AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a DVD player with a DVI output (Oppo), but the DVI cable does not fit into my Infocus 4805.

Does anyone know if there is an adapter to make this connection work, and if so, where can I purchase it.

I believe the DVI input on the projector is "DVI-M1"??

Thank you.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
The 4805 has an m1 input. In order to use DVI, you need to get the M1 to DVI adapter or cable. There are quite a few 4805 users with the Oppo including myself. I'm using the Infocus m1 to DVI cable.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I bought mine online. Not too sure if those retailers you mentioned would have them. Possibly a local home theater shop that sells the ScreenPlay line of projectors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in the same boat but with a Dell 3200MP projector. I hear that there is always a loss in quality when going through an adapter (often acting as a bottleneck since your cables are likely to be of higher quality). Is this true?

Also, anyone know where I can find some high quality DVI to M1 cables to bypass this problem?

·
Registered
74 Posts
you can purchase a M1 -> DVI direct cable (ie, connects directly to output on DVD player, rather than connecting another cable) on ebay for about $25. $10 less than the adapter. I heard the cable is great from people that have used it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's something I'd be willing to look into, but I question the quality of a cable that costs so little. I'll try to dig up some info on it around here. Do you know who makes it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know who makes it. I haven't looked into them in a little while. No time.

BUT.....I know of a guy who has the same projector, same oppo player, and he is very happy with the ebay cable. he said there is a significant difference from component to dvi upconverting player! I'm going to go through the same route, I just need to order the player.

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah i'm very excited to see how this turns out. the only reason cable quality is so important to me is because i have to run about 25' of it. and from what i hear, dvi is not suitable for these long runs.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,571 Posts
I have a 10M dvi cable and it worked just fine with the sat box but not so good with the Oppo. Over on the oppo thread there was some discussion of a "weak signal" coming out the oppo DVI connection (not the full voltage) and that a distribution amp would boost it to standard and overcome the distance.

It did and now both work fine over the 10 meters.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.