AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting confused about the variety of inputs that are on these plasmas (and other displays) and what they are each used for.

I'm looking for instance at the inputs on the NEC 42MP3 as an example.

I understand S-video and composite although I've never seen composite on a BNC connector, always on an RCA. Where would you get a BNC composite signal?

It has three RGB inputs, one is 15 pin mini-D which is what I think of as a computer connector, one is 5-BNC. Why 5? The only kind of RGB signal I can think of having seen is component video out which came on three RCA plugs out of a DVD player. Where would you put a signal like that?

HD inputs are either 5 RCA or 5 BNC it seems, is that correct?

Finally it has a DVI input, is there a standard for that, what kind of equipment puts out a signal for it?

Roland

·
Registered
241 Posts
To answer your 5 BNC question:

1) Red

2) Green

3) Blue

4) Horizontal Sync

5) Vertical Sync

You can get 15pin (VGA) to 5 BNC connector cables at any decent computer shop. I picked mine up for $30 and I'm using it with my Dish 6000 HD receiver - works great.

·
Registered
925 Posts
rols - DVI is a digital video interface. very few devices use it right now (at least in the consumer realm). the connectors on all the the PDPs i'm aware of are "standard". search the archives - there's a pointer to the DVI standards group and you can get all the data you'd ever want and then some.

the problem is that very few consumer devices output DVI. largely, this is so for legal reasons. everybody assumes a protectable DVI standard will be forthcoming in Q1 2002 (DVI HDCP). content owners don't want you to be able to make perfect copies of their content.

i drive my PDP via a PC. various video cards have DVI out. the Key Digital Leeza (a scaler, etc.) has DVI out. very few devices have DVI out.

doody.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
You can easily get a BNC->RCA converter, or RCA->BNC converter.

Higher end BNC cables are a bit better looking (image quality wise).

BNC connectors are significantly more reliable and trustworthy than RCA (which can be easily pulled out slightly & introduce noise and interference by an imperfect ground connection).

·
Registered
282 Posts
My understanding is that with high end equipment that it is important that you use 75ohm bnc or rca adaptors to match the signal and cable -- otherwise you introduce alot of noise -- not all adaptors are 75ohm

Michael

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
It is safer to say you decrease the S/N ratio because of impedance mismatch. The noise is already there, however a decreased signal strength will of course show more of the noise in the system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.