AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
The brand of the DVI card will be Panasonic. They are the only company making a DVI card for the 6UY. You can get it from any company that is regularly talked about on this forum.

Thanks,

Bob Doseck

bob @plasmaconcepts.com

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob. And I just spoke to someone in your shop (I forgot his name), but he was knowledgeable and helpful. Also, your price for a DVI card is a good one. I'll be calling to get one in a few months.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bob:

I've had a heck of a time getting my 6UY w/DVI card to play anything but snow from my Samsung 931/DVI out...? Any ideas? Progressive scan, off. All resolutions show snow. DVI is firmly inserted...can't figure this out?!

Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
visualapex.com

·
Registered
170 Posts
hey bob I see the cards are backordered though, how long if I ordered two now?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Tivoboy,

These cards have alway been $200, you may have been thinking of some of the other cards.

SPR,

The DVI cards should be back in stock in the next week or two. Please email me with any questions.

Thanks,

Bob Doseck

Plasma Concepts
[email protected]

·
Registered
74 Posts
 www.plasma.com shipped mine out last week, just got it Friday. Don't know if they have any more in stock, but I paid 200 for it from them. If you do order from them beware of one thing. When I ordered the card it was backorderd so I've been waiting for 2 weeks to get it. They charged my card as soon as I placed the order. Not exactly what I like to see from an internet store when merchandise is backordered. But on the upside, they always pick right up when I call and immediately refund my CC until the item ships. Should be an automatic process I feel, but that isn't how they do it.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
>>>nother vendor

Had them for 179 when the 6uy first came out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I recently received the DVI card for the 6UY care of Plasma Concepts and, after installation, connected it to a Directv Zenith 520 HDsat receiver. After reviewing the settings etc. and making some corrections to color etc. I noticed that there is a whole lot of noise on all of the HD channels being broadcast from Directv. Prior to installing the DVI card I had the 520 connected via component being switched via the B&K 307 - no noise, no problems. I also notices that the picture on regular broadcasts is much more pixelated and blurry with this new improved connection. Any ideas as to what might be the problem (DVI cable used came with DVI card).

·
Registered
170 Posts
well I don't see so only with the other devices I guess. thanks joe for the hdcp compliance issue not being an issue at all with the panny dvi blade! I am going to buy it in a couple of mins after I find out who has it in stock.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Right now the cards are coming in intermittantly. If you do not get a order in somewhere you will wait longer. My suggestion is to go to one or any of the vendors and order, so your stock is secure when they do come in.

My 02 cents..good luck..

lis;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Joe - Have problems with the DVI in the Panny 6UY (slot 1) with both the Zenith 520 and the Samsung T160 HD Directv receivers. Read the issues log link listed and agree with those issues found but there does not appear to be any resolution. Have not seen any issues listed with the panny consumer model "on board" DVI - although a number of reviewers indicate that the picture improvement over component is somewhere between negligible and awesome. Anyone tried the RGB to the 6UY from either of these HD receivers? Manuals indicate that this is supported for both receivers.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
The negligible improvement comment may be due to the way Panasonic implemented DVI on the consumer model vs the commercial model. I have a feeling that the consumer model may be allowing some parameter adjustments that it shouldn't, but I don't know for sure.

What I do know is that some RPTV maufacturers that added a DVI input actually turned the digital input into an analog signal to enable their processors to act on the signal. Kind of defeats the purpose and the quality improvements that DVI brings to the table, now doesn't it?

As for the STB DVI issues:

#1 Is there a function or multiple functions in the menu option of the STBs listed that have to be enabled in order to output a DVI signal?

#2 Just for the hell of it, try the DVI card in Slot 2.

#3 Try another DVI cable or cable length.

#4 Here's another possible explanation for the DVI compatibility issues and might be what's causing the signal problem:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...32#post2771632

I hope you and others can get this resolved and enjoy your purchase to its fullest.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Murphy Jr
The negligible improvement comment may be due to the way Panasonic implemented DVI on the consumer model vs the commercial model. I have a feeling that the consumer model may be allowing some parameter adjustments that it shouldn't, but I don't know for sure.
Joe,

What you're hinting at here is almost terrifying. After all, this is about Panasonic, the company which has been driving the quality thrust in Plasma displays for the last few years. Have they compromised basic engineering logic? Did the marketing guys just take over the design offices?

If so, it looks like the consumer PA20 displays only offer DVI hookup to please Joe six-pack who has HDCP compliant DVI input on his purchasing checklist, but who doesn't know a clean picture from a horse's a$$. The whole point of DVI (Please tell me if I've missed something!) is to provide fully digital pixel to pixel mapped lossless unprocessed signals to the display. Processing them in any other way than simple transmission to the cells is defeating the very purpose of DVI.

First, I hope you're wrong.

Second, if you are right, I hope it is only the Consumer panels which do this (sorry PA20 buyers) and not the Commercial units.

Third, in the worst case where it is BOTH the Consumer and the Commercial displays which unnecessarily mess with the input signals, I hope that Other Brands (Toshiba maybe?) are buying the latest Panasonic Glass in OEM form, and adding "decent, image-respecting electronics" to show more optimally what this new higher contrast Glass technology has actually contributed to current market offerings. Is it all glitz and impressive numbers & measurements, or does it translate into superlative image quality?

:confused:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.