AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok maybe I'm missing something here thats really obvious or maybe I'm just spending way too much time thinking about my HT and have fryed my brain but for the life of me I can't figure this out.

DVI seems like it's the "next big thing" so as I'm wiring for a projector I assume I should also throw a DVI cable up there in case the projector I choose has a dvi input or even just for future upgrades.

I go to find a DVI cable and I read in a few places that DVI isn't reccomended for more than 6 meters (too short for my placement) so I've found one person whom sells longer cables (up to almost 30 feet though I only need 25) but they are rather expensive IMO (~$200)!

SO I guess my question is twofold, should I even bother running a DVI (I'm guessing yes as reccomended distance is usually much shorter than acutal distance at least thats true with data cable anyway) and if so does anyone have a reccomendation as to where can I find a 25 footer without shattering the bank? Or am I just being a cheap butt?

· Registered
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by whphel
Vinc.com sells DVI cables in 2,6 and 10 meter lengths and the 10 meter one is about half what you just mentioned.
What is the quality?? (as if I'll know the correct answer)

· Registered
832 Posts
I bought a 10m cable from lindys and it works great with my Bravo D1 player and my hs10 projector, all the way up to 1080i. The cable was well under $100.

Bare in mind that 10m is beyond the 7.5m in the DVI spec, so your mileage may vary.

Eric.

· Premium Member
718 Posts
Long DVI cables have been discussed a lot in some of the other areas. It seems highly dependent on equipment and possibly environment. Some people have success with the

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys! I went with one from vinc and hopefully it will work alright (I really have nothign to test it with as I'm just pre-wiring the theatre prior to obtaining all the gear (holding out for the panny 500 and probably building up an HTPC out of old parts).

Maybe I could borrow a dvi monitor from work and test it with the DVI out on my computer just to see if it works though....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.