AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This can't be normal? I've had Mediacom HDTV for 2 weeks now, and while it's much better than standard definition, I still don't feel it's better than plain-old DVD's. For example when watching college basketball on ESPNHD, it's just not clear enough to see the players faces on anything other than close-ups, and on scenic outdoor scenes on DiscoveryHD, it's not nearly as impressive as I've seen on other TV's.

Is the problem my TV? (Samsung 5086W DLP), or (and more likely) Mediacom compressing the image too much? I'm thinking of moving to Dish, not only for more quality, but I'd get twice as many HD channels for roughly the same amount of money per month.

I have the cable box hooked up with the supplied component cables - is this my problem? I know component is not digital. Should I order a DVI --> HDMI cable to go from my cable box to my TV?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not all HD channels are 100% HD programming. I have HD service with another cable co. and not all of ESPN HD's games are in HD. Surprisingly, the non-HD games can look crappy on a digital TV. I don't think cable co. would be allowed to compress a network's signal to the point of degradation.

Component vs HDMI should not make a significant difference in your HD video quality. It might be worth using a different set of component cables to rule out if the cables are defective.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was under the impression that programs that are not HD would have black bars on the sides? Also, it isn't just ESPN, it's more or less ALL the HD channels. The picture just doesn't POP out at you, ya know? I've seen HD on other TV's and I just don't feel mine is comparable... Maybe my standards are too high, but I feel it should look noticeably better than DVD's.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Are you sure the cable box is set to output 1080i/720p? Maybe the component out is crappy on that box...either way, an HDMI/DVI connection would likely provide a better picture with your digital display.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynberg /forum/post/0

Are you sure the cable box is set to output 1080i/720p? Maybe the component out is crappy on that box...either way, an HDMI/DVI connection would likely provide a better picture with your digital display.

Yes. I've changed it numerous times. The tech initially had it set at 1080i, I changed it to 720p to see if that would make a difference, it did not, so I switched it back to 1080i after reading that most broadcasts are in that format.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I suggest getting a calibration disc - I recommend AVIA - and giving that a try. Plus getting a DVI-HDMI cable. The cable probably won't make a huge difference, but it's unlikely to be worse, so you might as well stack the deck in your favor.

You could also search the forums and see if someone has posted calibrated settings for your specific TV model and duplicate those to see if there is an improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.