one of my DVD recorders, to record movies or keep up with favorite TV shows. Some hotel satellite systems start at channel 12 or higher. If the TV is older and has no RCA jacks, I use an RF converter. However, to do so, I need access to channel 3 or 4. Some TV's will not let me access those channels.

So, my question is this: is there a a way to connect my DVDR (yellow/white/red) to my laptop computer, to use it as a TV monitor? I wouldn't even need sound - I just need to set up the DVDR and program timer recordings.

Can this be done?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
It would depend on the capabilities of your laptop. I sincerely doubt it will work, but the manufacturer and model would at least help.

·
Registered
506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy /forum/post/20805390

This may not be the right forum, but it is obliquely DVD recorder-related.

I travel a lot, and bring one of my DVD recorders, to record movies or keep up with favorite TV shows. Some hotel satellite systems start at channel 12 or higher. If the TV is older and has no RCA jacks, I use an RF converter. However, to do so, I need access to channel 3 or 4. Some TV's will not let me access those channels.

So, my question is this: is there a a way to connect my DVDR (yellow/white/red) to my laptop computer, to use it as a TV monitor? I wouldn't even need sound - I just need to set up the DVDR and program timer recordings.

Can this be done?

Yes, ATI USB , and it seems to also have an yellow/white/red adaptor for DVDRs.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
crabboy, you never fail to amaze with your unique needs and questions: you have to be one of the most original posters on the AVS dvd recorder forum.
I don't think I've ever in my life heard of anyone with your particular hobby: taking a DVD recorder on frequent travel trips.

Your answer in this case depends on the laptop. If you have an Apple MacBook Pro or advanced (pricey) Windows laptop, it comes with built-in A/V inputs (usually in the form of a mini headphone jack requiring one of those goofy cable adapters that come with portable DVD players). All you'd have to do is attach the adapter cable to the laptop, run a red-white-yellow line out cord from the recorder to the laptop, and activate whatever software will show the video input onscreen.

But if I remember correctly, you have the more common garden-variety "built to a price" laptop which is a sealed box with no expansion or upgrade possibilities (i.e. every Windows laptop priced under $600 and the white plastic Apple MacBooks). To use such a laptop as a video monitor for a recorder, you would need one of those accessory USB A/V input dongles that patch a typical line out cord thru USB via software. Just doing a quick random Google search came up with this *ION device , there are many others at a range of prices/quality/capability. If you just need it for monitoring, buy the cheapest thats compatible with the OS on your laptop.

That, or buy one of the useless 9" portable TVs that go for fire-sale prices (now that everyone realizes ATSC broadcasts and portables don't play well together). These run about $80 and can be used as monitors for external input. Its yet another thing to pack and travel with, but not much bigger than a USB dongle (plus it avoids tying up the laptop and installing potentially problematic A/V USB drivers).

·
Registered
506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear /forum/post/20809148

crabboy, you never fail to amaze with your unique needs and questions: you have to be one of the most original posters on the AVS dvd recorder forum.
I don't think I've ever in my life heard of anyone with your particular hobby: taking a DVD recorder on frequent travel trips.

Your answer in this case depends on the laptop. If you have an Apple MacBook Pro or advanced (pricey) Windows laptop, it comes with built-in A/V inputs (usually in the form of a mini headphone jack requiring one of those goofy cable adapters that come with portable DVD players). All you'd have to do is attach the adapter cable to the laptop, run a red-white-yellow line out cord from the recorder to the laptop, and activate whatever software will show the video input onscreen.

But if I remember correctly, you have the more common garden-variety "built to a price" laptop which is a sealed box with no expansion or upgrade possibilities (i.e. every Windows laptop priced under $600 and the white plastic Apple MacBooks). To use such a laptop as a video monitor for a recorder, you would need one of those accessory USB A/V input dongles that patch a typical line out cord thru USB via software. Just doing a quick random Google search came up with this *ION device , there are many others at a range of prices/quality/capability. If you just need it for monitoring, buy the cheapest thats compatible with the OS on your laptop.

That, or buy one of the useless 9" portable TVs that go for fire-sale prices (now that everyone realizes ATSC broadcasts and portables don't play well together). These run about $80 and can be used as monitors for external input. Its yet another thing to pack and travel with, but not much bigger than a USB dongle (plus it avoids tying up the laptop and installing potentially problematic A/V USB drivers).

What is wrong with ATI, who have been in the video business for many years. It may be 5 times as much, but there should be no driver issues. AFIK, todays laptop offerings, outside of Mac's no longer offer multi-media fun, unless it has been licensed and sanctioned by windows and the "industry". Yes there are cheaper dongles and for what he needs the ION should work just fine as a "monitor" since that is all he needs. He is not looking for recording and setting up timed programs on the laptop. If he were to do that, he may as well trade in both the DVDR and current laptop and buy a very nice Multimedia Laptop from HP that has that capability built into it and gauranteed to work just fine without driver issues.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly /forum/post/20809239

What is wrong with ATI, who have been in the video business for many years.

Nothings wrong with 'em, timtofly, we just posted our answers simultaneously so I didn't see your ATI suggestion. I couldn't think of ATI off the top of my head, I had the Black Magic Intensity stuck in my brain (overkill) so ran a quickie Google search for something generic (which led to the *ION, something cheap I didn't know existed before today).

Yeah, those HP MultiMedia laptops are nifty- I was tempted when the older models closed out a month ago, but their trackpad and buttons are HORRIBLE: worst I've ever tried by far (when I checked on forums there was 99.9% agreement: HP was voted worst trackpads in history three years running). A shame, because otherwise HP has a nice value proposition going on several models if you shop the sales carefully. They seem to have FINALLY gotten a clue: their latest "consumer" laptops with contrast rubber edges have MUCH improved ergonomics. The current low-end HP trackpad is still "textured" but more responsive, and the separate left/right soft-touch buttons are a thousand times better. Sadly the high-end multimedia HPs are still cursed with their signature black one-piece stiff metal trackpad: useless, unless you need something to cause instant carpal tunnel syndrome.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear
crabboy, you never fail to amaze with your unique needs and questions: ....I don't think I've ever in my life heard of anyone with your particular hobby: taking a DVD recorder on frequent travel trips.

....That, or buy one of the useless 9" portable TVs that go for fire-sale prices ...
I admittedly have a lifestyle unique to this forum! I play in a band, and travel regularly. I take advantage of HBO in hotel/motels in order to build up my movie collection. I am currently sitting in a Motel 6 in Reno, Nevada. My band is playing various venues for the "Hot August Nights" festival. I arrived only to find that the M6 had contracted with a new satellite provider, and I could not access channels 3 or 4.

The ION device that you linked to looks promising. If I find that this problem is spreading, I might get one.

I have (at home, I wish I knew I'd needed it!) an ancient black & white Panasonic portable that would give me what I need. I (temporarily) solved the problem by taking your last bit of advice - I went to a local thrift store and picked up a pretty decent Panasonic 13" color set for under five bucks.

Thanks for your reply. I was having no luck searching the web, no matter how I phrased the question. This forum has answers for everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts