AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a customer who wants to run a DVI cable from his ceiling mounted projector thru his wall down to an "outlet"/"faceplate" and then be able to connect his laptop to this "outlet"/faceplate" to connect to the ceiling mounted projector.

Is this possible?

If so, what is involved and where do I find all of the necessary equipment, tools and parts to do this?

Many Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
456 Posts
oh, make sure to run a DVI-I cable (not DVI-D). These are backwards compatible with both digital and analogue DVI. And the plates in the above link have DVI-I connectors. DVI-D connectors will plug into a DVI-I jack.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Here is another source. I don't know what type of environment your solution will exist in (dedicated media room, living room, etc). Your client may find these to be more "astatically pleasing" in a living room environment than metal wall plates.

http://www2.dvigear.com/dviwallplates1.html

UPDATE- I didn't see the Decora Style at first on the Ram Electronics page above. Those should be comparable to the ones I'm referencing.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Question...

for the best future-proofing...should I run HDMI through the wall and then use a DVI-HDMI adaptor on each end to connect to my DVI gear? Since HDMI can do "more" than DVI (audio too) it seems that it would make more sense to have the installed cable an HDMI cable as long as there was no performance issue with using the converter/adaptors on each end with my DVI equipment...

thougts? I'm doing about a 20 foot run.

·
Registered
156 Posts
That's what I did (HDMI) both to "future proof" and also the connector for HDMI is smaller, easier to pull. The downside? No screw in sockets for HDMI to hold it in place. (upsides outweigh the downsides)

Ron

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Ron,

where did you get your HDMI cable from? Good cost? How long? I'm thinking it would be easier to pull as well with smaller terminations when fishing the wires.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
Ron,

where did you get your HDMI cable from? Good cost? How long? I'm thinking it would be easier to pull as well with smaller terminations when fishing the wires.

thanks!
I got a 30' run from Cobalt Cable. It did cost a bundle but it his heavyly shielded (the cable is as big as my thumb).

·
Registered
156 Posts
I got mine (and my component cable (one 35, one 40 feet) from BlueJeancable (or bluejeanscable.com- I can't remember if it is the singular jean or plural jeans!) Good price, seems to be a good cable (havent' tested the HDMI yet, just looking at the construction. Price was good, cable was shipped the next day, I got it in 2! I would buy from them again.

Ron

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
Ron,

thanks!
i bought my 30' from ramelectronics (see ad at top). decent price, great cable. i belive they are still running a discount for AVS members. excellent customer service.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I have a 25' from monoprice that is working just fine. I imagine it was far cheaper than any of the ones mentioned above. Half or maybe 1/5 of the prices at many stores. It is far better construction than the cable that came with one of my machines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.