AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at threads here that relate to this, but I see no clear answer to my question:

I see that my BD player will output 1080i through the component cables.

I have read that it is downgrading the signal from it's HDMI port, to the DVI input on the back of my Sony CRT (HDMI to DVI cable), to 1080i, by spec.

Which brings me to ask: what is the advantage, if any, to using the DVI cable over component cables to connect a blu-ray player to a HD CRT with only a DVI input?

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
AFAIK, it's sending 1080i because the set can't accept 1080p. It's not because your using DVI and not HDMI. Video wise, they are functionally the same.

There is little advantage in using a digital interface such as DVI or HDMI to feed an analog crt because the DVI/HDMI interface board in the set converts the video to analog soon after input. One advantage is to the piracy police in that HDCP is invoked on the digital interface.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@raouliii,

Thanks for that explanation. I guess if there is no advantage to using the DVI input over component cables, then I will reconnect the BD player using them and thereby free up the DVI input for something else.

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts