Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I thought I had my theater all figured out:) Nope!

Video side is a NEC HT-1000/Greyhawk 120"

I have preordered a Sony HD300 to receive HDTV broadcasts. The Sony has DVI output to match the NEC's input, at least that is what the sales literature says:)

I had settled on the Panasonic DMR E-80HS for recording UNTIL I downloaded the manual and cannot find any reference to a DVI port.

I was trying to keep the entire signal path digital. Is this possible? Is there a DVD recorder/PVR with DVI output? Is this a worth while effort?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Search this forum,

You cannot and will not every be able to record an DVI digital out. To record HD from an STB to recordable DVD/D-VHS you have to have anFirewire interface.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so I need a Firewire connection instead of DVI. Still looking for some guidance on whether this is a worthwhile path to pursue or not and if it is which DVR/DVD recorder combo will provide the proper connections. The Sony does not have a Firewire out as far as I can tell so that may not be the right unit either!

To clarify, I do not currently have either a Sat receiver or a DVR/DVD recorder but intend to purchase them soon. I love my NEC projector and want to get the maximum potential from it which I have read is to use the DVI interface.

Frankly, I am not even married to satellite as it is about the same price as cable in my area (Indianapolis). I just want to get OTA and either cable or sat HD programming.

Froggie

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Froggie,

With a DVD recorder you will only be able to record standard definition. If that is what you want, this may be an incorrect forum. If you want to record high definition you have to go to either tape with DVHS or hard drive w/HTPC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.