AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still waiting for my 7-pin component adapter for my ATI Radeon HD 4350 to show up so I can actually view HD material on my TV from the PC, but I'm curious about what I'm going to run into when I get to that point. From what I understand, anything better than 480p is generally restricted when playing back original DVD or blueray material, which is one reason I never bought an upconverting DVD player or blueray player (my TV is from 2003 and only has component inputs). It very much appears that HTPC's can overcome this, and the most popular method I am finding is to use AnyDVD. Is this limitation correct?

My next question is, are there other good options out there besides AnyDVD? I'm a bit put off by the fact that AnyDVD appears to have an expiring license, and I really don't want to have to deal with that. Also, does AnyDVD itself have good internal capabilities for creating unprotected DVD files, allowing me to convert my DVD library all at one time and be able to watch them unrestricted going forward? I ask this because I see there is a 21 day trial period for using the product (I assume things are fully functional for the trial), and since my DVD collection is only about 100 discs, I may be able to just convert my stuff now and be covered until we get new stuff (where I may be able to reinstall the trial?). We really don't buy new DVD's very often, we mainly just get them as Christmas and birthday presents.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
dvdfab is the best ripper and all around best tool period for that sort of thing. I dont do bluray but assume it does that equally well. It sucks it costs money though but they do regularly update it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like dvdfab has a free option as well. What limitations are associated with the free dvdfab vs the pay version?

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Rip the main movie as H.264. You can use handbrake (free) to do this, but you will still need AnyDVD to break the encryption. If you want to dabble with Linux AnyDVD is not required and you can rip/backup as needed. I use my Linux box to rip DVD's and WMC7 to watch on my main TV.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm playing with DVDFab today, and I have already successfully ripped a few of the kid's Disney movies. Of course, for the next 30 days the license is fully open, so I am getting all the features. From what I understand, after the trial period is over things still work, just not on "new release" movies. That's fine by me, we don't get new movies too frequently, and our library titles are all pretty dated. For my purposes, it looks like DVDFab will be a great solution.

One issue I'm running into is the fact that ripping to Ipod format is pretty CPU intensive (P4 3.4 GHz), and it's taking about an hour per title to convert. The plain DVD rips look to either be done via the GPU or just don't tax the system much and finish up in 20-30 minutes. If I use handbrake (which I understand also does Ipod rips), will this have similar slowdowns? If I upgrade to a slower, but dual processor system, should I see noticeable improvements?

Still can't wait to see how things look on the component out in true HD resolution, when I contacted XFX about not being able to get things working over my 9 pin DIN to component adapter, they said they would send me one that should work with my card. Hopefully I'll have that by next weekend!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18266956

On your RPTV be sure to clean the lenses/mirrors if they haven't been done in a few years. Makes a HUGE difference in PQ.

I hear you on that. Last time anyone was in there was when I had one of the boards replaced, which was about 4 years ago. My recollection from the tech that took care of stuff was that he was surprised how "not dirty" my set was for never being cleaned in 3 years. Cleaning this stuff up is usually something a handy person can do themselves, right?

·
Registered
999 Posts
DVDShrink used to be the best backup software I ever used, but it hasn't been updated in ages.

Truly a shame, since it really was a great piece of software.

I've used "CloneDVD" with success. A very simple user interface. Good for backups where you just want to make an identical copy of your original DVD.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is a lower panel (vertical) and an upper panel (slanted forward) that both appear to be removable. Which one is likely going to give me access to the optics? Is there anything I need to be careful of when removing the panels?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts