AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading for about a Month now.

I have read everything on the Bravo D1 and the Denon 1600.

I have Rear Projection RPTV. A 65" Sony 65wv600 with one DVI port.

BRAVO PROs- less converstions means a better picture.

BRAVO CONs- since my TV is not LCD based, I do not benifit as much.

DENON PROs- proven perfect picture. If I use Monster cables, one can say I loose much in the conversions to the TV.

DENON CONs- my TV will take native mode 480p and not convert to 1080i.

DVI PROs-

With the Movie Industry saying DVD players can ONLY outout 1080i through a DVI port, one must think that are afraid of this high quality technology and that it is better. Other wise they would alow 1080i out the componet vide.

DVI CONs- Using a DVD DVI connection with take up the one port that could someday be used for a true HDTV connections such as the new Dishnetwork or Direct TV boxes.

The RIP Off- If sounds like a RPTV wont benifit from a DVI based DVD player and only LCD based TV with a pure digital connection will benetif.

QUESTION:

If I have a RPTV Sony 65wv600 which do I buy? Denon 1600 or Bravo.

I need to decide very soon.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Get the Denon 1600, but hurry because they are going fast. All of the resellers with a decent price are sold out so the rest are marking them up!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Huh? You don't necessarily need an LCD based projector or tv to enjoy the benefits of the Bravo. As long as your tv will take 1080i, you'll enjoy the benefits of the dvi connection, including no chroma delay, no frequency rolloff, and great scaling. Bugs in the player are another issue.

You wouldn't want 1080i upsampling via component anyways, as you lose the benefit of the digital connection. It's like using an analouge vs dvi lcd computer monitor. Same technology but a much different picture.

As far as what you buy, you have to decide where your priority lies. Each has it's own strengths, with the denon having superior deinterlacing, but at the expense of no dvi output. They really are two completely different machines. You can't go wrong with a proven model like the 1600, as it has a good mpeg decoder and DCDI deinterlacing. There's not really much else in the price range even worth looking at, unless your concern lies with support for other audio formats or if you prefer a different deinterlacing solution like the SIL chipsets.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottChez
...only LCD based TV with a pure digital connection will benetif.
The only sets currently available that are purely digital are the DLP units. A DVD player with DVI out will look best with this type of unit, but it will look very good with just about any other display when hooked to a DVI input.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I routinely watch DVDs via an analog connection at 1080i and can confirm that it is superior to 848x480p or 1440x480p. You do not need a DVI connection to get the benefits of 1080i although with a fixed panel display, I have no doubt it is superior. For a CRT-based display, the advantages are more dubious. I have no idea where you guys are getting your info.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading the DVD shoot out article on the Bravo D1 in relation to RPTVs and all the issues with Bravo you have to wonder.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Folks:

Please read the review on the Bravo D1 in this month's Widescreen Review. It has a very cogent discussion of DVI and its benefits for different types of displays.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I have a Samsung DVD-HD931 hooked up via DVI to a Samsung HLN-617W DLP monitor. The 931 allows the user to specify the output mode; as the HLN series uses a fixed 720p display, I set the 931 to match.

The picture on a well-mastered DVD is phenomenal. Image quality is better than any I have seen from a DVD player, regardless of price. For me, the DVI connection from the DVD player is no rip-off, but a welcome advance.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To benifit from DVI you have to have a LCD based or plasma TV.

All those with RPTVs are getting ripped off. A good progresive scan will look better on RPTVs as the digital to analog conversion is still there.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Why do you think that a DLP RPTV, DLP FP, D-ila would not benefit from DVI?

Why do you think plasma TVs would benefit from DVI?

Why do you think that a 1080i resolution is only available via DVI?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I disagree that it is not better on certain RPTVs. My Hitachi scales 480P to 540P so if I can get a player to do this before it hits my TV, it can be done with less conversion steps.

Plus how good a scalar is included with my TV, it is very possible that a better one can be imbedded in the DVD player and then transmitted via DVI to my set for direct display. I just picked up the Samsung and it is much better than my Denon 3800.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.