AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased a hughes high definition direct tv receiver. the CC guy said i needed a dvi cable. so he picked out a monster cable one for about 100 bucks. when i opened the hughes box there is one in there already. should i return the monster cable one or keep it? you think that the one that came with the reciever is high quality?

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
By all means RETURN IT. With digital cables, either the signal gets from one end to the other or it doesn't. There is no degradation of signal because the signal is just a bunch of 1's and 0's.

You will see absolutely no difference using the DVI cable from Monster Cable over the DVI cable that came with the STB (other than the fact that you will have $100 more in your pocket).

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
IMO cables do make a difference even digital cables. Easiest way is to try both.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
Thats a pretty lousy salesman if he didn't know the Hughes came with a cable. :)

Anyway, the key point to all this is IF the 1's and 0's get there. Cables, though I wouldn't spend the extra $$$ on Monster, can make a difference. If you hook up the included cables and have no signal problems (video breakup, etc.), then return the Monsters. If, however, you have problems that might be related to the cables, try the Monsters and see if they make a difference. Chances are they won't, but you won't know until you try.

Generally, there should be no difference in PQ with different, more expensive cables as long as the full signal (all the 1's and 0's) gets to the TV. Even if the Monsters do make a difference, there may be cheaper cables out there that would work just as well. Many folks buy 'better' cables because of better connectors, etc. Over time, connections can get dirty, loose, etc., so better cables might be less of a problem over that time span.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.