AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I will be interested to hear the responses to this one as i've been up all night reading through the threads for an answer. I have a WIN XP Pro system with a Xtasy Geforce 4 Ti 4400 graphics card. I have this system connected directly to my Hitachi 57UWX20B HDTV Widescreen Television via a Single Link DVI cable. Windows has automatically set up a Plug and Play Monitor Driver which will not allow me to surpass a resolution of 848x480. How do I achieve higher resolutions? I've read through the forums on here and i've used the latest version of Powerstrip attempting to add new resolutions to my driver. But this has failed in every attempt. I'm left with the same options for resolutions in my Display Adapter List (848x480 and lower). On top of that...in this 848x480 resolution I can't even see my entire desktop. The top, bottom, left, and right are both off the screen by a good inch. I wish to use this HTPC mostly for gaming but also for viewing DIVX movies as I have a Progressive Scan DVD player and i'm pleased with it as far as DVD's are concerned.

So my interests are listed in this order:

1) How do I get my Display Adapter/Monitor Driver to allow higher resolutions as I know it should.

2) Failing that..what are the best timing settings so that I can at least see all of my desktop on my television

All help is greatly appreciated!!

Rob

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is a common but complex situation that many have tried to solve. However, you seem to at least be able to get the card to see the TV and load any driver for it,and a decent picture at some resolution which is more than some other RPTV users can say.

Toshiba's cannot even get a picture that does not roll at anything above 640 x480 using DVI. Period. Sync issues are too great for mere mortals to tackle.

Most succesful (res above 640 x 480) DVI users so far that I have seen are using plasma, DLP, or LCD RPTV's, and Projectors. Few RPTV users report anything mcuh better than what you are getting now using DVI.

Note: I have been scouring this board and others for help for months now and so far I have concluded the following concerning this matter. I am no electrical or computer engineer, so pardon me if I make some conclusion that is flawed. I welcome any clarification or correction to my theory by anyone reading this. I am simply trying to help this guy and work through this for myself as well.

Powerstrip

Most HD-RPTV (as well as many Direct view CRT based HDTV's) owners have had some minor success using DVI and powerstrip. (JVC and Mitsubishi RPTV's seem to have the greatest success with Hitachi in there after that, but maybe it jsut seems that way because more of them happen to post to this board.)

They mostly say the picture is great but overscan is a problem. Some have partially solved this overscan problem on their sets and are able to get some usable resolutions by experimenting with powerstrips settings.

It is a complicated piece of software and every single change to one area makes a change in another area that is usually not what is wanted, so you have to check all the settings for each small change, and you have to do it in a certain order to make it stick, so it takes much time to reset it and test it, then start over again if it does not work the way you want.

Unfortunately it is also different settings for each tv and video card combination because they are all different. You must methodically test and retest and find what works for your setup. Different applications will require different settings as well. DVD is different from games, pc desktop different, HD different etc.

Even if you have powerstrip and understand how to use it, that's not the only hurdle.

Drivers

Many think that the card drivers are to blame for alot of problems because when they boot up the PC they get good res until the card and monitor drivers load up. Only way to fix this is to write custom video card and TV monitor drivers or wait for Nvidia, ATI, Microsoft or other chipmaker to do it for us.

Perhaps your TV is only capable of what you are getting so far.

Have you used that utility called moninfo? to get some specs from the TV? I read where a guy used this and the results helped him get some info that helped him configure powerstrip more accurately for his particular tv.

You said you are using a generic plug and play monitor driver that windows supplied . Perhaps this driver is telling the card that your monitor is only capable of the resolutions you are getting so far and its innacurate information. This happens with Pc monitiors all the time. The generic driver is too conservative, so you go get the driver from the manufacturer and then it works much better.

I read where the master of Powerstrip "Mr. Wayne Harrelson" aka "Karnis" wrote a custom monitor driver for his Mits RPTV, (but he is using powerstrip with a vga to component convertor not DVI so this may or may not completely solve your problem) Just an idea. I downloaded this driver and am saving it for when I start to fiddle with the DVI out myself. Got a DVI-d single link cable on order now.

May be useful- At least its a CRT based HD RPTV driver that is in use by someone we know, not a plasma driver or a generic plug and play driver like the one Microsoft is supplying for your setup now. Might help, might not.

DVI with HDCP

Some people think that the DVI/HDCP is what is goofing things up. I do not know much about this. Nobody does.

Good luck.

Dee

·
Registered
353 Posts
Interesting posts. I had not thought much about researching DVI. I thought it would work out of the box.

I pointed a friend to a cheap DVI connector via eBay. The connector arrived last week so I showed up with my PC with generic ATI 9000 Sapphire card and DVI. Without thinking about DVI, I did not bring a standard monitor along. When I got there I said, "Damn this won't work. I must switch the monitor set-up prior to connecting DVI". We hooked it up anyway and it worked out of the box at 720x480. After playing a bit we selected the highest of three available options at 1900x540. Looked pretty good but not great.

Having only three resolution setting to chose from I came here today thinking someone had it all figured out. Were we lukcy to get good picture? or am I missing something?

Bottom line, comparing the picture quality to my HTPC setup and CRT projector, the RPTV should look better than it did. If people are having poor results, maybe we are doing pretty good?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to dlj189, Primarily right now I am still using the plug and play generic monitor drive. But I have downloaded a custom monitor driver from a thread in this forum that was designed for someone having a similar issue with his Hitachi 57SWX20B RPTV. This model is essentially identical to my own plus a few fancy features and a new lens system or something. Regardless...i've tried it as well as a many other monitor drivers and still no luck. The custom driver for the 57SWX20B was designed to support up to 1920x540 res but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Aside from trying to figure this whole issue out...might I better to tackle a VGA to HDTV dongle type situation? I've read quite a bit about users taking this approach rather than using the DVI cable directly. Would I still have the clearity of picture? (Be able to read my desktop text?) I'm open to attempting other idea's.

I bought this single link DVI cable very cheap off of ebay as a means of testing in the event that this very situation occurred. If it had worked I was gunna sink my money into a higher quality dual link cable which supports the 1920x540 res. But I was under the assumption that the single link DVI cables supported up to 1280x1024.

I'll look for that moninfo program as well and if I can find it i'll supply the results to you.

Bensons...sounds like you got lucky dude! I have a great picture with mine but just not the resolution i'm looking for. That plus the overscan issue that will prolly take me some time to work around with powerstrip.

In the meantime...thanks for the help all.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wonder if there is someone at Nvidia we can send an email to requesting they research into this? I'm wanting to use one of my computers as a HTPC but don't want to spend the extra money to hook it up via component input. I'd rather use DVI. :rolleyes: Guess we're all in the same boat and don't know where the captain is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
can you explain a little bit about how you got as far as you did?

I have the same tv hooked through dvi to my radeon 9700, and i can't seem to get anything other than 640x480 resolution, which wouldn't be SO bad, but the desktop itself is set to 800x600, so it wants to scroll up and down.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have a hitachi 51swx20b and had no problem getting it to work at 960x540 using a radeon 7000 and a dual link DVI cable. No custom monitor driver and using the latest powerstrip. 1920x540 works also but doesn't look good. I've been wanting to get 1920x1080 interlaced to work but no luck on that one yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
well i accidentally switched to 1920 x 1080, and the tv claims to be in 1080i. And it does actually look like I'm getting 1900ish pixels horizontally. But it looks like I'm only getting 480 on the vertical, as it is scrolling a lot vertically.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
If you can't change the rez from 848x480, then try to change the timings. While your current rez is 848x480p, go into the advanced timings screen of Powerstrip. What is the scan rate, refresh rate and vertical line total, 31.5KHz, 60Hz and 525? This means your HTPC is like a progressive scan DVD player, 480p. To make your HTPC emulate a 540p set top box, the numbers are 33.75KHz, 59.947Hz and 563. Use the guide in my sig and learn how to get these values exactly, and running 848x480p at 540p timings should help with your overscan problem.

DVI is very strict about what resolutions it will allow. The result is usually a virtual desktop (side scrolling). You can try double-clicking on the monitor icon next to the resolution slider in the display profiles screen of Powerstrip to try to uncap rez limits. YMMV...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK I went into the advanced timing of Powerstrip and changed to those settings. All it did was move the screen around slightly as the previous settings were not that much different. I'm not sure if this will help at all but every time I enable the digital output to the TV, the TV automatically goes into 1080i mode and it won't let me switch to anything else. Also, changing the timing to those settings did VERY little and the overscan is still massive.

In the advanced timing screen and the custom resolutions screen, it says that the active pixels are 1920x540. This is definitely not the resolution i'm in. The amount of desktop space on the TV right now looks like 640x480 rez that i'd get on my standard PC monitor. I've tried messing with the settings in the advanced timing quite a bit. Everytime I get close to having the screen fit, it either looks like the taskbar is jumping out at me, the text gets very fuzzy, or my desktop starts scrolling up through the screen and back up from the bottom again over and over.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there any chance that it's the cable that is limiting me to 848x480? I am running a cheapo Single Link DVI cable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.