AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
What you're looking for is a DVI-D cable. Either a single link or dual link will get the job done, although going with a dual link is considered to be overkill when it comes to HTPC use (for many reasons). If you don't need anything longer than one or two meters, then you can pick up a cheap quality cable *cough* ebay *cough* and use it without any problems at all. I bought a 1m cable for just a few dollars shipped a while back.

·
Registered
194 Posts
will a DVI-I work for him?

I thought DVI-I would do either digital or analog????

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
DVI connections come in a few flavors:

DVI-A:

Analog video is carried on 4 pins on the left side of the connector. This connection is what allows HD15-DVI adapters. A cable that is DVI-A only will not transmit a digital signal.

DVI-D single link:

Digital video is carried on 12 pins in the middle of the connector. Maximum bandwith is around [email protected] (That's off the top of my head, but it's in that ballpark)

DVI-D dual link:

Digital video is carried on all 24 pins on the right side of the connector. Maximum bandwidth is around [email protected] (Again, somewhere in that ballpark...double check these figures before basing a purchase on them)

DVI-I single link:

Has both 12 of the 24 digital pins and the 4 analog ones, and can transmit either a single link digital signal or an analog one.

DVI-I dual link:

Same as above, but with all 24 digital pins and dual link bandwidth capability.

·
Registered
644 Posts
i don't think there's such a thing as a dvi-a-only cable. you can get either dvi-d or dvi-i. dvi-d should work on all connectors, but dvi-i doesn't. dvi-i will only fit outputs that have a crosshair pattern on one side of the output. dvi-d connectors will work on outputs that have only the single horizontal line on one side of the output, and they will work on dvi-i outputs as well. good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
DVI-D single link can do [email protected], [email protected]

DVI-D dual link can do [email protected], [email protected]

dbuff:

Even though DVI-I, is capable of carrying both digital and analog, it's not recommended mainly for compatibility issues. Some TVs don't have a DVI-I port, and won't be able to accept the cable because of the extra four analog pins. A DVI-D cable is pretty much a guaranteed fit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.