AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the new JVC Dvhs player? If so, what are your thoughts and where can you buy movies?

I am really interested in this product. the reviews are incredible, but I am leary about purchasing a unit with movies costing greater than $100.00 (One questions... will the technology take off in the mainstream market?)

Pat

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
Pat,

I think it's a safe assumption that it will *not* take off in the mainstream market. The unit and the tapes are much too expensive. The mainstream is perfectly happy with DVD or even standard VHS. Rumor has it that HD-DVD may be available as soon as a couple of years from now, which would also suggest that D-VHS will have a relatively short market life.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Are software titles really slated to be in excess of $100?

Jeff

·
Registered
912 Posts
I believe this is a ploy to those (like my 'rents) who have vehemently resisted buying a DVD player until now. The angle will be that you don't have to replace your entire VHS collection, because this D-VHS unit will be backwards compatible.

I personally am very happy with the 480p feed I receive from my DVD player.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Quote:
I believe this is a ploy to those (like my 'rents) who have vehemently resisted buying a DVD player until now.
I don't know about that.

My parents certainly wouldn't pay $2,000.00 for what they can buy at Cost-Co for $59!

(Not to mention the need of a HD TV to take advantage of the picture!)

JEff

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Seriously though, neither HD format will take off with the market right away. HD-DVD is at least 2 years away and DVHS is already skating on thin (and I mean very thin) ice. Except for the couple thousand people out there that actually have the money and care enough to replace DVDs for videotape *ugh*. I seriously doubt it goes anywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.