AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally received my copy of Digital Video Essentials yesterday and was checking it out last night. I was sequencing through the various test patterns when my wife came into the room. I stopped the DVD and restarted it so that she could see the cool space shuttle sequence. Suddenly, my 3½ year old Toshiba SD-3109 refused to play the disk. I tried reloading it, turning the power off and on, and tried several other DVDs, and none would play. Tried again this morning, still dead.;)

Talk about luck, I've been wanting a new progressive scan DVD player for over a year, but since I had already bought a new plasma display and HT receiver this year, I didn't have the nerve to press the issue with my wife. I've been sitting on the sidelines while all of the affordable top performing progressive scan DVD players have been going extinct. Well, my wife said this morning "We won't have time to shop for a new one this weekend, so you better go ahead and order what you want online".:D

I just ordered the Denon DVD-1600 based upon three hours of research and reading on this forum. It's my first progressive scan unit, so I hope it lives up to my expectations.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll have to make a note of that:

Make sure wife sees equipment failure so she can't blame me for purposely causing it.:D

I've got a Toshiba SD-3109 also in addition to an Apex 3201. Been looking for an excuse to get a progressive player....

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'm gonna make a note of the secret of your success with your wife!! These are important lessons in life.

Good luck with your new player! It has fabulous reviews.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it seems that I fixed my Toshiba SD-3109. I dismantled it and watched carefully as it tried to load a disk. I noticed that the laser assembly did not move or try to seek the beginning of the disk. It turns out that a small gear that drives the laser assembly along two rails had become disengaged. I adjusted it and now everything works fine.

I told my wife I'd return the Denon 1600, but since it is already on its way, she said we ought to go ahead and keep it.:D She's a keeper!;) I guess we'll move the Toshiba into the guest room when the Denon arrives.

-Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.