AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

dvi and firewire?

144 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Benji 
#1 ·
I understand that three Mitsubishi projection models released this fall will have a firewire connection conforming to the 5c copy protection scheme that Warner and Sony have agreed to support. However, the other five major studios have agreed to only fully support displays with DVI and are looking at 5c to allow copying. So, does that mean that those Mitsubishi sets may some day not be able to display product from the other five studios in full resolution because they don't have a DVI connection? But might be capable of passing the signal to a digital VCR to copy the material in full resolution?

#2 ·
A Mitsubishi Customer Service Rep told me today, that they are not planning on supporting DVI. I mentioned the DirectTV adoption of DVI and the fact Mits makes DirectTV HDTV set top boxes. I was told no information was available at this time.

I would not buy a fully integrated Mits HDTV with IEEE1394 until I know if DVI will be available at a later date.

My current Mits WS-55805 upgradable HDTV has the promise module guarantee. However, I do not know if the promise module will eventually have a DVI port so I can receive DISH Network HDTV via DVI from my upgradable Echostar 6000 HDTV receiver. Echostar has told me that they expect to have the DVI port on an upgrade module for the 6000.

It appears Mits does not want to adopt DVI or hopes if too many sets have IEEE1394 and 5C DVI will disappear.

Just my opinion.

------------------

Hot

#3 ·
Hey Guys,

Please gets your facts correct.

All of the studios who has sign on with DVI has already sige on with IEEE1394/5C interface. These new STBs will have both the DVI and IEEE1394 ports on them. If the Content provider do not want you to copy, then the service provider (Directv or Dish) will set the anti copy flag on the IEEE1394 interface.

The DVI interface will limit your rights. It cannot be recorded. No manufacture will produce any recording device that use DVI or have HD-Analog outputs. The DVI is a computer interface that make it vary easily to add graphical material to the digital data stream.

The only way that HD will be recorded is with the IEEE1394/5C interface.

If you buy any DVI equip equipment you are a total fool.

Remember fools and their money soon depart.

The best thing to do is not to buy any equipment with only the DVI interface.

If you are in the market for a new HD set, Mitsubishi is the only manufacture that has promise to provide a upgrade module.

Again I say, please get your facts correct.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

#4 ·
Um, excuse me Bruce, but I think your statement
Quote:
If you buy any DVI equip equipment you are a total fool.
is a little misleading.

You've just said that the STB's will have both DVI/HDCP and 1394/5C interface. 1394 will be for recording HD content, and DVI will be for display.

So, why would you not get a TV with DVI? You're not going to record the HD content on your TV, are you? I'd agree that it's probably not a good idea to get a set-top box with only a DVI connector, but it seems like a pretty safe bet to get a TV with a DVI connector, since DirecTV, Dish and Cable Labs have all said that they'll have DVI connectors on their boxes.

Am I missing something?

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

#5 ·
Thanks for the information HOT. I bet they change their mind pretty quickly though. If Mitsubishi wants their TV to be the control center for your home a/v set up it would be senseless to be able to route full definition programming to other devices (digital VCR or other recorder), but not display the programming on the TV itself. I agree that you should stay away from a set that doesn't support both connections. At least until the future is a little clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.