AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm in the process of speccing up a HTPC but I'm most worried at the moment about the DVD drive.

Basically my experience of them in PC's the past few years hasn't been good. At the moment in my 'main' PC I have a Pioneer 6x SCSI slot loader and it's fine with DVD's (albeit too loud), but with AVI's or VCD's burned onto CDR's (yes, I've tried different brands), it'll spin up/down a lot and stutter during a movie.

Just after a DVD drive that's quiet and can play an AVI/Divx or VCD all the way through as flawlessly as from the hard drive. I've a feeling this might be too much to ask for with cheaper and shoddier components used these days, but hey, it's worth asking isn't it? ;)

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Up! :)

Read reviews of the latest Pioneer + Hitachi drives and am unconvinced :(

I'm just after IDE (so ignore the SCSI reference)...

Anyone?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
UP!

Played a DivX last night from CDROM on my Pioneer.

Sch-took

Sch-took

- Pic + Sound stall

Sch-took

Sch-took

- Pic + sound carries on

Repeat about thirty times and increase toward the end of the movie. :)

Reminds me of the old days with 4/6X CDROM drives, my older 2X drive was much nicer playing 'Jagged Alliance', the faster drives would spin up too fast and anything MM/speech would take an age to seek, and overspin during longer parts.

Progress, eh? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Joe_Pasquale,

the most quietest DVD-ROM drive you will find from the recent 12-16x players is Sony DDU1621.

It has one MAJOR disappointment and that is NO ability to do error correction on dvd discs. I don't know why it's like that, but this has been verified by techchannel.de tests.

So, if all your dvd discs are pristine, this is the leasty noisy drive for your HTPC.

cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, I'll go hunt out some reviews. :)

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
The quietest I've found is the toshiba 8x cd/cdrw/dvd combo. In all modes it is nearly inaudible from 2 ft away. If it didn't have a light I wouldn't even know when it was running. And I've reduced all the fans in my pc to near silent speed, so I'd know it if I heard it.

Got mine for $75 new on ebay about a month ago, probably less now.

Troy

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
This could be slightly off-topic, but I have a problem, it is in reading my burnt VCD's and SVCD's on my DVDRom's. I would like to just put in a DVDRom in my HTPC, but all three of the DVDRom's I have (old 2x Hitachi, generic Frye's, and Pioneer 105 (I think), seem to have problems reading the CDR's I produce. They read DVD's and music CD's fine. I have tried the "fixes" that are posted, such as at vcdhelp, different media, recording speeds, etc. I have found that if I use a "regular" CDRom drive (such as a generic Frye's 50X), I have much better results. Is this more than likely related to error correction?

So, does anyone think that this Liteon DVD might act more like a CDRom when it comes to reading this type of data? I already have 3, but I could spring for one more, because I have a growing collection of SVCD's that I am downloading and also ripping :), and I would still like to have one drive in my HTPC. For now, I am sharing out the actual burner on another machine, but have to go into the office to swap CD's :-(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.