AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i have a LG MZ-42PZ13 with the res "852 x 480". I ame going to buy a jvc K30 in the US. I know that the d-theater titles are in a mutch higher res "1920 x 1080" but my tv can still show that res. but does it look good?

i hope so :)

thanks

Rasmus

PS. sorry if this is the wrong toppic fore this thread.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
It looks like EDTV, which is like a progressive scan DVD. Your display is the limiting factor.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Every time I've seen HDTV on an ED plasma, it looks gorgeous. It may have the same pixel count as DVD, but it looks much nicer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a JVC 852x480 plasma. The JVC 30000 is nothing short of amazing. Far superior to DVD in my opinion. Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
The tapes look glorious on the plasma. Lights years ahead of DVD and even the best ones, better than OTA HD broadcasts.

·
Registered
871 Posts
As folks here are saying, the PQ is largely source dependent.

A 1080i source is going to look lightyears better than a 480i source simply because there is so much more data packed on the former, even on a 480p display.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
It looks like EDTV, which is like a progressive scan DVD. Your display is the limiting factor.
As I understand it there is more color data with the 1080i, even if it is downscaled to the same number of pixels as progressive scan DVD. It also seems like the less compression would help. I haven't seen this on an 852x480 plasma, but I was wondering the same thing.

Technically, I can't think of any reason that it wouldn't look much better than compressed DVD, unless the plasma had a horrible downscaler.

--Darin

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Every current plasma I've seen has a downscaler that is just fine or better. It's pretty easy to do downscaling and it's done well. It's also true the rich color palette of HDTV is wonderful.

The fact is that there is no comparison at all between progressive DVD and HDTV even when the pixel count is only 852 x 480. Check it out for yourself.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Rogo is correct. My experience exactly. I have been watching alot of HD and progressive DVD on my plasma for the past year and there is no comparison at all.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
I second the motion. Adding a DVI connection raises the bar even more (i.e. Samsung SIR-T165 to NEC 42MP3). The fact is DVD usually doesn't have more than 550 lines of content; even Superbit DVD can't go higher than 720. The bottom line is you can always see the extra detail an HDTV source provides over DVD on an 852x480 plasma.

-Dylan

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
As Darin mentioned,

HDTV will always look better than even the best DVD on a 480 line display. The reason is simple. There are only 240 lines of color information on a DVD (or EDTV), but there are 540 lines of color information in HDTV. 540 scaled down to 480 will always look better than 240 scaled up to 480.

Leszek

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I watched ABC, output in 720p for the first time for me, to the Sanyo Z1 (540 lines). There was a level of detail I'd never seen before in an ABC broadcast (which heretofore I'd been outputting at 1080i, regardless of display device.

If anyone is looking for a career change, I'd suggest HDTV-compatible makeup is going to be a growth area.

Mark

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Having seen this at a few trade shows, it did not impress me much at all, but I will defer to the majority opinion of other members in this matter.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Make up is a factor to consider in HD production. Comcast has had to redo their make-up practices for CSN-HD. I was also told that ESPN was grapling with this issue as well, i.e. how to make their studio hosts look good in HD when they go one line next year, that is, assuming we will be able to get their signal by then.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I have to say some shows have made progress on make-up already. There was times last year when the crew on CSI looked awful in close-ups. That has happened a lot less this year -- if at all.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I wish all could see the JVC30K with the "demo" tape, or NOVA stuff or anything using videocams to "film"! Even on the 850 x 480 it is Superb viewing. I have the 1024 x768 Panny and it is only "slightly" better than the former. I do not regret the extra bucks for the 1024 version, but wish I had gotten the 50" Panny )1366 x 768 just for the bigger screen. Both 42s and the 50 are all amazing with HD source.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.