AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to purchase a convertor for multiple BNC connections to a DVI-D?

I'm thinking I'll need 2, one at each end of my run. Maybe it would be better to purchase a DVI-D cable and fish it through my wall? I've been reading that 9' is about as long as they recommend for this cable. If that's true then what is everyone going to do in their HTs to get around this? I think I need about 25'. I'm hoping running the signal through a coax cable will work for longer runs.

I'm completing my dedicated HT, planning on purchasing a Sony HS10 pj which uses a DVI-D cable but of coarse I ran an S-Video cable, VGA, and 6 coax cables (for component video and future upgrades) and now my wall is finished and I'm trying to figure out how I'll get the DVI-D connection to the Sony and I'm also worried about playing video games on my computer on the HS-10.

Although, from what I've read it appears as though I can buy a cable for the Sony multi connector to VGA but the resolution is limited to something like 1024x? That's probably just fine for now since I'm only planning on playing video games and by the time I'm ready to get into a HTPC hopefully the people here will have figured out the best way for me to get connected.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yes, but in a 2 step process. First you would need a dvi-d -> 15 pin converter. They do make these. Then a 15 pin -> RGBHV. I understand what you are trying to do but you are defeating the advantage of dvi-d. You will be taking the signal from digital to analog to digital again. Not to mention all the loss you may get from multiple connections. There are companies that make good quality longer dvi-d cables. I would start there first. InLine makes a longer dvi cable that is supposed to have a high enough bandwidth for HDTV. Check there site first. How long is the run?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by MovingTarget
I think I need about 25'.
Sounds like I would be better off fishing a longer cable through my wall. I knew I should have taken the time to run some conduit (sp?) just for this reason :mad:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.