AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Panasonic PT50-LC13 TV came with a DVI cable. However, I was looking at the connector, and each end seems to be missing a few rows of pins in the middle. What is the reason for this? Is this cable still OK for hooking up a DVI DVD player to the TV, or do I need to buy a new DVI cable with a full set of pins on the connector? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
106 Posts
There are three sections in DVI cable, the dense pin sections may be only half filled. This means that it is a 'single' cable, when all are filled it is a 'dual' cable. Lastly there is a slot straight or crossed key on the far end and it may have several pins around it. If only the straight key is present it is a DVI-D cable and is all digital. The other pins are for DVI-I or DVI-A cable and provide analog signals and you must have this type of connector and socket (usually found on video cards), to use a low cost DVI-VGA adapter, such as the one sold by ATi for the late model radeons, as these work only in the analog domain. For what you have you should only need a DVI-D single, as this is adequate for transmission of all current HDTV modes and your Panny should have a single DVI-D HDCP connection that won't accept analog anyway. So if the cable is intact and working you are good to go.

good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.