AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've been reading the forum for a while now. I'm still confused. I want to first get my HTPC to show the best picture to my 1080i directv view TV. I have a ati 9000 pro video card.

1) Do I need a capture card to watch DVD's through dscaler?

2) For watching DVD's is ffdshow better than dscaler, what is the difference?

3) Does dscaler only work with outside video sources? Tv coming in and such or can i use it to improve my signal from my internal DVD rom drive?

Thanks!

-John

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
1 Yes, if you are using an external DVD player.

2 Don't know

3 Yes.

Best in my opinion is to use your internal DVD Rom and let your video card scale to 1080i or 540P - see thread on custom resolutions.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You don't necessarily need to use Dscaler at all, but it is possible to use Dscaler's filters for internal DVD-ROM sources. Through Zoomplayer you can use FFDshow, Dscaler, and any combination of the two for 1080i playback. I don't see a significant improvement using Dscaler myself, so I don't usually bother with it.

Using either one through an internal DVD drive seems to ME to be superior to using an external DVD player and a capture card, since this would require you to use the DVD player's S-video output and lose a good amount of resolution and image quality before scaling it back up to higher resolution. But I'm sure there are cases where this would be worthwhile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.