AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. Is it bad to use DVI adaptors on both ends?

Here's the situation:

* I'm purchasing a PC with a DVI-D video card

* I have an Optoma H31 projector with DVI-I.

* Later this year I'll upgrade to a Mitsubishi HD-1000U with HDMI

I'd like to run HDMI cable because it seems like this standard is the future trend and I don't want to crawl around in my ceiling more than one more time. If I used an adaptor on the computer end to convert to HDMI and an adaptor on the projector end (until I purchase the 1000U) will this work?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Technically, it should work because the pins on the HDMI connector can all mapped to corresponding pins on the DVI connector. Two things to note if using a DVI cable with adapter dongles for HDMI-to-HDMI connections:

- In general, using a dongle will degrade the signal as you lose something with each mechanical connection, so you won't be able to run as far of a cable run if using many dongles.

- There is no compliance spec or enforcement on DVI connectors and cables, so you may get a wider variability of cable quality when using DVI cables. All HDMI cables are required to undergo compliance testing and be meet the HDMI spec, and the HDMI Licensing LLC is taking an active role in enforcing these compliance requirements in products including cables & connectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.