AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that if a projector specifies a DVI-D input that it is HDCP capable? I always thought that DVI-D was the connector type, since there are multiple pin configurations that utilize DVI.

Also, wrt HDCP, is HDCP verification something that is going to be carried in the source material (e.g., a HD DVD movie track)? I would think that it would have to be, otherwise, someone could just build a DVD player or HD decoder that uses non-HDCP compliant DVI connections.

Thanks all

·
Registered
501 Posts
No, I don't think so.

DVI is the input device. HDCP would be an onboard chip set that can decode the CP stream from a digital source.

Question is: Would there be a future upgrade available for those projectors that have DVI input but not HDCP compatable (i.e. Panny LU300 and Epson TW100/TW100H)?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Question is: Would there be a future upgrade available for those projectors that have DVI input but not HDCP compatable (i.e. Panny LU300 and Epson TW100/TW100H)?
I would be very surpirised if any of the brands provide an upgrade; rather, I bet they would come up with a new model.

Currently, the selection of HDCP-savvy projectors are quite limited, including the NEC HT1000, Sony HS10, and the new Mitsubishi 1208.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you see the Mitsu 1208? I just checked there web site and could not find it.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I read Mitsu's Japanese web site on the 1208. Don't know if they have an US page up for the model yet.

·
Registered
409 Posts
DVI-D does not imply HDCP capability. In fact, if it a projector doesn't explicitly state it supports HDCP then assume it doesn't.

It is very unlikely a projector without HDCP will ever be upgradeable to support it.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
q3131a and bk are correct. Just because a projector has a DVI-D input port does not guarantee that it also supports HDCP. Caveat emptor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.