AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Using Asus AGP-V7100 GeForce2 MX connecting to a Viewsonic VPD-150 (digital) and a Samsung 151S (analog) LCD monitors, and launched the DScaler 3.09 beta, processing cable signal from on board (Upmost UPT 201) tuner, I saw interference-free picture on the digital LCD. OTOH, the interference was clearly visible on the analog display.

Beware that I am NOT talking about the vertical strips interference that many had reported here. This UPT 201 uses bt878a and shows some vertical strips interference ONLY on channels between 80 and 90 (Cable service in HsinChu, Taiwan. However, the NTSC standard is the same as the US.) Because the strips were not seen when comparing and I was wowed by the results, I did not switch to channels 80-90 to look for it.

Does any one know the DVI also eliminates this vertical strips?

Sloted in the Radeon LE DDR 32MB, no DVI available but the RF interference on the analog LCD shows only when you look for it. ATI did a good job here.

Lastly, a cable signal through a 10-year old Panasonic VCR tuner was fed into the UPT 201 composite-in and compared with the onboard tuner. The picture from onboard tuner is a winner in both picture sharpness and horizontal-noise-free. The ground loop design must be good on this Upmost UPT 201.

Does any one know current VCR tuner technology beats onboard tuner? Please shed your lights.

Thank you.

Dan

* My first post!!! Though I had been with AVS Forum for more than 4 months.

* I love people here and knowledge/experiences they bring in. Can live without now.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Dan: welcome to the forum. That's a great first post!

I'm guessing that the D/A conversion inherent in VGA, etc., throws off a lot of RFI for the capture card. Maybe DVI doesn't? I know that a lot of people try to remove the filters on these video cards...

How would you describe the resulting quality? Still noisy?

Re the outboard tuner, you might try a more recent make. I think the tuners on most of these VCRs, TiVos, etc., are very similar to the ones used on the capture cards.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dschmelzer,

I am thinking the opposite that its the cable/tuner that introduces the noise, but I am no expert. Any one knows?

Note the tested Asus VGA card has both DVI and VGA connectors and only on VGA display I can see the interference. Why the nearest DVI circuitry not affected by VGA but the farther tv-tuner card is?

Filters on this Asus board were intact, i.e. not removed.

I was using Radeon LE + VT540K + 100" picture and sit 14 ft away and did not notice the interference before. (DScaler is such an achievement BTW). This noise only came to my attention when I tried to setup a dual displays using the Asus GeForce2 MX dual head with a digital and an analog LCDs.

How bad is it? Well, the Radeon LE has good RFI design and not affecting viewing pleasure on both 15" and 100". However, the Asus card is not acceptable outputing to 15" analog, and I did not care to test the 100". Interestingly, on this very same Asus board, the DVI + Viewsonic VPD150 has the best, interference-free picture.

I will choose DVI projector/LCD/display devices next time for sure.:)

dan

·
Registered
803 Posts
This is weird, i also use both DVI to the DLP and VGA to the analog monitor.

The interferences are identical (if present).

Are you sure your card is properly shielded ?

bye

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I've reported this to the DScaler developers, who may have something to say on the subject. You're one of the first people I've heard of who say they prefer the tuner on the card versus a good tuner in a standalone box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.