AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do DVI-out DVD players have signigicantly better picture than component progressive scan players when hooked up to an EDTV plasma on the DVI input as opposed to the component one, all else being equal?? I guess what I'm asking is if an all DVI path has better quality than a component one. For example, I have a Panny 6UY EDTV plasma and a Panny CP72 DVD player... would upgrading to DVI DVD player make any difference?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good question, I too would like to know the answer to that question. Is going to DVI out into the DVI input on a tv a better pictuer..?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Theoretically, but in practice it is very difficult to see a difference. Not worth upgrading in my opinion at this time, wait until your old player fails which according to owner reports the CP72 often gets a motor failure after a year or so of operation.

·
Registered
418 Posts
However, if a dvi-out dvd player does a better job of getting the signal in the tv's native resolution, as opposed to the tv doing the upscaling, then the dvi-out dvd player may be better.

Regards,

PolkThug

·
Registered
254 Posts
evidently it has something to do more with this digital 1 to 1 ratio pixel something or other. it's some fancy technical term and supposedly if your tv has this the dvi dvd players show a major improvement. i think it's for hd digital tv's and doesnt work so good on say projectors etc.. it's seems really confusing and i've been on the fence about this. i mean the 3510 is like $400 some bucks!

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
There's more to it than just being DVI.

My personal experience with a DVI DVD player was that the picture was inferior to a much older DVD player.

Perhaps I had a bad unit, maybe the manufacturer is learning at my expense, who knows. In any event, what you need to do is see if you can borrow one similar to what you want to purchase and see how it works for you.

·
23,030 Posts
As far as the actual video is concerned it depends on the deinterlacer for progressive and

deinterlacer/scaler for DVI output (720P,10801). After that it all depends on what your

display does with the signal. Progressive to a digital display means ADC at the display.

DVI to an analog display means DAC at the display. The extra conversions are what you

are trying to avoid. And even with or without the conversions. so much depends on the

quality of the hardware/software on either end of the connection. DVI is not a "silver bullet" to better PQ,

there's other factors to consider.

larry

·
Registered
864 Posts
Guys:

Don't have to worry about upscaling. Flavius has a Panny 6UY commerical EDTV plasma monitor, which only has 852 x 480 native resolution. His plasma doesn't have a built-in DVI. DVI-D with HDCP is an add-on board costing a hefty $280 - more than a DVI player itself. You have that to consider. Also Flavius' current DVD player CP72 has a PQ of a RP82 - the best 480p via component under $1000.

Flavius:

My take on DVI is if your video display is a fixed digital, such as your plasma, DVI will be ideal if DVD player's DVI output is one-to-one pixel match. Having said that, just like PooperScooper have pointed out - it is so much depends on the quality of the hardware and software on either end of the connection. Since right now, the choice of DVI players are so scarce, my advice is to wait until middle of this year, when more DVI or HDMI DVD players have come out in the market before you do the comparison shopping.

P.S. Flavius: When and where did you get your 6UY plasma? Is it 42"? Is it still made in Japan? I heard Panasonic is moving the plasma factory to China so I am wondering if I should get it sooner.

·
Banned
962 Posts
First of all, are you happy with the picture through component on your current DVD player? If so, dont mess with DVI. I have heard from several people that they could not tell any difference. Furthermore, DVI seems to create problems with resolution matches and other fun surprises. If I were you, I would wait on DVI, especially since your plasma is not true HD.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Paid under 200 dollars for my dvi blade IMO it was well worth the price to go from an already great component picture to a slightly better dvi connection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.