AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the maximum cable run for DVI is? My initial impression is that it can't be run for long distances, say from an equipment room to an overhead projector. I'm wiring my HT in a week, and if I can do a long DVI run, it'd be better to do it now rather than later.

Thanks,

Seth

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
The technical limit for non-optical is 5 meters...but many people have reported problems at that length, so a safer bet is 3 meters (about 15')...this length seems to make the pixel abberations seen with longer runs go away.

You can use a DVI repeater to extend the length, but each repeater costs about $400-500, and some repeaters (e.g., the Inline) apparently can't handle the 1600x1200 max resolution. Caveat emptor

Sample repeater: http://store.kayye.com/kayye/dvirepeater.html

You can also go with optical DVI (i.e., uses fiber as the transport), but it's pretty pricey, hard to find and typically comes in very long runs (e.g., 100 meter cable is about $1,600 last press release I saw).

You best bet (if you can do it) is to run a conduit from your equipment room to your projector--it's cable future proof.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by amillians
The technical limit for non-optical is 5 meters...but many people have reported problems at that length, so a safer bet is 3 meters (about 15')...this length seems to make the pixel abberations seen with longer runs go away.

You can use a DVI repeater to extend the length, but each repeater costs about $400-500, and some repeaters (e.g., the Inline) apparently can't handle the 1600x1200 max resolution. Caveat emptor

Sample repeater: http://store.kayye.com/kayye/dvirepeater.html

You can also go with optical DVI (i.e., uses fiber as the transport), but it's pretty pricey, hard to find and typically comes in very long runs (e.g., 100 meter cable is about $1,600 last press release I saw).

You best bet (if you can do it) is to run a conduit from your equipment room to your projector--it's cable future proof.
Good idea, this is what I'll do.

Seth

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.