AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Bravo D1 DVI dvd player with a Panasonic PTL500U projector. I have never been very fond of the D1 player, but whenever I've checked on and off there isn't much competition...Is that still the case? I've been out of the loop for about 6 months. Have there been any great DVI dvd players that have come out with noticably better video or audio output, or should I just sit on the D1 until Hi Def DVD formats start being released?

·
Registered
15,828 Posts
Look for threads on the Oppo upscaling player with DVI. Going up a large notch in build quality and price, there's the Denon 3910. There are also many players with HDMI outputs (they will work for you using an HDMI-DVI cable or adapter), such as the Panasonic S77 or S97, or the Pioneer 59ai.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
How about the Denon 5910 for $3500 with hdmi to dvi adapter?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I am using a Zenith DVB318 connected by DVI to my PT-L500U. Although I have been happy with the combination, if I was purchasing today, I would buy the Oppo DV971H for that purpose.

Chris

·
Registered
15,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
anything new on the horizon a few months later?
The Denon 1920 was recently released, and it is getting excellent reviews (much better than the 1910 it replaced). It seems at least as good as the Panasonic S77 or S97 and the Oppo, and has the advantage of being a true universal player.

·
Registered
275 Posts
How about the new Neuneo HVD-2085 player. It has most of the bugs worked out since the original player, and also has the ability to upconvert to 1080p via component, although DVI requires a firmware upgrade. The Panny S77 scored slightly higher in PQ, as well as having much better audio, but might display macroblocking.

·
Registered
15,715 Posts
Zenith 318 over DVI with latest firmware is probably as good as anything you're going to see in that

·
Registered
15,828 Posts
Q, does the Zenith firmware correct some of its deficiencies? I remember when it first came out, the word was that it was the player to get for upscaling over component, but over DVI, it was great for 1080i output but only mediocre for 720p output. Has that changed?

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
Q, does the Zenith firmware correct some of its deficiencies? I remember when it first came out, the word was that it was the player to get for upscaling over component, but over DVI, it was great for 1080i output but only mediocre for 720p output. Has that changed?
I believe the DVB318 with newer firmware has a better picture over DVI than the DVB318 with older firmware over component. I have tried both. Macroblocking is possibly worse with this player than most other FLI23xx players however, although I have never owned any other FLI23xx player.

Chris

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP
I believe the DVB318 with newer firmware has a better picture over DVI than the DVB318 with older firmware over component. I have tried both. Macroblocking is possibly worse with this player than most other FLI23xx players however, although I have never owned any other FLI23xx players.

Chris

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Quote:
Do you lose anything with the DVI to HDMI convertor? My projector only has DVI and not HDMI?
Simple answer is no...they are carry the same digital video signal. Don't think of it as a convertor...it doesn't convert the signal...it's an adapter. DVI/HDMI just have different end plugs.

For the member asking about MB....the search engine will give you a ton of info on MB.

Ron

·
Registered
15,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umenon
Can someone help me understand ? Whats Macroblocking and does it show up over DVI connection ? Does it show up for ordinary legit DVDs ?
MB is a potential problem with all players using the latest Faroudja deinterlacer. It can be seen using DVI, HDMI, or component connections. Fortunately, it only shows up with certain displays.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Do you lose anything with the DVI to HDMI convertor? My projector only has DVI and not HDMI?
The simple answer is--it depends. DVI is 8 bit. HDMI can carry 8, 10, or 12 bits. You won't be able to use the full 10 or 12 bits if present. Then again, if your PJ has only DVI input, it is only 8 bit anyway. Only the latest digital PJs are 10 bit (CRTs being analog can do any number of bits once converted to analog). BTW, DVDs are only 8 bit, so with current DVDs, you are not loosing anything.

Dave

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Dave: Good detailed answer. I took it in the context of someone buying an inexpensive dvd player combining it with a DVI input for the FP. But, you are correct on all accounts...things may change in the future.

Ron

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.