AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 46" sharp 92 series and I want to check for banding while under the 30 day exchange time. I have a 360 elite with the hd drive connected via hdmi. I have the hd version of dve. I can't figure it out. It doesn't have any documentation. I also have master and commander. Before I worry about calibration, can someone explain how to check for banding and dead pixels with dve? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,702 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Here's the link to Joe Kane Productions' 147 page PDF document of program notes on the HD DVD version of 'DVE': http://www.videoessentials.com/dvehd...gram_final.pdf . While you're there you may want to check the program notes for the NTSC version. Both are very helpful.

You should find Joe Kane's article in the new 'Widescreen Review' issue beneficial as well. It helped me understand some things about the new HD version better.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Registered
496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper /forum/post/0

can someone explain how to check for banding and dead pixels with dve?

Are you looking for dead pixels or stuck pixels? They are two different things. You don't need DVE to find (or fix) either of them. This site will help you with defective dead pixels. A program like this one will help you to fix stuck pixels

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm actually hoping for simple instructions for checking banding and pixels. I'm not interested in calibrating or anything else right now. Just simple instructions to use dve to check for banding. Links to general dve help is not what I'm looking for. I guess I can print out 147 pages of the pdf. But what I was hoping for was five simple steps or something like that.

I have a lcd screen and a hd player connected via hdmi. Anyone have simple steps to check for banding using the dve hd disk?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Select 'Video Tests' at opening screen

Select '1280 x 720p' and 'Test & Calibration'

FOR BANDING:

Select 'Video Calibration'

Push the down arrow button until you rotate the thumbnail patterns to the 'Ramps & Steps, Luma' pattern. The smooth gray ramps in the pattern should reveal any banding. You can also continue to the 'Ramps & Steps, R' for red only, then G, B, C, M, Y.

Use the left arrow button on the remote to return to previous menu pages.

FOR DEAD PIXELS:

In the 'Test & Calibration' section, select 'Uniformity'

Rotate the patterns to view full field video black to full field white in 20% increments. These should reveal dead pixels. Continue on to view RGBCMY full field patterns in 75% and 100% luma levels if desired.

The new 'Widescreen Review' issue has a helpful article by Joe Kane that you would benefit from. Also included is an index for both the 720p and 1080p sections of the disc. They do not contain the same patterns.

The same index for 1080p is on page 14 of the PDF program notes, and page 69 for the 720p section of the disc.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much. This is excatly what I needed.!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/0

Select 'Video Tests' at opening screen

Select '1280 x 720p' and 'Test & Calibration'

FOR BANDING:

Select 'Video Calibration'

Push the down arrow button until you rotate the thumbnail patterns to the 'Ramps & Steps, Luma' pattern. The smooth gray ramps in the pattern should reveal any banding. You can also continue to the 'Ramps & Steps, R' for red only, then G, B, C, M, Y.

Use the left arrow button on the remote to return to previous menu pages.

FOR DEAD PIXELS:

In the 'Test & Calibration' section, select 'Uniformity'

Rotate the patterns to view full field video black to full field white in 20% increments. These should reveal dead pixels. Continue on to view RGBCMY full field patterns in 75% and 100% luma levels if desired.

The new 'Widescreen Review' issue has a helpful article by Joe Kane that you would benefit from. Also included is an index for both the 720p and 1080p sections of the disc. They do not contain the same patterns.

The same index for 1080p is on page 14 of the PDF program notes, and page 69 for the 720p section of the disc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.