AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with OOP (in the US) DVD's that are available by mail order from Brazil? Dealers say that they are official releases coded in R0; menus in Portugese, Portugese subtitles (removable), etc. Seem to be coded R0.

Titles that I've seen are:

- Concert for Bangladesh

- Rolling Stones Let's Spend the Night Together

- Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion I & II

- Once Upon a Time in America (w/ De Niro) -- hear that this is full screen & not such hot quality.

I've also seen Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter that is supposed to be from the same master as the US Criterion, except with Portugese menus. It's priced way less than the US Criterion version.

Anyone? If so, any comments? Recommended dealers?

Thanks and regards

BB

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've bought two Region 0 DVD made for Brazil, off of Ebay. For the most part, they played fine -- I've only had a problem accessing some of the extras for one of them. While the videos are in English, the menus are in Portuguese for mine. They are also two music DVDs - Village People greatest hits and Bob Marley 1986 tribute in Central Park.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wgreid: Thanks for your response. Sounds like the kind of stuff I'm looking at. How is the video / audio quality of the discs? Who did you buy from? Were you satisfied with the transaction?

Thanks for your help.

BB

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have noticed several listings from people in Brazil selling

a region 0 copy of "THE DAY AFTER". Anyone buy this title?

This title is SUPPOSEDLY coming out on DVD in the states

December 02/ January-February03??

I would LOVE to get this even from Brazil if it played ok!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've gotten the following dvds from Brazil:

Guns N Roses 1&2(excellent but there is a 1 sec glitch on disc 2..hardly noticeable..5.1 dolby digital)

Concert For Bangladesh(pretty good w/ dolby digital 2 ch)

The Day After(full screen,looks ok but would recommend waiting for the reg 1 release)

Angels w/ Dirty Faces(Cagney & Bogart)(looks like an ok vhs copy)

Copacabana(Groucho Marx)(pretty good considering its age)

F For Fake(orson Welles)(look pretty bad & would freeze up about 10 minutes from the end which was a factory defect on all the copies so i ended up returning it for a refund)

Overall i've been pretty satisfied with the quality considering none of them have been released here.They're all in fullscreen & have some extras although most of them are text(bios,awards,etc)& usually in spanish.I bought them all from a Brazilean dealer i met through ebay & believe i paid $18 for each one except Guns N Roses which is 2 dvds & was $28(i think).I found it was alot cheaper to just contact him directly then to start bidding on ebay.I don't know if i'm allowed to post his email here so if anyone wants it just send me an email & i'll send it to you.Hope that helps!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your response, BigGuy & welcome to AVS Forum. Doesn't look like you have private mail (PM) enabled -- can you please e-mail the info to me at [email protected] ?

Anyone else?

Thanks and regards

BB

·
Registered
326 Posts
I bought one from a website called dvdbrazil.com (feel free to edit this away if it's naughty to mention a website).

It was a 2001 Haley Joel Osment/Willem Dafoe movie that hasn't been released in the US (yet) .... "Edges of the Lord" ( http://us.imdb.com/Title?0245090 ). It was fullframe.... but looked great. The box & menus were in Portugese,... but the movie was in English... and all subtitles were removable. I guess it was region-free... cuz it played fine in my region 1 player.

Great movie.... I hope it gets US distribution sometime soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.