AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new this forum and maybe this is too basic a question. What can you do with the DVE-HD disc? I have a new Sony LED tv (55HX800) and obviously want to get the best performance out of it (most accurate picture). Now that I ordered the disc, I am wondering what can actually be done with it? For instance, there is no way for me to adjust the grayscale of the set (other than a gamma setting)-am I correct in this?

Basically, I know the disc explains things, but I wanted to try to get some practical experience from members of this forum.

Basically, I have played around with some settings recommended on the HX800 forum, and have found one setting that works pretty well except there is still a slight bluish cast to whites-will I be able to correct this with the dvd?

One other question-doesn't the blu-ray player quality affect the image seen from the dvd, so if I use a cheaper Sony rather than say an Oppo player(just examples) or a more expensive Sony, will things appear differently-or are the different players that close in image reproduction that it is insignificant?

If this is not the appropriate forum for this, please direct me to that forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi hmunster2,

Without a meter and complementary software package you will be able to adjust...

Brightness (Black Level)

Contrast (White Level)

Colour

Tint

Sharpness

You will not be able to adjust the greyscale or do CMS adjustments.

If you haven't done so already have a read of this excellent document about greyscale calibration. The three popular softwares used to achieve this are ColorHCFR (Free), CalMAN and ChromaPure .

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

You can set the user controls correctly ... the big 5. You also have enough usable patterns on the disc to figure out the 1:1 pixel mapping advantages ...

Getting all that right pretty much amounts to getting 70% of the way there in terms of overall improvement to the image.

The instrumentation and software packages and the know how behind it can take you the rest of the way. 70% is nothing to sneeze at.

Regards

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 /forum/post/19580641

Hi, I am new this forum and maybe this is too basic a question. What can you do with the DVE-HD disc? I have a new Sony LED tv (55HX800) and obviously want to get the best performance out of it (most accurate picture). Now that I ordered the disc, I am wondering what can actually be done with it? For instance, there is no way for me to adjust the grayscale of the set (other than a gamma setting)-am I correct in this?

Basically, I know the disc explains things, but I wanted to try to get some practical experience from members of this forum.

Basically, I have played around with some settings recommended on the HX800 forum, and have found one setting that works pretty well except there is still a slight bluish cast to whites-will I be able to correct this with the dvd?

One other question-doesn't the blu-ray player quality affect the image seen from the dvd, so if I use a cheaper Sony rather than say an Oppo player(just examples) or a more expensive Sony, will things appear differently-or are the different players that close in image reproduction that it is insignificant?

If this is not the appropriate forum for this, please direct me to that forum.

Thanks

You may not be able to adjust the grayscale accurately yourself, but at least the disc allows you to examine the visual uniformity of the grayscale (to detect any problems). Also, you can use the disc to pick the best color temperature preset by eye. You want to pick the setting that has the most neutral whites and grays. No bluish tint (as you get with the higher temps), no greenish or reddish tint (that you may get with the lowest temps).

Going by eye and picking the best preset is the best you can do for the grayscale. Doing some research on your model, you may find someone has already reported what the most accurate color temp setting is. If that is the case, you would want to use said color temp.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This also crossed my mind, do most people connect their blu-ray through their AV receiver (or processor), so that they can get the losless codecs also, or do they run it directly to the tv? Obviously (I would think), running it into the receiver subjects it to the processing chip in the receiver-correct?

So, then would you make your settings with it connected through the receiver or directly into the tv? The end result of the calibration would be different in both cases, wouldn't it?

·
Registered
6,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 /forum/post/19598832

This also crossed my mind, do most people connect their blu-ray through their AV receiver (or processor), so that they can get the losless codecs also, or do they run it directly to the tv? Obviously (I would think), running it into the receiver subjects it to the processing chip in the receiver-correct?

So, then would you make your settings with it connected through the receiver or directly into the tv? The end result of the calibration would be different in both cases, wouldn't it?

Many if not all receivers allow you to turn off or bypass their video processing, so if you're concerned about it, that's the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts