AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry for posting a question that may seem very simple to most of you. But I couldn't find an answer in this forum.

I have a brand new Sharp Aquos LC-32D64U and I am trying to set it up with the Blu-ray version of DVE HD. (Skin tones seemed too pink, that made me go out and buy DVE).

Gamma and Brightness are set right - that's the easy part, but I am very confused about the color section and the correct use of the three filters.

The DVD talks about adjusting blue, red and green. Am I supposed to only do this by tweaking color saturation and tint? Should that be enough to get the color test screen look right through all three filters? What if not?

My Sharp TV also has an advanced color menu that allows me to tweak hue and saturation of R, G, B, Y, C and M. Am I not supposed to touch these settings at all? Or should I try to tweak individual colors if my three-filter-test has some color squares stand out, even when everything looks perfect through the blue filter?

I am very grateful for any tips or links that help me understand this better.

Thank you very much in advance.

--- Markus ---

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
You have probably read by now that the filters are not very accurate, and I agree. How accurate they will be varies widely between TVs. I don't recommend putting much faith in them, though you don't have much choice besides buying expensive gear or hiring a pro calibrator.

That said, you can go about it a couple different ways, but I would do as you said; adjust color/tint with the blue filter, then if any colors stand out significantly with the other filters use the RGBYCM controls. Try leaving the hue alone and adjusting only the saturation of the various colors first. After you're done, if fleshtones still look too pink/red, you can experiment with bringing the R tint toward yellow. Not too much, though.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Sharp's CMS is incomplete ... need 18 controls to do it right. Also need instrumentation to do it right. Filters don't cut it here ... sorry.

Using a 12 control system might get one interesting looking graphs but bad looking images.

The way for you to tackle things with the filters are to use the blue one and get the color and tint set right. Then look at real life reference material (like the jennifer girl on the DVE disc) and verify if the filter actually works right. Sometimes they don't work right at all. These things are tools and don't always work right.

Final judge of how good the filter worked is with your eyes.

regards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try both your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

My first step - before I even got the DVE DVD - was to use the THX patterns on a Disney Blu-ray disc to get black and white levels right.

Since skin tones were too pink, I did in fact tweak the hue of red towards yellow and that alone made a huge improvement.

But I'll start from scratch with the DVE RGB filters tonight and maybe get a better result without even having to tweak CMS settings.

I use a pro-calibrated Sony monitor at work (I am a film editor), but for my home TV, a close enough calibration is fine - I won't buy equipment or hire a pro.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts