AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, since buying a Samsung SIR-TS160 with DVI output, (and getting hooked on HD HDNet, HBO and Shotime), I'm iching to be able to record from this unit.

I bought an HTPC as well, with HiPIX and 370G of harddrive space, so I'd much prefer to use this as a recording device rather than buy a HDVCR.

So......

Q: Does anyone know of a HD capture card that accepts DVI input that I could use as the basis for a software D-VCR?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
DVI is uncompressed, so the bitrate is *way* beyond what any capture card is capable of, at least in the consumer space. Besides, even if you could capture the DVI bitstream straight to disk, you'd eat up your 370GB of diskspace in a little over 30 minutes (1080i via DVI requires roughly 625GB/hour, without blanking overhead)...as such, you'd want a realtime HD-capable MPEG2 encoder to compress the DVI bitstream into MPEG2, but they are expensive (say $50K+) and not too "normal PC" friendly that I am aware of (could be wrong on this count).

In other words, this why the MPAA loves DVI--it's basically impossible (or cost prohibitive, at the very least) to record, even if the HDCP scheme is compromised.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
You simply record via firewire either from the samsung or any other decoder. You can play back any tape from a d-vhs deck connected via firewire to the samsung 165, and use the 165's dvi output to watch your recorded HDTV via DVI.

I have been doing this since Friday. Works great and I feel the dvi image is far superior to that from component outputs, at least with my setup.

bb

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
bb,

The samsung T160 does not have firewire. (since it has DirectTV) The original post was about recording DirectTV HDTV. One cannot do it with any samsung. The only way to record it is via the 169time system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Looks pretty dismal right now, then. So if understand this correctly, I'd need a DVI adapter card with MPEG-2 encoding (similar circuit to what theD-VHS decks have), PC driver and application software to manage the capture, recording and playback of programs, and (in a perfect world) a DVI circuit that would tell the Samsung's HDCP circuit "I'm just a TV...send your outout" :)

That about right? I guess the sad part iis that all of this exists today somewhere else, other devices, etc.

So to sum up my current options

1) $2500 169time (if I can find an old DTC-100 unit somewhere and DirecTV still works with it)

2) $899 D-VHS VCR (assuming DirecTV DVI output on the Samsung is not shut off by DirecTV via HDCP...anyone know for sure if you can record HDNet, for example?)

3) Go into the HW business

4) Lobby DirecTV to license the technology to make a true PC-based DirecTV receiver adapter ccrd + PVR possible (yeah right).

If I can get an "amen" on #2, I guess that'll be the route I'll have to take....anyone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leszek1
bb,

The samsung T160 does not have firewire. (since it has DirectTV) The original post was about recording DirectTV HDTV. One cannot do it with any samsung. The only way to record it is via the 169time system.
I see that now. I had thought he was talking about the 165.

bb

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by damoncooper

2) $899 D-VHS VCR (assuming DirecTV DVI output on the Samsung is not shut off by DirecTV via HDCP...anyone know for sure if you can record HDNet, for example?)

I don't believe there are any D-VHS VCRs that have a DVI input. Some of them have component in (and an MPEG2 encoder that converts the analog component signal to MPEG2) in addition to Firewire, so you could record the component signal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.