AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up the 34XBR800 and I"m excited about it. It'll show up tomorrow afternoon. It'll probably be a while but I want to hook up my PC to the set at some point. I already have a DVI card from the PC (Matrox G550 dual out), and currently the DVI is used for the LCD panel. I'm not sure if I can just plug in the DVI interface to the TV?

I don't think it'll be that easy and I definitely don't want to damage the TV. So any tips on getting the refresh rate, resolution for the XBR would be much appreciated,

I currently have Sony 850D DVD Changer so I'm missing a progressive player for the new TV. If this DVI works, then I won't have to worry about getting a new P-Player.

Simon

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htsource
I just picked up the 34XBR800 and I"m excited about it. It'll show up tomorrow afternoon. It'll probably be a while but I want to hook up my PC to the set at some point. I already have a DVI card from the PC (Matrox G550 dual out), and currently the DVI is used for the LCD panel. I'm not sure if I can just plug in the DVI interface to the TV?
"Picked up"? Too heavy for me :)

Page 13 of the manual (top item) says it is EIA-861 compliant and not intended for use with PCs.

Since I've not reserached it further (don't plan to use it with my PCs), that's all I know about it.

Phil

·
Registered
186 Posts
You'll probably find that a 16:9 480p (853x480 or 852x480 at 60 Hz) image will look best, although even then it'll be fuzzy since the 34XBR800 doesn't actually have the dot pitch for that resolution. A 4:3 480p (640x480 at 60 Hz) image will give you a little better resolution, but only if you stretch the image, which will make the computer display look weird.

You should get PowerStrip for two reasons:
  1. The Matrox cpl display applet probably won't let you select a 16:9 480p mode.
  2. You'll probably need to adjust the timings to center and resize the image.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've read about people in the HTPC forum who damaged their TVs using HTPCs. I think they had RPTVs, but they screwed up one of the inputs permanently.

Why is DVI different for PC monitors and televisions?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pocatello
Why is DVI different for PC monitors and televisions?
The DVI is the same, but the TV can't handle all the resolutions that a PC is capable of providing. Plus, for any resolution, there's some "fudge room". The timings can be slightly adjusted to change the position/size of the image on the screen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.