AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ah - the magic of being on the bleeding edge.....

okay, my DVI card shows for my PRO1000HD tomorrow morning. i have an ATI 8500 sitting here on my desk.

i didn't think the freakin' cable is what was going to screw up the process!

the attached JPG shows the conundrum. the top section shows a picture of the 5002 card's DVI female connector (thanks ericbee) as well as the specifics off of the Pioneer European site PDF re: the 503. the bottom shows the DVI female connector (skewed due to perspective oddities) on the ATI 8500.

these two pictures show what a "standard" DVI cable seems to look like to the online retailers of the world:
http://www.startech.com/ProductPhotos/DVIMM6.large.jpg
http://www.a2zcables.com/a2zcables.s.../View/KDV1&2D6

i'm probably going to just buy one and hope for the best, but thus far i can't find any meaningful info on all of this. if anybody out there is educated, please pipe in!

if i can't do my testing this weekend i might not have time to futz with the system until next weekend

thanks,

doody.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I just bought a DVI-D to DVI-D at cablestogo.com to connect a 5002 to a Geforce 2 MX with DVI-D.

You need to check exactly which connector is on the Pro and your video card. Some devices use DVI-I and others use DVI-D. The pictures you linked to show both types.

The cablestogo.com website shows a variety so I'd start there.

Let us know how it goes! I'm looking at the 503CMX as an alternative to the 5002 so I am interested if you can get one to one pixel mapping.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great site, analog8.

this link shows the different DVI connectors they seem to know/care about:

http://www.cablestogo.com/resources/dvi.asp?

the ATI 8500 connector is clearly a standard duallink M/M cable.

the connector on the Pioneer card is way less clear. my guess is the ATI is DVI-I and the Pioneer is DVI-D. the cable arriving tomorrow is a DVI-D cable, so it'll fit in both. we'll see though if it works!

doody.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I think you're right on the mark there, doody. The ATI card does digital and analog DVI, the 5002 only does digital. Get a digital dual-link cable, and you're all set.

FWIW, I ordered my DVI cable from cablewholesale.com yesterday. Doesn't have cablestogo's pretty pictures, but was half as expensive. They also have a staggering array of cables and adapters at frighteningly low prices, so I picked up a truckload of other stuff as well. :)

Alex

·
Registered
132 Posts
The DVI-I connector has extra pins for carrying the traditional analog vga signals for backward compatability. All you need is a DVI-D to DVI-D cable and it will fit in the DVI-I connector of the ATI.

Gabe

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i continue to poke around trying to learn more about this stuff. thought i'd post a few interesting things i found for posterity.

this is an older article about DVI from 05/2000 written by someone at DELL. i found it very educational, especially clarifying single-link -vs- dual-link:
http://www.dell.com/us/en/arm/topics...s_2000-dvi.htm

this site has some nice pictures of connectors:
http://www.foxconn.net/products/dvi.asp

these are the people who seem to be making all the mess out of this "standard":
http://www.ddwg.org/

this link on their site brings you to links to people who deal with DVI connectors and cables:
http://www.ddwg.org/app/search/products/by_category

also, on the DOWNLOAD link to the left, you can get a PDF of the 1.0 spec for DVI, and it includes all the geek stuff you might want (i haven't read it yet).

i still don't know if the cable i'm getting tomorrow will work, but we'll see ;)

doody.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Doody,

I was researching the same subject today and got this nice response from Thomas Steves at www.ramelectronics.net:

"The Radeon 8500DV can exceed the capabilities of a "Single link" cable, but I don't see anything regarding the PDP-503CMX resolution specifications except for XGA. I guess we would have to recommend a Dual link cable, despite not being sure of the 503's capabilities. It certainly would not be a problem using a dual link cable with a single link capable display.

A 3 meter model would be the S4112.5303

"DVI-D male to DVI-D male Dual Link cable assembly, 3 meter long."
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/D...les.html#DVI-D

Other lengths are available. A DVI-I dual link cable would also work as well"

So looks like a dual link DVI-D to DVI-D cable couldn't hurt, even if the 503 only uses the single link pins. But from the image of the 5002 card, it looks like all DVI pins are connected to the board so dual link would be the safest bet. I am looking forward to your experiences with the DVI hookup. Should be spectacular...... Plasman

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
from the foxconn site info and doody's pics, i compiled this:

there are two dvi connection systems:

DVI-I: integrated digital/analog with 24 pins in a 8x3 array and 4 pins in a 2x2 array, used for transmissions that require analog as well as digital (this is shown in the photo of the ATI-8500);

DVI-D: all digital, just the 24 pin 8x3 array, this is shown in the pioneer photo.

while the overall receptacles/plugs are the same size, they will not interchange according to the foxconn info. (it may be possible to plug a less populated DVI-D into a DVI-I socket, but that is a guess.)

thus you need a DVI-I male on one end and DVI-D male on the other for the ATI/Pio connection cable, or a suitable adapter.

The Leeza like the ATI card, had the extra 2x2 array(DVI-I) (From Eric)

since the pio is only socketed for digital, the 2x2 array at the ATI or Leeza end wouldn't need to be connected through.

one extra twist: the pio receptacle photo shows what appear to be two vertical sockets; the foxconn site says nothing about this, so take all of this with the grain of salt.

·
Registered
569 Posts
jlm wrote:
Quote:
while the overall receptacles/plugs are the same size, they will not interchange.
John- I don't want to speak authoritatively on a connector I haven't seen (may the facts never stand in my way :) ), but I believe that DVI-D is a plug-compatible digital-only subset of the DVI-I connector. The ATI card has a DVI-I connector so that you could pull off the analog signal if needed such as with a DB15 VGA adapter. Since you don't need the analog component, no need to use it with digital displays.... PlasMAN

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
plas:

i agree about your stand on the facts: check out the foxconn site, i downloaded the drawing pdf about the connectors and pretty much abstracted it.

of course they could off base for our application

·
Registered
38 Posts
Analog8,

You said: "I just bought a DVI-D to DVI-D at cablestogo.com to connect a 5002 to a Geforce 2 MX with DVI-D."

Since these are the same components I wish to connect when my Fujitsu arrives could you please provide me with the cablestogo part number? It would ease my mind to know I'm getting a cable that will work.

Also, I have an NEC LCD1830 monitor. If I make the DVI-D to Plasma hookup I will have to use the analog hookup to the LCD, I suppose. I don't have my new computer yet either and my current video card out is analog out only and is giving a great picture on the LCD1830. Should I just settle for that or is there a "switcher" or something available that will give me DVI-D on both the LCD and the Plasma?

Thanks for your help.

AJ

·
Registered
744 Posts
doody,

You appear to be proficient on the DVI so here is a question on the panny 50. Attached is a picture from the 3u manual showing the "future" interface. This is obviously not a DVI interface.

Do you know if works as such with an adaptor?

I am considering the 50 panny but would probably switch to the 503 for the DVI and ATI card if the contrast ration was the same.

Final issue -- Panny is supposed to have a much better contrast ratio. In your opinion, how is the 503 in comparison?

Also, does the DVI plug on the ATI card truely support a digital interface? (dumb question probably).

Peter

(a newbie and don't know how to use search)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
compromise:

(A) i can't speak to a direct comparison b/w the panny and pio units. i played with the panny a couple of times, but never in a critical viewing situation with proper setups. the conventional wisdom collected here says the panny has better black levels.

(B) as for that connector, you got me. a quick look through the connector guide on http://www.cablestogo.com didn't reveal anything informative. sorry.

doody.

·
Super Moderator
21,387 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
AJ,

This is what I ordered from cablestogo.com. Note I won't be able to confirm that it works until Thursday pm!

Item #: 26911

Product: 2m DVI-D to DVI-D DUAL LINK CABLE

Quantity: 1

Price: $46.99

There seem to be two schools of thought here on DVI-D and DVI-I matings. I understood that DVI-D would plug into DVI-I but not the other way around, but jlm's post appears to differ on this. It is pure conjecture in my case as I don't have all the pieces yet, but from looking at the pictures DVI-I has blank pins where DVI-D has extra pins, hence they should connect right?

Anyone else have an authoritative opinion?

(just when I've mastered Ultra SCSI, gigabit ethernet, ADAT and SPDIF along comes another cable standard....)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
compromise - those are DVI-D cables M/F. you'll want a M/M cable - probably longer than those ;). i assume those are gender changers.

i received a dual-link DVI-D cable and a single-link DVI-D cable (both M/M) and will be testing tonight.

doody.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
confirmed:

Data-Video on 39th and Fifth in NYC has 2 meter DVI-D to DVI-D cables for $50.00. it worked on the pio DVI input (a DVI-D receptacle) AND the Leeza, a DVI-I output!

look for eric's report for more about the dvi performance, etc.

analog8: try three and four pin twist-lock ac connectors for some more fun;

regarding dvi-d and dvi-i interconnections, I was basically reporting from the foxconn data, which proved to be not applicable in this context.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doody
compromise - those are DVI-D cables M/F. you'll want a M/M cable - probably longer than those ;). i assume those are gender changers.

i received a dual-link DVI-D cable and a single-link DVI-D cable (both M/M) and will be testing tonight.

doody.
doody,

Actually they are M/F but one has a 4 pin outs and the other doesn't. Actually photos of the two pin outs that you are trying to mate to might help.

Peter

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.