AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of DVI cables work for driving a DLP projector with DVI-D in and an NVIDIA Geforce4 FX 5200 with DVI-D out? Do both single and dual link DVI cables work, and what is the longest cable length anyone has been able to get to work? -- And what is the typical max length?

--Brandon

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
For video/HD all you need is single link. I used a 75' cable from Extron at the CEDIA show with absolutely no problems.

DM

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It will work, but you don't need it (edit. if your PJ has a dual link connector).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any idea on how to check if the pj supports dual link? If the cable connects to the pj, does that mean the pj is dual link?

(edit) My problem is I have a 5m bafo dual link dvi-d -> dvi-d cable but it doesn't work -- However, pin24 on the cable (TMDS sync - clock) does not conduct between both ends of the cable. This is the second cable I have received (rma'd the first one to new egg) and they both had the same problem. I'm thinking it's a bad batch of cables but want to check here first.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Dual link is for higher resolutions and refresh rates. If you are gaming, that might be necessary. If the cable plugs in, that just means that the PJ can accept the cable, not that it is needed. For HT, single link is all that is needed.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
No. The hardware supports dual link if it displays the resolutions / refresh rates that dual link requires. I take it that you are doing more than video / hd?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1024x576 resolution display (16:9 on a 1024x768 pj). The only thing I get is a black flash (default is the blue sharp screen) randomly ever 5-15 seconds. It does not matter if it is the bios boot screen, console mode (booting into Linux) or windows, or x windows (linux) none of them display anything but the black flash from time to time.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Another thing I found out the hard way. If your PJ doesn't have EDID data present (the PnP stuff, etc...) you won't get an output. The video card won't even allow one to be present. Get a nice short cable, move your HTPC temporarily to the site and try that way. With that res,single link is all that's necessary.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What kind of projector are you using bbeattie? I am going to be getting a InFocus 7200 (now that the 7205s are out) and was just about to order and install the same BAFO cable in my ceiling before my drywall is installed. Does anyone know if the Infocus 7200 suports DVI-D? I plan on doing gaming as well as theatre. Let me know what you find out about the cable.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Oversteer, yes the 7200 supports dvi-d (if you go on the projectors over 5K forum you can get more info)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bbeattie
Any idea on how to check if the pj supports dual link? If the cable connects to the pj, does that mean the pj is dual link?

(edit) My problem is I have a 5m bafo dual link dvi-d -> dvi-d cable but it doesn't work -- However, pin24 on the cable (TMDS sync - clock) does not conduct between both ends of the cable. This is the second cable I have received (rma'd the first one to new egg) and they both had the same problem. I'm thinking it's a bad batch of cables but want to check here first.
The pin that is open on your cables is definitely your problem. Nothing will work over DVI-D without the TMDS clock carried on pins 23 and 24.

Many cables that use the full DVI-I connector with all the DVD-D pins present don't actually have conductors to carry the dual-link DVI-D. I think any device that actually requires dual-link will state so very clearly because it is relatively rare.

- Mike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Big supprise, someone else has recently posted their cable from newegg is bad. I posted my reponse and added a bit of a write up on how newegg will not track RMA's or failed products when they get a full bad batch as they appeared to have. Newegg didn't accept my posting (I wasn't too aggresive, mostly stated it's Bafo's fault) But now someone else reported their cable worked fine. .. I'd strongly recommend not buying bafo. I RMA'd my second newegg cable and bought another from http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/10v2-05305.htm

It was overall about $4 more (more on shipping and $2 for the cable) It's not bafo, but to me that is good news.

--Brandon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.