AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a 7,5 meters (22 ft) DVI cable to connect the VE to the ProximaDX3, i'm using the supplied 2 mt cable now. Reading various post i acknoweldged that cables longer than 12 ft may cause a signal degadation.

Does anyone has experience about this ?

The cable is pretty expensive and any help would be useful altough it is too late, it should arrive this week.

bye

------------------

dubmaster

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Who did you order the cable from? THere are not supposed to be lengths longer than 5 metres as it will not work.

It MIGHT work as long as the clock is low... (low res)

Inline has a series of cables available but the 25' is 387$ and the 75' is 960$ These cables are not just normal wire. they are very specifically engineered. I would want to try them first.

The only other options are some extenders which simply double the length to 30' ( http://www.gefen.com/products/extend...ter/index.html 399$) And Extron has a box for up to 330' But i won't even mention the price as it is very expensive.

[This message has been edited by Dizzman (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very interesting informations, but they say max lenght is 10 meters without repeaters.

I'll let you know when i'll get the cable.

bye

200th post !

------------------

dubmaster

·
Registered
79 Posts
I tried (and returned) a DVI switchbox that did not have sufficient bandwidth, so I've seen firsthand what your results may be if things don't work right.

When you try out your long cable, the artifacts that you'll be looking for are "sparkles," pixels that should be black but twinkle between black and various colors. A good test pattern is to bring up some black text on a white background.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
that 10 metre length is actually with a low clock rate.

On page 6 the illustration says UP TO 10 metre, however if you look on page 9 it says;

Direct Digital Video Distance Limitations

As with all high speed digital signals, the direct digital video output signals are only good for short distances, usually less than 15 feet.

This applies once you are around 1024 x 768 and higher. And as there are not allot of devices that are lower res...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It works !!!!!!!

It's perfect, no flickering pixels, no banding, no jerkyness.

Just like the 2 meters cable.

After 1 year waiting i can finally move away th HTPC from the projector rack.

bye

------------------

dubmaster

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Hey Dizzman, is Extron going to come out with a switchbox for DVI? or 1 DVI, 1 VGA in to 1 DVI out? If they do I would be interested. I just read that Inline came out with a video switchbox that includes DVI as well as the VGA and component, composite and Svideo

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dubmaster:
It works !!!!!!!
That's for XGA resolution I assume? I'm hoping to use DVI over that same distance or slightly longer, but with SXGA+ resolution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I have seen firsthand a 20m long DVI cable with no visible artifacts or sparkles. OK it was connected to a Plus Piano (800x600 / 848x480) but the picture looked great to me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dubmaster, when you say "it works" is it with the Cable of Extron or the one of Lindy ?

I want to use such cable to connect either a PC with a DVI Video card or my notebook with a VGA connector. Does your cable has Digital and Analog (DVI-I with the 4 RGBS pins) wires ?

Could you give the exact reference of your cable.

Regards

Regis

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From the lindy.com website:

Premium DVI TFT/LCD Flat Panel Display Cable (DVI-M/DVI-M), 7.5m

These cables incorporate a second digital link (Dual Link) which allows resolutions up to 1920 x 1080!

DVI Digital Male to DVI Digital Male

For use with all modern TFT (Thin Film Transistor)/LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) Flat Panel Displays

Cables and adaptors are available from LINDY for the three most common video interfaces used today

EMC shielded - Patent pending RF-BLOK shielded design giving:

Reduced interference from one piece EMI/RFI shield

Increased insulation resistance up to 25%

No soldering requirements as interconnect design needs no 360 degree soldering - eliminating the possibility of human error and/or cracking of the solder that causes grounding intermittence and the use of the most hazardous waste material - soldering flux

Tight fit of internal wires as there is no inner mould

No requirement of ferrite cores as signal loss and degradation are greatly reduced giving enhanced signal sharpness. Without the ferrite cores the cable is less stressed and more flexible

Smaller overall dimensions which allows more room behind the host or peripheral

Increased connector and mating strength - the 4 point reinforcement tabs on the RF-BLOK, attached to the connector, strengthens the pair as one

Article

No RRP

VAT Incl.(£)

41244 26.75

Processing. Please wait...

http://pics.lindy.com/pics.nsf/0CBF0.../DVIM_DVIM.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
My problem is to find an 8m DVI-I cable with analog and digital. I have checked everywhere but it does not seem to exist.

There are many DVI-D (Digital only) or DVI-A (Analog only) cables longer than 5m but none of the DVI-I (Analog and Digital) cables are longer than 5m.

Anybody that will be aware of one will be welcome.

Regards

Regis

·
Registered
13 Posts
My problem is to find an 8m DVI-I cable with analog and digital. I have checked everywhere but it does not seem to exist.

There are many DVI-D (Digital only) or DVI-A (Analog only) cables longer than 5m but none of the DVI-I (Analog and Digital) cables are longer than 5m.

Anybody that will be aware of one will be welcome.

Regards

Regis

·
Registered
133 Posts
9 meters (29.5 feet) with no degradation at 1600x1200 @ 75Hz from Kayye Consulting www.kayye.com . Use a repeater and multiple 9m increments to go further.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sitkom, thanks but the 9m cable you are refering to is a DVI-D (Digital only) cable, not a DVI-I (Digital and Analog) one.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Regis?

Why do you need both? If you need digital, just get the DVI-D. If you need analogue you're probably better off with a high quality 5 BNC.

Regards,

Kam Fung

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.