AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for my first OTA HD STB. Based on other threads in this forum, I'm thinking seriously about a LST-3100A or a LST-3510A.

No matter what STB I get, I would like to use DVI if the STB offers it, as I've heard this is the best choice. I have found a good price on a Monster DVI400-4M, in terms of the prices I see Monster cables going for. What I would like to know is are there other DVI cables that will do a good job for me and cost a lot less? I don't know anything about DVI cables, so I would like recommendations on cables that would be useful for any STB and work well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Monster is pretty severely overpriced. Good quality S-Video cables can be had for under $10, good quality component cables for under $20, and good quality DVI cables for under $30.

My QVS brand DVI cable cost $29.99 at Microcenter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about types of DVI? I have seen posts about single link, dual link, etc. etc. If I find a(ny) DVI cable, is it going to work, or are there specific things I should be looking for?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally posted by chrome
You can go to this prior topic to help you out regarding DVI cables and such

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, sorry, ONE more question! I looked at the thread, and I am left with one thing: Does any DVI cable handle HDCP (?) [copy protection]? Is the HDCP portion just transmitted over a standard DVI cable and the STB and monitor deal with it internally?

Thanks again!

Quote:
You can go to this prior topic to help you out regarding DVI cables and such

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mclark
I have found a good price on a Monster DVI400-4M, in terms of the prices I see Monster cables going for. What I would like to know is are there other DVI cables that will do a good job for me and cost a lot less?
As a professional in the TV/Film post-production industry, I'm a strong believer in using high quality cables for audio, video and word clock applications. That being said, I recently bought a 2 meter single-link DVI cable on eBay for one dollar, plus $5.00 shipping. It's no monster cable, but it's solidly constructed, has ferrite beads on each end for RFI rejection and best of all, it works flawlessly.

For DVI, I can't see spending $99 on a monster cable!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For an HDTV monitor, do I really care if the DVI cable is dual link or single link? Will it really make a difference?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info...

I also looked at this cable, but they charge almost $10.00 for shipping, and I found the StarTech cable I mentioned at Amazon for $21.99 which makes the price almost identical. Adding another item at Amazon, there is no shipping charge. I was just a little concerned about paying almost as much in shipping as for the cable itself at bonuscable. However, if this cable is the way to go, maybe I should just not worry about it any pay the shipping.

Thanks again! I appreciate all responses I am getting. It's helping a lot!

Quote:
I got this for 12.99
http://www.bonuscable.com/product_in...oducts_id=1687

·
Registered
163 Posts
i looked at both and they seem fine

i am not an expert at all just a newbie myself

i trust on what i read here 9 out of 10 times these guys who post here regularly know what they are talking about and based on that i went and got the cables from cableclub

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.